The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm not trying to identify this one as its pretty easy to work out what it is. Its just that its the biggest I've so far seen.
Its a Giant Puffball or Calvatia Gigantea
DSC00319.jpg

DSC00320.jpg

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
PS Remember to leave a few...and don't bother picking ones with great slug-holes in them. :)

Haha! Don't worry, I left plenty of the tiny/half eaten ones! :)

I also took some snaps of some other mushrooms that I encountered today, which I may upload soon, as I'd love to know what else is about!

Unrelated side note- I see you're from Brighton, I don't suppose you support the local football team do you?

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
s'étonner;959299 said:
Haha! Don't worry, I left plenty of the tiny/half eaten ones! :)

I also took some snaps of some other mushrooms that I encountered today, which I may upload soon, as I'd love to know what else is about!

Please do.

Unrelated side note- I see you're from Brighton, I don't suppose you support the local football team do you?

I have lived in Brighton for the last 13 years, but I'm actually from South London.

eagle.jpg

Big game on the 27th...

Shame about Glenn Murray, eh? :D

Last edited:

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Please do.

I have lived in Brighton for the last 13 years, but I'm actually from South London.

eagle.jpg

Big game on the 27th...

Shame about Glenn Murray, eh? :D

Oh dear, I didn't think they'd let your sort on here... :lmao:

It may be a big game for a tin pot club like Palace (probably your cup final!) but not us ;)

Only kidding mate! Should be a cracking match!

As for Murray, time will tell whether he can show some consistency now he's over his injury problems. I don't think we saw the best of him till last season. I have to say that signing Mackail-Smith, and Vicente Rodriguez has eased my sense of loss after he left though.... :cool:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Horn of Plenty:

13d96515d2ebadbcb6fff4d0bdf863a1c012890df611256dfc9450040a238d015g.jpg

It's my lucky day. I've been searching for these for 25 years. It was the last commonly-eaten British fungus (apart from some of the spring species and subterranean truffles) I'd never found. I didn't actually find these either - one of my foraging clients spotted them after I'd walked straight past....as I have no doubt done many times before.

:)

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Here's a few things I spotted today:

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

Boletes of some kind. Found growing in the back garden! Any ideas?

IMG_0948.jpg

Shaggy Parasol? My dad found it whilst playing golf!

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Hey Geoff Dann, thanks for the help!

Slippery Jack. You have pine trees in your garden I presume.

I think that there's some kind of small pine in the front garden, which would be just over the fence from where I picked the Boletes. Will have to check, because if not, the only tree close to where I found them is an ash!

Close relative of. This is Macrolepiota rhacodes var. bohemica, which doesn't have a common name.

Didn't know about that one! Can I eat it? :D

Guessing it just carries the same possible risk of gastric upset as the common ones?

Thanks again mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE