Common Puffballs: have I struck gold, or just picked a bunch of toxic fungi?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Hey guys :)

I went out picking mushrooms today, and found what I believe to be a bunch of common puffballs. They were found under pine in some local woods (I live in the East Midlands).

I was wondering if anyone here could help me to positively ID them, as I don't want to be poisoned!

Here's some photos. Thanks for reading!

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0929-1.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Only a beginner here but they dont look liek puffballs to me, not the right colour or texture outside, wrong stalk, wrong location.
I guess if i liked eating mushrooms i would learn a little more lol, i am sure someone else will be along with a pos ID but i wouldnt eat em.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Thanks for the advice. I've picked and eaten giant puffballs before, and they have a smoother texture with basically no stalk, and are as the name suggests, bigger than these! I have only found those in fields. These are new to me though so would surprise me if they're not the right type!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
for gawds sake please be 101% sure they are the Common Puffball, although the pics you posted appear to confirm this is the Common Puffball, it is impossible to 101% id a fungi over the internet, im not a Mycologist by any means and i dont want to be responsible for someone harming themselves because of what they read on a forum.

I always work to the age old adage of

"If In Doubt, Leave It Out"

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Pity you can't get some sort of chemical testing kit - I did read once that you used to be able to take them to the pharmacist to ID. Not sure if that's the truth though, would be handy.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Yeah I know that in France you can do that but don't think so here :/

Too late Kepis, they're already in the pan!

Only kidding! I'll only try them if I can be totally sure. Not worth the risk at all! There's a local mycologist group based near me, so might show them to those guys before I fry them up!

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I'm pretty sure these are common puffballs and that you are ok with these but as always it's your decision and best check with the local experts. The good thing is that once you have positively ID'd the patch where they grow, you can go back for more with 100% confidence.

Nasty lookalikes : Earthballs are poisonous but are brown inside, not white. Juvenile death-caps etc can look like puffballs, but the baddies show feature development if sliced open (the classic "alien face") and these don't.

These are also in nice fresh condition inside, not powdery or discoloured.

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
They look fine to me. White centre=good eating...butter and garlic in a frying pan after you peel the skin off them and they're lovely! Enjoy.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
They're a bit fiddly but you can score it with a knife or fingernail and pull it off. They're worth the hassle in my mind but not as easy to prep as a giant puffball. I quite like these as they taste nice and are easy to identify. As I said so long as the inside is nice and white you're fine.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Ok, just fried a few up and have to say that they are delicious! Lovely, almost sweet flavour, and the bacon fat was definitely a cracking idea- they have gone all gold and crispy on the outside. NOM :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Common name for those is 'Deadly Hipbone' as they look like an old hip bone. Death is slow and painful with first symptoms kicking in about 8 hours after ingestion. :vio:

Only joking, looking again they do look like common or garden English puff balls, we have much bigger balls of course in Wales:cool:

Enjoy, fry in smoked bacon fat :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE