M65 us army fishtail parka

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Hello one and all.
I thought that I would post up,and find out what everyone thinks of the good old M65 parka.
I've always liked them,but have only recently re-aquainted myself with the aforesaid.My purchase was largely because...well....sometimes there's no need for justification.But,..does anyone here actually use one?
I'd be interested to hear about your experiences.Bayleaf...out.

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Thanks,but no.I mean the m65 parka.Not the m65 combat jacket.The M51 is close,but it has a sewn on hood,where-as the M65 has a detachable hood.
Strangely,I thought that this thread might get a few replies.Oh well.....I'll get me coat.

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
I bought one in that awful weather last winter, brilliant windproof but the hood is too heavy with that felt liner sewn into it and I would like the pockets to be lower. Still love it though, and they look good! I recently bough a M65 Field Jacket too, its brilliant and I can see myself spending many happy hours inside it.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Always wondered what the fishtail was actually for?

From Wikipedia:

The name fishtail comes from the fact that the coat is longer at the back than it is at the front. This was so the coat could be tied around the upper legs, much like a Knochensack for added wind proofing as they are not, as some think, waterproof

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Ah ha....The thing is that they are waterproof.They are treated with QUARPEL,which the US army have been using since the tail end of the second world war.I'm not too good a making links,but a google for quarpel should shine some light on the subject.
I have recieved my parka now,..and I have to say that it is a fantastic piece of kit but,as already mentioned above,the hood is quite heavy for summer use.The quilted liner is removable,rendering the outer very useful for summer use.I intend to use mine for bushcrafty things,but will have to get over the hump of despoiling its brilliant newness,(un-issued...and only £83 delivered...good old ebay).
Now then...to find a summer weight hood....

Oh! and thanks for posting guys.The M65 parka seems to be a poor relation in the bushcraft world.

Last edited:

Lepmeister

Apr 23, 2012
Australia
I have what I think is a M65 in the mail now to use for buchcraft adventures. Will only be suitable in the blue mountains in winter. With the lining and hood, put from what I understand they are removable so I may get 3 seasons out of it?

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Well,...here's an update.
It is a solid and dependable multi season jacket.The liner is a useful lightweight around the camp jacket,when removed from the outer.
The hood is heavy,but very effective.There appears to be no lightweight version.
So far,very waterproof.When it starts to give up,I intend to re-proof it.
On the trail,it is best without the liner,and a few layers worn underneath.Without the liner it packs away to a size which belies its true volume.
For real space saving,remove the hood and leave it at home.
For the overall cost,this is not just a great buy,but a real understated classic,in the truest sense of the word.
I can't really understand why they aren't more popular with the bushcraft scene.
The other plus?.....never wear overtrousers again. (mind you...I never did).

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
I had the M65 parka back in the 80s. A great coat! Warm and dry winter and summer! I dont remember the rain ever getting through the coat and I was out in all weathers in it!

Have fun and enjoy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE