Fungi Foraging in Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Does anyone know of any Forage walks with an experienced fungi collector that are happening in Scotland?

I love mushrooms and have quite a few books, but I'm just not brave enough to rely on them solely for ID.

Would love to spend some time with someone experienced who could help me with this.
Even just being able to positively ID 2 or 3 types of common edible fungi would be brilliant.

My only easy ID one atm is the Jelly Ear :eek:

Cheers
Ness :)

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Thanks Ian :)

The college isnt doing anything here Shewie:(
the local council has a couple of little walks arranged in some of the local nature reserves, but they are a bit too basic to give me the confidence I need to actually eat the things we find

Cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There's also Woodsmoke's Autumn Harvester in the Lake District, with the excellent Fergus Drennan, which heavily features fungi

Have you done this one mate? I was thinking of booking on with Patrick for something but this looks really useful

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I joined the Clyde and Argyll fungus group, part of the wider Scottish one
http://sites.google.com/site/scottishfungi/local-groups

One new member posted saying that she organised fungus collection talks/walks in the Crieff area. I had wondered about seeing if something could be done at Comriecroft.

Thing is though, as Paul (Listenclear) said, they don't focus on edible or useful fungi, but on recognising and recordign all fungi. I don't know if the expert that this lady brings along does this too, or would be prepared to do an ID and recognition more appropriate to our interests.

cheers,
Mary

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
You beat me to it Mary. Yeah, the forays are great but some folks do look down their noses when you tell them that you are only really interested in what you can eat. My experience is though, is that those who know the most are just pleased to help anyone who shows an interest in any area of mycology - loads of folk get 'the bug' once they start learning and start to learn more than just edible fungi etc.
Not me though - I'm all about the food!!:D

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Have you done this one mate? I was thinking of booking on with Patrick for something but this looks really useful

Yes I have mate and it was the BEST COURSE EVER! The feast is simply superb, hangi-oven, venison, game pies - unbelievable. Fergus is a real expert and as mad as a hatter so great entertainment. A lot of people do it more than once, it's that good.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yes I have mate and it was the BEST COURSE EVER! The feast is simply superb, hangi-oven, venison, game pies - unbelievable. Fergus is a real expert and as mad as a hatter so great entertainment. A lot of people do it more than once, it's that good.

Hmmm, might give them a ring tomorrow

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Are you in Inverness? This one in Culbin Forestt is run every year. The lady is very good who runs it, sadly Culbin is a bit lacking in edible species however still worth a trip out. I might go again this year.

Looks like there might be one in Glen Affric also:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/...orestsofMorayandAberdeenshireCulbinFungiForay

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/westhigh06.pdf/$FILE/westhigh06.pdf

Any excuse to go to Glen Affric is worthwhile!

Hi,

Far from being any sort of survival expert or anything here but I do enjoy a good forage for my food as in short it tastes far better than anything you buy at the super market.

I live near Inverness on the black isle and forrage once a month for that months finest foods and I pretty much have a 30 mile radius mapped out on where I can go to get the things I like.

Today I was out for 5/6 hours and got enough of the below foods to last me until this time next year and is is tradition with me picked enough extra Chantrelles to put the fuel in my car for both journeys as I pass a mushroom picking station on the road home. Just now Chantrelles up here are £3 per kilo so 3 and a bit kilos (roughly a carrier bag) will put fuel in the car for the journey.

On todays menu and my intention with them is.
1. Chantrelle
These are my favorites and I dehydrate 50% of my crop and the other 50% I fry lightly in some butter with some and pop it in freezer bags, it keeps all winter no problem and when you pop the mixture back in the pan you do not loose much flavour. The dehydrated mushrooms I tend to use more in soups or sauces, they rehydrate well over night in a glass of water and I add the mushrooms complete with the water to any cream based sauce and cook off the excess water to maintain the flavour.

2. Winter Chantrelle
As above.

3. Cep / Porcini
4. Boletes / Various but all good.
pop 50% in the blender and chop 50% reasonably chunky, boil up the blended ones and add the chunks at a late stage with a pinch of salt. A dash of chicken stock in this makes and excellent soup and the whole mixture freezes.

5. Rosehip
There are various people suggesting making syrup from these but in reality 100g of rosehips makes about 10ml of syrup so why bother ? I just boil them up, press out the seeds and use the pulp to make a sweet tasting fruit roll. They do spoil quickly and preserving them is a waste of time as they lose nearly all flavour.

6. Last of the Wild Cherrys
Jam ofc

7. Elderberrys
Although not technically wild an old derelict house near where I stay has an abundance of these in the over grown garden. These make a million and one things but my fav is to boil them up, smear the paste onto grease proof paper and over it dry which makes a kind of brittle fruiy pastey sweet which if kept dry lasts a long time, it can be added to a jam or if added to a meat certainly gives a lovely aroma and flavour.

Any hoo, get in touch if you want to come out with me in a few weeks time.

Mark

MoWilde

Hi Ness

A bit late in replying but not for the mushrooms which are having a good year! I run courses if you're still interested. Info at http://bit.ly/MoWa1k

Cheers
Mo

Does anyone know of any Forage walks with an experienced fungi collector that are happening in Scotland?

I love mushrooms and have quite a few books, but I'm just not brave enough to rely on them solely for ID.

Would love to spend some time with someone experienced who could help me with this.
Even just being able to positively ID 2 or 3 types of common edible fungi would be brilliant.

My only easy ID one atm is the Jelly Ear :eek:

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE