What did you learn at the Bushmoot?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
What skills or knowledge did you gain at the 2011 Mott?

I learnt that if looks like crap, smells like crap, feels like crap and tastes like crap it probably is Tesco's ryebread.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I learned (at the PreMoot course) - several new to me leatherworking methods and some great ideas for camp furniture from sticks!
At the Moot itself I picked up some new to me ideas for basketry, how to build a "Father and Son" bow (thanks George!) and how to lose an archery contest to a teenager using a broken bow, some cooking ideas, some field kitchen gadgets ideas, how to avoid suicidal cyclists, how to help steal hats, how to accept ritual humiliation gracefully and how to cover the full length of the site in a hurry with both knees locked together after indulging in Nettle Beer the night before.......

PS
I also learned that if you cannot hold your drink you should not pick it up .......
and not everyone reads the "camp fire etiquet" threads before going on the Moot
and your best mates - are always out to stich you up!

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I learned (at the PreMoot course) - several new to me leatherworking methods and some great ideas for camp furniture from sticks!

I was on the same course with John and like him I learnt some great leatherwork methods and green woodworking techniques which will come in handy :)

The rest of the moot I saw some neat kitchen gadgets... how simple pyrography is when done by an expert :rolleyes:... how mind blowing Dave Budds chilli vodka was this year :yikes: and I refreshed my memory with regards net making (thanks Ed and Ogri :) )

how to accept ritual humiliation gracefully......

It's only ritual if it happens again next year John ;) As for this year... it was worth it judging by the look on your face when you got your proper card :)

... how to cover the full length of the site in a hurry with both knees locked together after indulging in Nettle Beer the night before.......

Thankfully I didn't partake of John's nettle beer other than a mouth full :lmao::lmao:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I learnt how to fall out of a hammock the hard way. And how easy it is to spend money on things that l really must have but don't know what to do with.

I learnt how to tablet weave...going to give it another go over the weekend and hopefully post up the results. :)
I also learnt that a head torch is not always necessary (apologies to Ogri after blinding him whilst doing the dishes :eek: ), that my knots are holding up pretty well for the hammock, how to make a stool (both Eric's way and my own), an idea confirming my own on making a large group table, how not to slice my thumb again :eek: and that the wayfarer's chocolate pudding tasted horrible.

Plus I am sure there were many other things, oh including how to keep my gear tidy under the tarp using a tripod.

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
so very very much, i said i came to learn knowledge and skills and indeed i did, thanks to all i met..

i learned, in no particular order: many knots, to work with bark, use bramble for bindings, carve with an axe, principles of knife sharpening, make fishing net, gather seaweed, make camp furniture, amazing camp kitchen variations, principles of wood gas burning stoves, how to find fatwood (yippee), sleep in a hammock, use wood ash as a dye mordant, which woods work best for what, that aspects of leatherwork and basketry are diffiuclt! and thats all that comes to mind, there's stacks more....

oh, and never to take other people's generosity and hospitality for granted. it was good to put faces to names and i take away experiences that i will draw on for a long while. thanks everyone

Brewers Whoop

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2008
Somerset
I learned what an inspiring bunch of people there are on this site, who are unstinting in their generosity with their time and knowledge.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
To carry Antihistamines capsules in my first aid kit , after a bad reaction to 2 wasp strings which nearly put me in hospital .

Topknot.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I too made whoopie slings, made some paracord bracelets, watched longstriders cutting demo with awe and lastly learned how to make a wicked sausage casserole.

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
To carry Antihistamines capsules in my first aid kit , after a bad reaction to 2 wasp strings which nearly put me in hospital .

Topknot.

sorry to hear that but if its any consolation, i was stung 5 times on the premoot course 93 on the face) with barely any reaction. luckily i was carrying antihistamines as had had an extreme reaction to a wasp sting a week previously but the 5 stings barely bothered me at all.... so i reckon youre safe now for the rest of the season!

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Practised my reflector oven bread-making, learned how to rock-climb, saw Longstrider's awesome demonstration :)
Incidentally, my 6 year old nephew saw this photo of Longstrider cutting a can in two pieces:

Chopping a can in two lengthways by Cyclingrelf, on Flickr
After a moment or two contemplating how difficult it would be to chop a can like that without crushing it, he said
"I think he glued it to the wood. I think it was in two pieces, and he glued it to the wood, then when he hit it with the knife the glue came unstuck"
Hmmm...canny! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE