A perfect bushcraft gun??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Thats cool, how long is that barrel? I have no experience with .410 semi autos, but I guess it is zero recoil.

500 pellets must weigh about 750gms, with a 50% hit rate shooting small game would possibly provide 100kg of edible food giving 99.25kgs profit (not including weight of rifle), compared to carrying 500rds of rifle ammo all day, they do feel like they weigh nothing.

I think it may be a pump action

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
For any who have ever wondered, this is what Ray Mears uses to stock his larder these days...

rifle.jpg

...now I did have a note of the details of both rifle and scope, but have mislaid it.

Looks like a Blaser R93 to me (I've just spent the past fortnight sat around in tractor cabs waiting for combines to load me, with nothing but back issues of Sporting Rifle for company) Anyway it must be a very small larder if he handles his rifle around by the scope :eek:

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is a pump indeed spoony - and a Hushpower Bigfoot. Doesn't need a lot of maintenance - but use a mop not a patch - the barrle is ported inside the moderator and a patch can get caught!

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
Looks like a Blaser R93 to me (I've just spent the past fortnight sat around in tractor cabs waiting for combines to load me, with nothing but back issues of Sporting Rifle for company) Anyway it must be a very small larder if he handles his rifle around by the scope :eek:

No problem handleing a rifle by the scope, if scope and mounts can't take it they will never stand up to normal use anyway. Be careful reading too much Sporting Rifle, very much the Sunday Sport of the fieldsports press. Glyn.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Red, long time, no talk. Been busy and haven't logged in here in a while.

That Belgian .410 is neat in how it folds, and I can understand your reasoning for it, considering where you live.

For your little Belgian .410, if I may make a suggestion, look for a sub-caliber insert for it. They are just a rifled steel tube with the strength of a gun barrel that you drop into the open breach of the shotgun barrel just like it was a cartridge. I don't know if they sell such a thing to shooters over there, but there is a company in Anchorage, Alaska, that you can order them from. Legally they aren't a firearm here, just a steel tube, so they can send it through the mail no problem, but on your end though, I'm not sure of the laws that might apply.

http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

They come in 2-3/4", 10", and 18" lengths. For the .410, they come in .22LR, .22mag, .22 Hornet, and .218 Bee.

They also make sub-caliber adapter cartridges.

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

One great combo which should be compatible with your gun laws, is a .223 or a .22-250 with sub-caliber cartridges that you can drop in and shoot .22LR. These look just like cartridges that you pre-load with the smaller rimfire round and then use them just like they were the proper caliber for your rifle. The .223 and the .22-250 have a bore close enough to a .22LR that they typically work surprisingly well. For example, on my 5.56mm AR-15, using a Ceiner semi-auto drop in .22LR adapter, even though the .224" bore was just a bit bigger than the .223" of the .22LR bullet, and the rifling was 1:9 instead of the native 1:16 twist of a .22LR rifle, I could still accurately kill rabbits at 75 yards.

The bush in the area I'm currently in, a hardwood forest with thick undergrowth, is infested with wild pigs. Pigs really aren't native to N. America, only their distant cousin the javelina (peccary, aka 'skunk pig'). The wild pigs can sometimes get very aggressive and mean, and they sometimes get very large. It's open season on them, 24/7/365, kill as many as you want, any time you want. So, for wandering around in the bush around here, I prefer something with a bit more punch than a .22LR or a .410 and preferably something with some extra follow up shots rapidly available.

We also have as common game animals around here lots of white tailed deer (they are a road hazard in town at night), ducks, and alligators, but there are specific seasons for those. A while back a 7ft alligator somehow found his way into the garden department at the local Wal-Mart and was wandering around freaking out the shoppers. Alligator is very tasty.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
:) You don't say ;)

Now if you want a gun for poaching, my friends gun was, perhaps, designed with that in mind

Walking Stick Gun by British Red, on Flickr

Walking Stick Gun Breech by British Red, on Flickr

Walking Stick Gun Trigger by British Red, on Flickr

Walking Stick Gun Muzzle by British Red, on Flickr

...a real collectors item now though...

That brings back some childhood memories. The old major that lived in the big house in the village used to walk his long drive and shoot squirrels with one.

The mad old b****r also used to fire rock salt at us if we were in his fields or orchard. Never deterred us, just made it more of a challenge.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE