Intellectual betterment.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
If I may. If someone on here claimed to be able to make a feather stick, I'd believe them. If someone came on here and said "I invented the feather stick" I wouldn't. My strong reaction to Jonathans claim of being in the top 1%, globally, while being married to one of only a handful people 'worldwide' who is as good at maths as his good lady, is as a result of the fact it's, well dubious at best. By way of proof, he has produced a document which is clearly not a 'certificate' but a letter from Mensa saying he is quite bright and he should take it further. With a knife strategically placed to obscure the key bits.

surely continuing down this totally unneccessary path is just gonna lead to you having to provided definative evidence with every post you make for the next few months, lets hope you dont get diahorrea cause thats gonna be grim,

why is it so hard to believe someone could be in the top 1% of the population and married to a maths genius, opposites dont always attracted, have you never seen a tall person married to another tall person, or a married couple smoking together,

as for the earlier maths stuff, about it not existing and being made up, while technically that could be argued, especially given the different types of system, binary, decimal, hexidecimal, etc, your arguments are all just symantics, maybe you could come up with your own system were 1 + 1 = 9, but if you had a cake, and i gave you another cake, you'd still have 2 cakes, or deux if your in france, as for the other stuff, generally if its fact it wont change, the earth being flat was never a fact, it was a hypothesis, it being round is a fact because people have seen it, not a good example because of the limited amount of people who have seen the earth with their own eyes, especially given the amount of people who think that the entire space race was a hoax, but it'll do, plus theres the calculation made at different points that proved curvature, all your really talking about is that someone decided to give it a name, my missus does that all the time, saying the time doesnt exist cause its a name we gave to something, but i can prove that it does, because if time didnt exist then you could never be early late or on time for anything, which means she'd be wrong to get mad at me for being late, and as shes aparantly never gets mad at me without a reason, and is always made at me for being late, then time must exist

Last edited:

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
surely continuing down this totally unneccessary path is just gonna lead to you having to provided definative evidence with every post you make for the next few months, lets hope you dont get diahorrea cause thats gonna be grim,

why is it so hard to believe someone could be in the top 1% of the population and married to a maths genius, opposites dont always attracted, have you never seen a tall person married to another tall person, or a married couple smoking together,

Ha, you're probably right, I'll have to be careful with any claims I make! It should be OK though, as I am the most honest person in Britain. As difficult as it may appear to believe, this thread took an unexpected turn, I certainly wasn't expecting it to go how it did. The claims just shook me, and seemed bold but easily proved. Instead I was called a troll, and although I do live under a bridge between two meadows (one of which is considerably more grassy than the other), I have never hassled any goats, just the odd maiden who I eat by roasting them using a stick thing I invented, which I call a 'spit'.

Maybe we can leave it now, everything can return to normal, and I can go back to writing Bushcraft books and composing hit sings for Jedward and U2.

Honestly, I wonder if Marcus de Sauto or Emma could have worked out the odds of this thread going this way? I reckon it must have been 1,000,000s to 1. I can't wait for next Wednesdays episode:eek:

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
I like your point but i don't yet know if you or i exist so i can't elaberate on it :p

that would suggest that you are thinking about the subject, therefore you think, therefore you are, at least thats what i think, therefore i must be to, so if we both exist, then you must like my point, therefore thank you

Maybe we can leave it now, everything can return to normal, and I can go back to writing Bushcraft books and composing hit sings for Jedward and U2.

a jokes a joke, but its dangerous to make any claim that could possibly pertain to be involved in the creation of or on going so called success of jedward,

Last edited:

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
But Was Viktor Reznov a figment of Alex Masons imagination??

only after the prison break out, he existed but he died in the break out, and then everytime he popped up after that was in masons head, reznov used some crazy russian mind messing thing on him, that fortunately some other russians had previously tried to do to mason, so that was convenient

Isnt it true that Data has to exist in three different place for it to be considerer real, does the same go for data created characters?

i have copy of black ops, and so does my friend and brother in law, so that is three copies

What has Star Trek got to do with this?

data also technically exists in three different places cause brent spiner played data, his brother lore and his creator dr soong, so technically three different places, i seem to remember an episode with all three in at once as well, good times

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Right, let's address a few simple things here shall we. Number one the knife doesn't cover up anything exciting. It's just there to prove that those two pieces of paper where mine, and were only posted to show which of the testing methods I took, as I had no idea when you asked. They certainly are not certificates there, they were just close to hand and quite amazing that I found them so easily within my old service stuff I keep in a briefcase in my office. The details are blurred as at contains personal details relating to my then profession and also my name (which was not always Deval). That piece of paper does indeed state that it was an unsupervised test, which it was as a MENSA representative was not present. Although at least four DS were, so actually was well supervised, as you don't cheat in front of them. After that test score, I passed the required level I had to achieve to go further. I then had to submit to a MENSA supervised test at Aston university and scored 148 if I remember correctly. I do have all of my certificates up to 2006 (apart from that first one) safe and sound with all my other school, college and Uni stuff at my old home. It is MENSAs claim that such a score registers in the top 1%, not mine. And was done so to show that 1% is a small amount of people, and a higher score would obviously be rarer. And Emms score is way higher than mine was back then, let alone now (she still renews her membership). Although I do claim that the tests do favour mathematically minded individuals far more than zoologically minded ones :rolleyes: Actually for those folk here that have completed MENSA tests, they will confirm that the majority of the test questions are aimed at common sense rather than difficult algorithms or equations.

This pushing for proof and more proof scenaria is a little weird and has developed into a little more than idle curiosity me thinks, mean where does it stop, we will be coming around to your place next and completing tests in front of you. It also hasn't passed my attention that you are attributing quotes like 'handful of people', to me, although I never said that and my actual quote was 'very few people'. I stand by that quote. Very very few people do what I do, very few people ride a unicycle or are members of Bushcraft forums. And very few people teach maths at BSc and MMath level, the latter specifically. Emm does. But not only that, it is more than a job as she persues it actively as a hobby at home and has a real passion for numbers to an extent to which, I frankly, can't understand and never will. But that does put her in a very small minority. A very very small one.

Oh, and the role reversal thing was in reference to me and her, as she is normally the person going OTT on a thread and I'm always telling here to just ignore it and leave well alone. Billybob is also right, I'm 6'2" and she's a short ****.

Last edited:

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
Very very few people do what I do, very few people ride a unicycle or are members of Bushcraft forums

i can ride a unicycle, i have never tho, nor have interest in ever, put my fingers into the orifices of snakes or any other exotic creatures though, you can keep that as your own special characteristic

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
i can ride a unicycle, i have never tho, nor have interest in ever, put my fingers into the orifices of snakes or any other exotic creatures though, you can keep that as your own special characteristic
That makes at least 3 of us. I once rode mine round the top of the world trade centre. But I too shall keep well clear of the snakes.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I didn't say 'handful', I said 'very few'. And it's true. Without bragging (well maybe just a tad), I have an IQ which is in the top 1% worldwide (although it really is wasted on me as I'm far too intellectually lazy). That is lower than Emms was at 15, so yes, it does put her in the 'very few' category.

Be honest, are you and the wife in fact Reed 'Mr Fantastic' Richards and Sue Storm from the Fantastic Four? Sorry to rumble your cover, I read far too many comic books. Must be my low IQ :p

ultimate-fantastic-four.jpg

EmmaD

Forager
Feb 27, 2011
South Staffs
Those qoutes are put up out of context. Jon was trying to defend me. That is the first time ever that I have seen/heard him talk about his intelligence without putting himself down in the same sentence.

What is sad is the way people respond to anyone who says they are clever, like it is something to be ashamed of. And then they take the ****. Why should it be a stigma. It is something to be proud of. Not to be hidden.

As for maths. It is MY personal religion. Which is why I can get het up. I was out of order having a pop at Billybob, but the personal issues brought up since have been bang out of order.

Maggot, you have been personal, confrontational, rude and provocative. You have basically called Jon a liar unless he bow to your wishes and provide proof. Why should he. His integrity is intact and should never have been questioned. He has been tolerant and polite. You have behaved just as badly, if not worse than me.

Let us bow out now. This has become uneccessary and not in the forum spirit. I started it. I will finish it.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well said!

However, I've just had an enjoyable few minutes scanning the posts that have been put up since I've been away. Can't they carry on with the banter if they leave the personal behind. Such a strange thread to invoke Godwins too. Love the comment about stoners discussion on philosophy (or whatever it was). So true.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
Those qoutes are put up out of context. Jon was trying to defend me. That is the first time ever that I have seen/heard him talk about his intelligence without putting himself down in the same sentence.

What is sad is the way people respond to anyone who says they are clever, like it is something to be ashamed of. And then they take the ****. Why should it be a stigma. It is something to be proud of. Not to be hidden.

As for maths. It is MY personal religion. Which is why I can get het up. I was out of order having a pop at Billybob, but the personal issues brought up since have been bang out of order.

Maggot, you have been personal, confrontational, rude and provocative. You have basically called Jon a liar unless he bow to your wishes and provide proof. Why should he. His integrity is intact and should never have been questioned. He has been tolerant and polite. You have behaved just as badly, if not worse than me.

Let us bow out now. This has become uneccessary and not in the forum spirit. I started it. I will finish it.

It finishes when it finishes Emma, and there are two further episodes to go yet!

I must confess, I have called Jonathan a bit of a fibber, I have stated several times that I have no reason to believe either of you aren't very bright indeed, just not that bright shall we say? I never expected him to prove anything, honestly. I have also stated several times that I believe you are both thoroughly nice and decent people, who incidentally, it would no doubt be a pleasure to get to know.

I have never taken the piss out of anyone who said they were clever, although maths at De Soutas and your level leaves me somewhat lagging, I am in fact very clever (not in Mensa, or owt though, but I do make my living nowadays teaching people like doctors and consultants and wot not), it's words more with me though. Language, I love it, all the grammar and stuff.

As for behaving as badly as you, no I don't think so. You accused me of that heinious internet chatroom sin of 'Trollling', I have never trolled in my life, just because someone questions or disagrees, they aren't trolling, just questioning or disagreeing.

So, no hard feelings eh? I look forward to more intellectual debates, and more talking complete shite with the pair of you in the future. I have to go now, because Kylie has just got out of the shower, and the little Antipodean Minx doesn't like to be kept waiting, if you know what I mean............."Coming Kylie":naughty:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
No mate. It finishes now, before I start joining in! JD is my mate and I will not have him or his wife spoken to that way! I recommend this thread gets locked now please Tony.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It finishes when it finishes Emma, and there are two further episodes to go yet!

I must confess, I have called Jonathan a bit of a fibber, I have stated several times that I have no reason to believe either of you aren't very bright indeed, just not that bright shall we say? I never expected him to prove anything, honestly. I have also stated several times that I believe you are both thoroughly nice and decent people, who incidentally, it would no doubt be a pleasure to get to know.

I have never taken the piss out of anyone who said they were clever, although maths at De Soutas and your level leaves me somewhat lagging, I am in fact very clever (not in Mensa, or owt though, but I do make my living nowadays teaching people like doctors and consultants and wot not), it's words more with me though. Language, I love it, all the grammar and stuff.

As for behaving as badly as you, no I don't think so. You accused me of that heinious internet chatroom sin of 'Trollling', I have never trolled in my life, just because someone questions or disagrees, they aren't trolling, just questioning or disagreeing.

So, no hard feelings eh? I look forward to more intellectual debates, and more talking complete shite with the pair of you in the future. I have to go now, because Kylie has just got out of the shower, and the little Antipodean Minx doesn't like to be kept waiting, if you know what I mean............."Coming Kylie":naughty:
You have failed to make many friends with this thread mate ... I would go along with the request made to lock it before it goes totally pearshaped.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE