Workshops at the Moot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i would like to make the whoopi slings but have no amsteel i would gladly pay for some how much do i need regards
whoopie sling list
1)dave 53

suenosch

Jul 1, 2009
Chester
Its a bit presumptuous since this will only be my second moot, but here goes anyway.

There are things I could help with - if Ogri would like a knot assistant perhaps. In addition to the usual camp craft ones I have got a few from sailing and climbing.

Also Jane & I used to do a lot of orienteering. It might be possible to do something on that, but aimed primarily at navigation rather than competition.

I do quite a bit of tree handling - including small to medium sized hung up jobs, using hand tools. Saw and axe plus portable winch are my preferred items. So if there's anyone interested in going from dead standing/leaning to firewood or poles I could help with that. Only I'm not sure of the supply situation. We have got masses where we are (not far from Cadair Idris).

We will bring the recorder & guitar to help out with musical entertainment.

Steve

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Was just thinking Ogri, my rope making machine along with your knots might make a reasonable partnership. We'll talk about that too and see what comes up.
I'll also have 10,000 ft of bailer twine and 15,000 ft of thin jute twine for the use of. I got the jute from the ropeworks at Hawes.

Eric

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Been thinking of offering an introduction to camouflage for anyone that wants it - not deep and heavy, but an overview of why things are seen and what can be done to remain inconspicuous. A comparison of military and civvy techniques etc.

Whaddyouthink?

Ogri the trog

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Been thinking of offering an introduction to camouflage for anyone that wants it - not deep and heavy, but an overview of why things are seen and what can be done to remain inconspicuous. A comparison of military and civvy techniques etc.

Whaddyouthink?

Ogri the trog

Nothing wrong with learning "covert". You don't always need to use it, but handy when you do. It'd be very handy for budding wildlife photographers.

Brewers Whoop

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2008
Somerset
I think I read a thread or post somewhere about kids knife safety sessions. I'd like to start my 8 year old (sorry, I've just been corrected: 8 and three quarters year old) off properly, if these are on.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Its a bit presumptuous since this will only be my second moot, but here goes anyway.

There are things I could help with - if Ogri would like a knot assistant perhaps. In addition to the usual camp craft ones I have got a few from sailing and climbing.

Also Jane & I used to do a lot of orienteering. It might be possible to do something on that, but aimed primarily at navigation rather than competition.

I do quite a bit of tree handling - including small to medium sized hung up jobs, using hand tools. Saw and axe plus portable winch are my preferred items. So if there's anyone interested in going from dead standing/leaning to firewood or poles I could help with that. Only I'm not sure of the supply situation. We have got masses where we are (not far from Cadair Idris).

We will bring the recorder & guitar to help out with musical entertainment.

Steve

Cool, thanks for the offers, we'll fit them in, I was just thinking yesterday that we could do with a navigation workshop, if you could prep for that it would be great :D We've got a few maps of the area, do you want me to find them for you?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
There's normally a knife safety brief that you and your son can attend and any number of staff and able assistants who can offer pointers individually.

Just make it known what you want to do.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
When it comes to the pens etc for pyrography we can have power if we want it, it might be easier to get the benches sorted and run an extension cable so we can plug in.

suenosch

Jul 1, 2009
Chester
Hi Tone,

yes, if you have got some maps that could help a lot. I think we have got OS 1:50000 somewhere, but working in a small area, explaining technique, something like 1:10000 or 1:15000 is more suitable. If you have scan capability then maybe I could get to see them soon, which would help with preparation.

Steve

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
When it comes to the pens etc for pyrography we can have power if we want it, it might be easier to get the benches sorted and run an extension cable so we can plug in.

Ah, that would be a great help. I was just trying to figure a way of gettting the inverter power from the car to the work area. A power source will solve all those problems. Brilliant! And we can sort the logistics of that during the three days of the pre-moot course.

Eric

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Tone,

yes, if you have got some maps that could help a lot. I think we have got OS 1:50000 somewhere, but working in a small area, explaining technique, something like 1:10000 or 1:15000 is more suitable. If you have scan capability then maybe I could get to see them soon, which would help with preparation.

Steve

They probably are 50:000 There's quite a bit of orienteering that goes on around the site as I talked to them a few year ago, all their maps stop at the camp site though so there's none of a better size that I could find.

suenosch

Jul 1, 2009
Chester
Hi Tone,

I thought about 1:25000, but even that's a bit too small. So I have had a go at generating a map primarily of the camp ground area using some on-line and off-line tools with a bit of image enhancement. The map prints fine on A4 and the big square in the centre indicates 1km on a side. Below there's a 500m bar.

I'll send you a jpg so that you can see.

An approximate grid reference for the fort is SS874772.

Just realised that I don't know how to email you from here with an attachment, so I'll send it to the shop address shop@bushcraftuk.com.

Steve

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE