Gatco Professional "Edge Mate"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Anyone used one of these?

Appears to be a scaled up version of the Lansky system, handy as I've always felt the Lansky's biggest fault was the difficulty in using it on larger baldes. From looking I'd say also that the hones are better designed from an ergonomic point of view. Question being how well does it work?

Nick in Belfast

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
GA-10005.jpg

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Sorry mate, couldnt help you.

Maybe someone else can.

Cheers,

Jake

bagman

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2003
Oxon
I bought one of these years ago and used it all the time for my sharpening before I bought a Spyderco sharpmaker, and recently an Edge Pro Apex.

They are versitile in that there are several different angles for sharpening different types of blades and as long as you dont try to sharpen too wide a portion of blade before you move the knife in the clamp you can get a very neat result.

The triangular shaped hone for serrated blades did not work too well in my experiance but that may have just been me.

You can get replacement diamond hones as well which make it much easier to rerofile/sharpen the really hard steels.
Doing long blades is a real pain though as you have to keeping moving the blade in the clamp all the time to keep the angles even.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Thanks,

Although the question is now a little irrelevant as I bought one anyway.

I do like it, the size of the hones makes life a little easier, you get the job done in fewer stokes. And the hones themselves are much easier to hold onto than Lansky's.

Will probably supplement the kit with one coarse and one extra fine diamond hone at some stage though.

Nick in Belfast

bagman

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2003
Oxon
Nick - did you get the "holder thingy" to put the clamp in to make it mosre comfortable to use?

It makes a big difference as the clamp in my set is the old cast metal one rather than the plastic one I think they supply now.

I have the course and fine diamond hones and they made re-profiling an ATS34 folder blade a much easier task.

bagman

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2003
Oxon
Great Pebble said:
Nope I didn't get the clamp and my hands are suffering for it.

Nick in Belfast

I'm not quite sure how they can justify selling them without the holder bit?

They are not expensive though IIRC

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Didn't have any in the local hardware emporium, in fact the only had the one kit, which is why I bought it. They also had one of the three stone version but that was the lot.

It's much easier to use than a Lansky though.

Nick in Belfast

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
Hi Guys,

I was in my local fishing tackle shop the other day, looking at one of those exact same kits, he was selling it for £58, is that expensive? Not sure really.
What other manufacturers do similar sharpening kits, can anyone tell me?

Thank's, Karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE