Suggest some bushcrafty android apps please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Can anybody recommend any bushcrafty or useful apps for my android phone?
i've already got a couple of knot apps because frankly i keep forgetting my knots (and i used to be a scout!)
:D
pete

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
GPS status

Compass

Google Sky Map

Survival Guide (US military)

Scanner Radio

Skobbler GPS/sat nav

PDF Reader so you can read all the books you download

All the above are free apps.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have a HTC phone and I have a few:

survive ( the podcast channel)
urban scout for maps and direction
viewranger (for OS mapping)
supercompass a very good compass app
USMC summer survival guide
Survival prep manual
US Military Survival manual
Ranger Handbook
Roger's mushroom (i have the free one)
First aid guide
fishing knots
mountaineering guide
my fishing advisor
my tracks (a navigation aide)
project noah (a plant id app)

hope that helps I find them a usefull back up and a good reference read as well.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One thing, take a spare battery or two, 'smart phones' eat up battery power. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/aa-battery-usb-emergency-backup-power-and-charger-pack-15048 work well, sub £3 delivered you can't go wrong. Also search for 'extended battery for ASDCD(your model) phone' and you will find more and more phones are being catered for

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2400mAh-HQ-Ex...997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c5d702295

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HIGH-EXTENDED...253?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aab845c6d

sort of thing with new back panel for the phone. They even make them for those of you stuck with iPhones http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-IPOWER-CA..._MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item5d2f37a3d7

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
One thing, take a spare battery or two, 'smart phones' eat up battery power. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/aa-battery-usb-emergency-backup-power-and-charger-pack-15048 work well, sub £3 delivered you can't go wrong. Also search for 'extended battery for ASDCD(your model) phone' and you will find more and more phones are being catered for

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2400mAh-HQ-Ex...997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c5d702295

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HIGH-EXTENDED...253?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aab845c6d

sort of thing with new back panel for the phone. They even make them for those of you stuck with iPhones http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-IPOWER-CA..._MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item5d2f37a3d7

all this coming from the man who hates the new techno world !!!! Rik i cant believe it! dont they do an old brass parafin powered phone? lol

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
all this coming from the man who hates the new techno world !!!! Rik i cant believe it! dont they do an old brass parafin powered phone? lol

OOOOOpppps you've misread me lol, I'm actually a bit of a tecno geek, certainly with computers, they're my thaaaannnng. Full home network, base unit media centres to flat screen tellys in all the bedrooms and lounge, over 500 films on my machine (more daily as I back up the family DVD collection) serving the house etc.

I am on the trail of a paraffin powered fridge though, wish me luck :)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
wow, lots to be getting on with!
i'm totally there with the battery thing tho thanks rik, my old phone lasted 4 whole days on one charge, thats including some calls each day. this one if i don't touch and don't use will probably last 1.5.
lots more hardware to power i guess.
spare batteries or even one of those extended battery cases perhaps on the cards for long trips.
pete

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Lots of great apps have already been mentioned, but here's a few extras which I like (all free versions), not bushcraft as such, but they do enhance use of the phone:

-GTasks - synchronize Google Tasks with the Phone - I use these as a todo list and notes to remember
-FlashLight - use the camera's flash as a torch - dimable
-3GWatchdog - (by Richard Gruet - there are a few similar apps) - Track your use of 3g data, optionally alert before you reach your quota.
-ScreenKeeper - allows you to keep an app visable, ie don't activate the screen saver if I'm running a particular app (like google maps)
-Heavens Above - Track satellites, especially Iridium Flares (You can also run this from your PC, from their web site).
-Android Task manager - you can see what's actually running on the phone, and kill off things you don't want.
-File Widget - this allows me to put a file (for example a PDF) directly onto the phone's home page. This means that I don't have to open a PDF viewer and then choose the file I want open, its just 1 "click" to open the file.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Has anyone got the google sky maps app? I got it a week ago and its brilliant if you are out on a clear night in the hills. not used it properly but it has the stars, planets, constellations, galaxies and other celestial objects plus the orientation (N, E, W and S compass points). It shows the horizon line and even the stars below the horizon so you can guess what might come into the sky in thee future. You can do a search for a particular object and a circle with an arrow appears. You move the phone around to find it in the sky. You can turn off particular celestial bodies too leaving it clear for the items you want to find. Also has a night mode which turns the multi coloured obects red. The phone display becomes red objects on a black background to preserve your night vision.

You can guess that I am totally impressed by this app. I mean I guess some of you will have read about natural navigation and some might even be able to navigate by stars!! This app gives people like me a powerful tool for astronomy and potentially allow for another tool in night nav too!! Even as a nice app to have its fun to play with. Reckon tomorrow night I'll be using it wherever I am camped.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Ive got google sky maps on recommendations from a mate. I must admit I was amazed, curious to find out how accurate it is as Ive only used it during the day and cloudy nights so far.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Found yet another nice compass app:

Smart Compass (Free) by Android Boy.

Yes its just another compass, but what I like is that it will activate the camera, so when you hold up the phone you see a cross hair on the screen and the "exact" compass bearing to that item (like a lensatic compass), but only to the nearest degree. Running the camera will consume more power ! Of course there are other compass apps which will do the same job, this just seems a nice, simple one.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Have you tried the time warp feature in Google Sky Maps, its quite fun.

Yes its good how you can speed it up and slow it down to see the progression of heavenly bodies through the night/days. I have mostly used it during the day to play with and show people but I got the chance to use it at the weekend when pitched up in a modifies A-frame/lean-to tarp setup in my sleeping bag. Spent some time identifying things without get out of my pit. All in night mode (red on black). Did see one bright object (usually means planets AFAIK) that was in the same direction as Saturn was on the google app but it was actually lower against the horizon than the app showed it. My question is does the horizon line equate to a fictional horizon at say sea level or is it the average true horizon based on location and would the hills have that much of an effect on the relative angle above the true horizon line of the hills?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Also Google sky maps uses sensors and even magnetic sensors? I use mine on a Galaxy S2 so am I correct in assuming the phone has an electronic compass built in and this can also detect magnetic influences that the app can use to more precisely locate the hand-held somehow? It all sounds really high tech and sophisticated to me but that could just be my ignorance of phones and astronomy, etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE