Green obsessed...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The Tuatha de Danu defeated the Firbolg Giants and lay claim to Ireland. Later came the cruel Milesians who in turn conquered the Danu. They forced the Danu to wear only green as a sign they were as low as the very grass. So the People of the Goddess Dianna turned it into a sign of pride and disappeared into the secret, unseen and unwanted places. If I remember my invasion cycle correctly, next came Saxons,Vikings, Normans, Cromwell and Japanese tourists. So, forme it's a family thing. When I go out to those secret,wild places and see a ethereal campfire on some ancient artificial hill I wear green. :D :D :D

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think wearing green is a remaining (rudimentary) part from our "cave man" period, when we where dressed in bearskins (not green ;) ). Maybe it's the same thing as with being scared of the dark (see a thread from last week or so).
In those (cave man) days we lived in an almost completely green world ... so our gens might got brainwashed in one way or the other ;) - and with us bushctrafters it could be worse than with other people ... because we want to be one with nature ... We trickered that green gen with being outide :rolleyes:
And green is just giving a better rhytm inside than bright orange ...

Just my 2 € cents :D

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I like wearing green but I do try to mix it up with a bit of brown and grey. I too hate to see colour polluters when I'm out.
Also you are limited in what's available. You seem to have the dayglo hiker palette or DPM or OG.
And I think most of the Armaniflage hunter camo patterns look awful.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
With regard to hunter camouflage, it's limited because a) you're paying for it and b) the clothes available in it might not be what you want, whereas loads of clothes are available in green. Plus to the average layman, who's to know the difference between DPM, hunter camouflage, Flecktarn, and all the other camo standards? At the end of the day, patterned camouflage is overt camouflage, if you follow me - it's obviously trying to hide. Whereas green blends but could just be your taste in clothes.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I think it's mainly because bushcrafters are more close to nature than other people in the woods. Hillwalkers, for example, they wear more bright and coloured clothes than bushcrafters do. Well that's my impression anyway. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm reading a book just now called "Midges in Scotland" by Dr.George Hendry, a biologist and science writer. He says that, "Clegs, mosquitos and midges do share one feature in common in their attraction to dark-coloured clothing, particularly when the wearer is sweating profusely." [Mercat Press, 2003 edt., p26]
Maybe we've been getting this blending in thing wrong people :eek: maybe pastel pinks, blues and lemons are the way to go ;)

Cheers,
Toddy (who's working on a new recipe of anti-midgie wipes, I may need guinea pigs (Ahem, volunteers) soon :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I agree, green is a natural colour on land, and we are all into natural things so we end up wearing green. When in arid countries 'stone' is the dominant colour so we wear that. Makes sense to me. Not too many years ago, I would only wear black. This was because everything goes with black, so you could wear anything with anything else in my wardrobe. And I thought it looked kinda cool, as you do.... but now everything is in natural shades and it goes well too. The trouble with cammo is that townie types do get the wrong idea (apart from last summer when it was oh so trendy.... you could walk into Selfridges and buy a designer cammo jacket for £150. I pointed out to my girlfriend that she should buy an M65, as this was just a designer copy of it, and she could get the real thing for £40, which would be far superior. No, she had to have the label....) but OG is kind of neutral in attitudes. I even wear it around town and nobody thinks a thing. Well, nobody thinks in town anyway....

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Someone once described the proliferation of primary colour walking gear as having the "Smarties" effect on our countryside. Earlier this month, whilst walking the Cumbria Way, we experienced this first hand. It is a popular part of the country and you are bound to meet people on the way. But the electric livery of some walkers meant that any possibility of entertaining the sense of being alone in the countryside was dispelled. Periodically glorious 5 mile vistas would unfurl before us only to be peppered with the M&M army visible at various distances and in most directions. :(

And with respect to safety; I always carry a foil space blanket and whistle. I'll wager that shiny carapace outperforms any brightly coloured clothing when it comes to the emergency SAR situation. All this means that I can step out in olive/khaki with minimum impact on other hikers scenery. :)

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Mmmm. Interesting this one.

I think there must be colours that we associate with different activities. Green was never a favorite colour of mine and I positively dislike brown ! I tended to avoid these in favour of blues and blacks for everyday casual wear but the more I've become interested in bushcraft and archery the more stuff I've bought in shades of green and even "naff" shades of beige :D it just seems less polluting, more low key and more appropriate.

On the other hand, I like to dabble in all sorts of other games like sailing and other watersports, climbing, kites and so on. I actually like the bright sun/sea/sand image that these have. They're loud, brash, energetic and exciting sports and so is the kit. No problem ! :D

Finally hillwalking and mountaineering - I reckon it's 90% fashion. I've been walking enough years to see greens come and go, dayglow come and go, multicolor come and go, pastels, muted this that and the other, yada yada.... Right now my shell jacket is brilliant yellow and black - it was bought for the brand, fabrics and features and there was no choice of color. There again when you're in a snowstorm or downpour on the fells, who'se bothered about trying to be subtle, your biggest problem is trying to spot which way your mates went in sub 50 yard visibility !

Good thread Kim ;)

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
For me, natural colours and tones are just simply pleasing. If you look in my cupboard you will find the full spectrum of natural earthy tones, granted there are a couple which stand out that would put poppy petals to shame, but by and large they are all muted and subtle colours. Now my reasons for this are two fold,a) I just prefer those sorts of colours and despite SWMBO`s attempts, they are what i feel comforable in because b) they reflect me generally. I`m muted and subtle (some might agure with my blunt sense of humour :) ) and I like to go un-noticed.

When I veture out into woodlands, I am usually in my `greens` as they get called (and since working in forestry and nearly always in woodland, there is little time i am not in them) because again, I like the colour as is blends in with the surroundings (in winter I tend to wear more browns as again, it feels right). I agree with several poeple`s sentiments of not wanting to stand out like a sore thumb. When i am out i prefer to be undisturbed and not to disturb others.

With regards camo, I personally am uncomfortable wearing it. Obviosuly there are military overtones, which despite the words coming out of your mouth about the differences between survival and bushcraft, it gives off a mixed signal of wanting to play the soldier. Also, there is just no need for it. I have poeple walk feet from me and not know i`m there just becuase of the muted colours, and even though i stalk, it is only very very rarely I use camo, again i use muted colours and the right sort of movement.

For those who want to skip that waffle : I like muted colours for being able to be un-noticed and my eye just prefers them :)

Definately a good thread :)

I have three main reasons for wearing muted greens and black as well. The first is for animal watching. While animals can't see in the same spectrum that we do, as as been mentioned before they do see differences in tone or brightness and also some of them have some peculiar visible spectrums up into ultraviolet and it's very interesting to put some modern fabrics under a uv light.

The second reason is that in general, most of my kit is bought on a budget and this means army surplus. I tend to steer away from too much camo, again for the reasons discussed above so that tends to leave the greens and black.

The third reason is definately the 'Smartie Effect' I like to blend in. If i can sit in the woods and have a dog walker for instance walk past and not even know I'm there, then that makes me happy. As others have said, the sight of loads of brightly coloured coats walking all over the moors, or through the woods just totally spoils any feeling of being out with nature to me.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I don't! Im not much of a tracker so i wear what is comfortable and practical. Blue gelert trousers usually. Either that or long shorts from H&M; light weight, belt loops, plain, and not too many features. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Motorbike Man said:
Definately a good thread :)
If i can sit in the woods and have a dog walker for instance walk past and not even know I'm there, then that makes me happy.

As an aside here MBM, I remember from my forces days (que swinging lamp, sandbag and the phrase "During the war!")
....the Ghurkas were stationed at Crookham barracks near Aldershot, and they took care of their own sentry duties around the camp. Local folk would walk their dogs around the outside of the perimeter and get spooked when their dogs would start snarling and barking aparently at nothing. Until a mandate was issued to the sentries to stand up and illuminate themselves with a torch if they deemed the threat to be minimal.

Sorry for the ramble

Ogri the trog

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I agree with a lot of you on this thread, I hate to see bright reds and yellows sticking out of a lush green hill or green woodland, and I'd hate to be that sore thumb to others (if you know what I mean).

I prefer to wear greens and browns as it blends with nature, not to hide amongst it and not be seen, but to feel less an alien in it.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Fallow Way said:
For me, natural colours and tones are just simply pleasing.
I'm with you there FallowWay. Most of my colour choices tend to be subtle natural tones too. Greens and browns definitely but other 'Natural' colours as well and ocasionally quite rich tones too. The problem I think is with chemical dyes. Plant based dyes are so much nicer. Plastic looking "Smarty Colours" feel like the complete antithesis of everything natural to me and are very offensive to the eye. Gawd, imagine what they must do to a synesthete! :eek:

There are some interesting aspects to this question, from a psychological perspective, methinks. Some alreay mentioned. Subtle greens are particularly understated colours. Are we generally understated people?

Green (at least in terms of tone) is a colour most Wildlife feels comfortable with, perhaps for one reason or another we subconsciously feel we want them to feel comfortable around us. I know I quite consciously do.

There's also a really nice quote by John Muir "Going to the woods is going home, for I suppose we came from the woods originally". In terms of evolution our species certainly did come from the woods. Perhaps it's also a way for us to feel as if we belong there again. Part of going home?

If our local wilderness was a desert I'm pretty sure we'd be wearing sandy shades.

As for camoflage stuff. I feel too silly wearing it for some reason, so generally I do try to avoid it. Never so silly as when I'm hiding under my camo netting with my camera :eek: :D Well worth the human embarrisment to get close to wildlife for me though.:)

Yeah, as others here have said, good post Kim.

P.S. Often wondered why someone doesn't design a reversable err... outdoors type Jacket. Green on the one side for general wear. Scarlet on the other if you want to be found in an emergency. Not yellow, a magnet for insects.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
FeralSheryl said:
There are some interesting aspects to this question, from a psychological perspective, methinks. Some alreay mentioned. Subtle greens are particularly understated colours. Are we generally understated people?
There's another dimension to that - fitting in. Most of us are just "normal people" most of the time - we have jobs in towns and cities, and bushcraft is more of a hobby than anything else. Certainly few of us rely on it for our sustenance and shelter. So when we go out for a bushcrafty evening or weekend, we want to "get into it", that is, transform ourselves and take it seriously. One way of satisfying the bushcraft drive is to dress how we think we would as a bushcrafter. Whether this image is following other people like sheep or simply feeling right, or both, I leave for you to decide.

FeralSheryl said:
P.S. Often wondered why someone doesn't design a reversable err... outdoors type Jacket. Green on the one side for general wear. Scarlet on the other if you want to be found in an emergency. Not yellow, a magnet for insects.
Nanok have their Reversible SF jacket - it's white and green. White is for snow camouflage (the SF stands for special forces y'see), but it would do a fairly good job of standing out in the UK. Or you could colour it how you wanted.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
george said:
subdued colours dont show dirt quite so much!

George
:) That's a good point.Also ,as someone has pointed out,green has a calming effect on the wearer.
As to the midge being attracted to green,try wearing a yellow shirt (blouse) when there are insects about,it acts like a magnet to the little sods.
Emergencies;a gold coloured space blanket packs up very small and can be seen over a good distance when deployed as a marker.

Just got back from a weeks camping(with SWMBO and dogs)and it was far too hot to wear any colour :p

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Personally I'm like Popeye (work that out for yourself, if you can't PM me :D ).
I always wear green when ever I can, like eveyone else I find it a lot easier on the eyes and I like to blend with my surroundings.
On the down side if you do get in to trouble when out in the woods if your all in green the people looking for you could just walk right by you. With this in mind I now always have one of the bright orange survival bags in my rucksack, as the very wise man said "Better red than dead". He said it more than once so he must think it very important.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
subdued colours doesn't seem to "scream" so much as bright colours. I like to blend in the woods. Also much easilier to get cheaply, because of all the army surplus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE