Classic BadgerRaiding Sign.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Found this wasps nest that had been raided by a badger last night. Amazing to see how deep it went into the ground and half of it was still intact and buried with a huge amount of activity. They didn't take kindly to me mesmorised by their activity and nest destruction. Got really annoyed when I poked my camera in, so only gt a few shots and a stung ear for my troubles. Hate to think what the badger got for his.

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

Last edited:

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Nice pics, very interesting behaviour, I wouldn't have thought that badgers would be interested in wasps.

Thanks for sharing...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Nice pics, very interesting behaviour, I wouldn't have thought that badgers would be interested in wasps.

Thanks for sharing...

After the grubs. It's hilarious to see them do it. When they get too overwhelmed by the wasps, they run off and cover their heads with their front feet, just like a comedy cartoon.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i spotted some very similar sign to this yesterday whilst walking the hound, he got his nose stung, i lost my balance and slipped down a grassy bank into a lovely patch of marsh due to laughing at his reaction to being stung. most entertaining! i could just imagine brock sitting in his sett listening to us making our racket and thinking "what a pair of pillocks, dominant species my ****, can't even hunt a wasp without making a complete tit of himself"

stuart

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
i spotted some very similar sign to this yesterday whilst walking the hound, he got his nose stung, i lost my balance and slipped down a grassy bank into a lovely patch of marsh due to laughing at his reaction to being stung. most entertaining! i could just imagine brock sitting in his sett listening to us making our racket and thinking "what a pair of pillocks, dominant species my ****, can't even hunt a wasp without making a complete tit of himself"

stuart

Brilliant. My exiting of the area was equally as embarrassing. Good job no-one was watching.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
that makes no sense, a paper nest underground....? i thought they were only in trees (and lofts/garages lol) where its dry enough for them to stay solid?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
that makes no sense, a paper nest underground....? i thought they were only in trees (and lofts/garages lol) where its dry enough for them to stay solid?

Nope, along with hornets, it is quite common to have them underground. Whatever saliva they mix the wood paste with, makes them extremely water resistant. The exposed ones in trees get dashed with heavy rain and it just bounces off. It's the excavating that intrigues me. They fly the excess earth out, bit by bit. Incredible creatures. Pity they are so misunderstood. Well, except the bugger that got my ear. I'll be looking for that swine later.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Good stuff.
They're too thick-skinned and bloody minded to pass up a protein packed meal of grubs like that.
Now slap dem dere pics up on the badger sign thread as they're a lot clearer than the fuzzy snap I put up. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75168

You'll also notice that it's right next to a pond too. The amount of times I've laid my fishing tackle on top of a nest entrance at the waters edge is unreal.

Last edited:

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Until now I've never come across anyone who could put up a defence for wasps. I thought they were universally loathed. Full bifters to you for getting that close.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I was lucky enough to find a wasp nest that had been recently raided to :)
which is even better because I didn't think there were any Badgers around here.

DSCF0017-2.jpg

Cheers Russ

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Must be a common thing for Badgers, one day last week I found one Wasp and one Bees nest raided in under a mile..Bees
..Wasp
I’d love to watch that exit strategy .

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE