Leatherman Factory tour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Work used to see me in Portland a lot until recently, Gerber, Leatherman, Benchmade, Kershaw, CRKT, William Henry, EdgePro etc are all based there (or thereabouts) Did take my gerber 800 to the factory when it broke and had a chat with the quality guy there (was a casting problem) gave me a spanking new one on the spot. You couldn't get a tour without prior arrangement and only allowed in certain areas for safety, (reception area was well worth a browse though!!) If I ever get back Benchmade is on the list as is William Henry! Should arrange a trip and get some of the BritishBlades guys in on it, cheap flights from Holland and some great beers in the area!

Cheers,
Alan

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
i enjoyed that, i like my Leatherman. What a soul destroying place to work though!!

Just what I thought, which job do you think you would like out of the ones we saw? Maybe the one at 2.50 where he sits popping stuff into slots continually with a dust mask on for good measure? Maybe the lass at 4.05 she looked to be enjoying life.

A quote from eminent sociologist Richard Sennett seems appropriate

"The long lines of labour's dealings with machinery are clearest in America and Britain, who's governments early on encouraged mechanical experiment for industrial development. In both countries the creation of machinery for large scale production gradually threatened the standing of the most skilled labourers and increased the number of semi-skilled or unskilled workers, the machinery tending to replace high-cost skilled labour rather than aiming..to eliminate unskilled, noisome tasks."

I am all up for tight quality control and good engineering but I like to see people doing jobs that use more of their faculties as human beings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE