Pattern 58 bottles - differences?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
This made me think of the Swiss army bottles that come complete with an aluminium cup on the bottom, they are tall and thin because they are designed to fit in a cargo pocket, but they have always made me think that they look like a mini 58 bottle with a crusader mug (in my minds eye my Swiss bottles will be my grand daughters first nesting set!)

KGrHqYOKkE1wUEnE79BNgM604lk_12.jpg
[/IMG]

I wanted to update the issue with the Web-tex bottle I received from Ronnie Sunshine's eBay store. He replied quickly and maintained that he had shipped the correct bottle, noting that he has another ad for the genuine Osprey bottle (true, I just didn't see that one at the time). However, he offered to refund my postage costs if I kept the bottle, and also immediately updated the ad for the Web-tex bottle to make it clear it's a copy. So all in all I think he handled the situation honestly and fairly.

Sabot

Tenderfoot
One thing I've learned is always make sure ads specifically say "Osprey" before ordering. The same can be said for any surplus gear labelled "NATO" or "style". It's an over used ploy to convince you that it's the genuine article. Also I believe the BCB bottles are Ospreys, though I could be wrong. The one that came with my BCB crusader kit was though I think it was a set put together by the retailer.

On the subject of how good they are, I have one that is over 20 years old, well used and still going strong. Pity I can't say the same about the cup that came with it. Copies I find, apart from being smaller, always stink of chemicals which totally puts me off using them.

Last edited:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I have both a BCB and a ex-issue 58 bottle. They both are 'Ospreys' and they are both identical and hold the same amount (2pints! NOT 1L. 2 pints is just that little bit more than a litre!). You're quite safe with a BCB 58 bottle.

The Webtex ones are, indeed, the ones to avoid. I have one of those as well. Not that there's anything wrong with them (at least I haven't had any leaks with it), but because they are smaller (1 litre!) than the BCB/issue ones (at 2 pints!). God only knows why they made them smaller.

just a note i have a genuine issue bottle ( was issued it ) its not marked with Osprey but the letters PP in a sun mark
but is 1985 issue (my Mess tin is 1947 )

I did replace the top with the newer S10 drinking adaptor top (not that i need it now )

cant see clearly in any pictures of a Web Tex but does it have the NATO stock number on it mine like your osprey is 973-6665

i also remember some made in green

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I wanted to update the issue with the Web-tex bottle I received from Ronnie Sunshine's eBay store. He replied quickly and maintained that he had shipped the correct bottle, noting that he has another ad for the genuine Osprey bottle (true, I just didn't see that one at the time). However, he offered to refund my postage costs if I kept the bottle, and also immediately updated the ad for the Web-tex bottle to make it clear it's a copy. So all in all I think he handled the situation honestly and fairly.

I'm pleased you've got a satisfactory result.....I've checked the Ad, & well, I'm not totally convinced. He's cleverly worded it & there's still no mention of Web-Tex.....I think a few more people are still going to be conned.

Al Fresco

May 8, 2012
Bristol
Had to revive this old thread... Wish I'd seen this earlier!
I've just received my order from Ronnie Sunshines on Ebay, 'Original NATO BCB Osprey 58 Patern Army Black Water Bottle & Cup' - £14.95.. Thought I was buying the proper one.. Even with it in my hand, I'm still confused!! It looks & feels cheap....
I wasn't expecting it to be made of plastic, especially the cup... Have I got a web tex one, or is it genuine as was advertised?

Was expecting to be able to boil water in the cup but it is clearly marked, 'keep away from heat or flame'.... is it the 'mug' not the 'cup' version that you can boil water in?
01.jpg

02-1.jpg

03.jpg

Had to revive this old thread... Wish I'd seen this earlier!
I've just received my order from Ronnie Sunshines on Ebay, 'Original NATO BCB Osprey 58 Patern Army Black Water Bottle & Cup' - £14.95.. Thought I was buying the proper one.. Even with it in my hand, I'm still confused!! It looks & feels cheap....
I wasn't expecting it to be made of plastic, especially the cup... Have I got a web tex one, or is it genuine as was advertised?

Was expecting to be able to boil water in the cup but it is clearly marked, 'keep away from heat or flame'.... is it the 'mug' not the 'cup' version that you can boil water in?

Looks Fine

the Crusader Cup is an add/extra after market job on that fits the bottle the bottle has always come with a plastic cup

ATB

Duncan

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Someone mentioned the green bottles.They are rather rare.Ive heard rumours that there is a green cup?Anyone seen one?They date from when patt58 was introduced.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Ahhh, the green 58 bottle and mug, I think they were only issued to the oft promised and never seen busload of nurses...

Liam

Reactions: Bert

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE