throw away your mower and get a scythe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
They are clearly the way forward, environmentally friendly, carbon neutral, longer grass benefits the bugs and beasties and you may even see a wildflower of two. What surprised me when I first tried it recently is how easy it is and how short and neat you can mow a lawn if you want to. And if your lawn like mine is less than the size of a tennis court you can mow it with the scythe in less time than it takes to get the mower out.

Gorgeous hand forged Austrian scythe.
IMG_7392.jpg

My friends Steve and Christiane who are on their way to teach at the west country scythe festival next weekend.
IMG_7383.jpg

my lawn, 5 minutes to mow.
IMG_7393.jpg

bit more info and useful links here

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What kind fo money would we be looking at for a scythe? (maybe not as posh as that but functional) I have no problems putting an edge on so second hand if there was such a thing?
Thanks.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
My 75 year old grandmother was recently doing it for her 30 something neighbours; they'd got a scythe and couldn't work it out so she took over.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I use a push mower at the mo, but have neglected the lawn for a bit.
There is a very old scythe handle in the workshop though.. might pop a head on it to save the strimmer :rolleyes:

rmbriar

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2011
Bangor
My family used to have a goat, which cut the grass and head butted my hardly amused gran, brilliant!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a scythe that I got when we had an allotment, its no longer much use if anyone has anything they want to swap for it. Maybe some decent sized leather discs so I can repair my stacked leather grip on my old Estwing? Bit of horn or antler might do the trick instead.
I can take pictures if anyone's interested.
They will have to pick it up from sunny Carlisle or meet me somewhere cos I'm buggered if I'm going to post it though.

There's also this downloadable Scythe book for anyone who's interested.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I use a pair of guinea pigs to cut my grass, closer cut than a scythe and you could eat them in a survival situation:lmao:

I use these for those extra long bits ;)

GP1.jpg

I've used scythes when working before but not to cut a lawn.. is it hard? and what sort of lengths can you get the grass?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE