Army

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

muchless

Banned
May 14, 2011
s wales
Hello everyone, i am 15 years old and i am interested in joining the army when i am 16. i love the outdoors and also shoot with a air rifle sometimes but only targets
I have looked on the army website but have not found direct answers so i am looking for some help
How old do you have to be to join?
What is it like in training?
any advice?

I am not very fit as my knees hurt when i run but i know i can train my legs to solve the problem and i am a very poor swimmer. will this stop me or will i be able to join?

I have took the literacy and numeracy tests on the mod website and i passed them both so i am worried about the physical side of it

advice would be great, thanks!!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
they will train you up good and proper matey! no worries there. I think it's 16 when you can start the training and the training takes 6 months minimum?

do as much research as you can though, get the leaflets and speak to them on the phone.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
And start doing press-ups, and sit-ups and get some start running ......you will have to be able to pass the entrance tests aswell.
When i joined it was 3 pull-ups (thats all the up and down 3 times), 7 inclined sit-ups. And a mile in 7.5 mins.
So get started now and make it easy on yourself.
Good luck !!!!!

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
I joined the Territorial Army before going into the regular Army, going into the TA will give you a good insight to what to expect and will also help you get physically fit for the job!
Good Luck!

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
You 'have took' the literacy test and passed? Crikey, doesn't say much for the army's requirements.

Not sure thats really the advice and support the young lad was after :rolleyes:

Muchless. Good for you for coming on here to ask questions about such an important life decision. I echo some of the advice already given. Get as much information as you can and getting your fitness levels up now will help a lot.

Could you work something out with your P.E teacher at school? and think about joining the local cadet force.

Good luck.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Muchless,

All the best with the training mate. There are a lot of ex- (and current) forces on here, so maybe a few more chip in with advice.

You 'have took' the literacy test and passed? Crikey, doesn't say much for the army's requirements.

:lmao:

Nope, even I passed the tests (91% on the literacy and 89% on the numeracy - didn't use a calculator or pen and paper; made 2 stupid mistakes as I didn't read the instructions properly)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...advice would be great, thanks!!..."

I would wait a few years before taking the plunge, there is lot going on in your head between the ages of fifteen and eighteen, try and experience a bit more of what life has to throw at you first.

If you are dead set on joining up, fight to get into a branch that will teach you a trade, the Engineers, REME or even RAMC. There is a life after the army (for most) and you should take advantage of a free education while you are in there.

Hope this helps.

:)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Not sure thats really the advice and support the young lad was after :rolleyes:

Muchless. Good for you for coming on here to ask questions about such an important life decision. I echo some of the advice already given. Get as much information as you can and getting your fitness levels up now will help a lot.

Could you work something out with your P.E teacher at school? and think about joining the local cadet force.

Good luck.

Well said.

Muchless, my son joins up on the 13th of june, though he is a bit older than you. Please feel free to pm me with any questions you may have & i'll pass them on to him.

Regards, Rob

muchless

Banned
May 14, 2011
s wales
Well i had A's in both my English and math GCSE so i can't be doing that bad :)

Thank you for all the advise and i do want to join but i'm worried it may not be for me as i would hate to be turned away

Thanks for the advice :D

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Well done on your school results and i just echo what other people on here have said. I'm in a very similar position to yourself but haven't took the leap yet, but after loosing my job last week i think i may join soon.
Good luck with whatever decision you make and all the best, Ben :D

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hello chap, welcome to the Forum, the only place you will find the answer to any of your question is at the AFCO, they have the up to date and correct info, now for a warning, although you have the interest and the enthusiasm, you have to understand that it is you that's wants them they do not necessarily want you, the Army is over manned across the board, this does not mean you wont get what you want , but you have to make yourself a shining example of what they want, the old times of dads and coppers marching young boys down to the careers office for them to "make him a man" are gone, get on the royal marine web site and look at the fitness programme, it's the better of the training programmes and doesn't need any kind of gym membership, you fit it around your life, your young and still growing so expect pains in your muscles,joints and bones if you haven't trained before, though I would say get your knees looked at by a doc if your worried,( at least they can say your fine and nothing to worry about) the biggest failing during training is from chaps missing there family, nothing wrong with that at all, but it can be a problem if you don't deal with it, phone your family at least every couple of days, talk to your mates with you, and talk to the training staff. get out and join some kind of sport club/ team, they will look for team skills and sporting ability.

But again the biggest thing is to go and talk to the staff at the AFCO, be aware that they will be very pro joining and will steer you towards the current trade/regiment that is recruiting, get all the free pamphlets you can and read them all, ask if you can go and visit a few bases and training establishments, most hold taster weekends where you can go, stay the night and play with some kit and try out some of the lessons.

aside from your chosen job once your in and through training, there are so many adventures to be had, get your hand up for any task when volunteers are asked for, the crap jobs always lead to good times. and don't believe the "there's no money to do anything any more" it isn't true, there are plenty of adventurous training opportunities you just have to put your self out there and look, even take it upon your self to organise it yourself.

most of all have fun, it is a fantastic lifestyle, you may loose friends, you may get very badly injured or even killed, you may have kill another person. you have to be aware of these facts if you are going to take this path.

If I can help in any way with advice or anything please feel free to ask, I can only say no!:)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If you are dead set on joining up, fight to get into a branch that will teach you a trade, the Engineers, REME or even RAMC. There is a life after the army (for most) and you should take advantage of a free education while you are in there.

Hope this helps.

:)

What he said , aim for a Trade. Don't worry you can still do all the 'green' bit and take that as far as you want if thats your thing , but get your mindset on getting a useable trade when you get out as well. I know 5/7-22 years sounds like a massive eternity of a lifetime away but it does soon pass so aim to get onto the rIght track to start with.

Also just don't consider the Army ( thats all you've mentioned so far ) there's nothing wrong with the Army , but have a look at the other services to get a broader / bigger picture.

I'd like to know why your knee's hurt when you run?? Your not running in Boots are You? Which is a big no-no for build-up pre-training. Go and see your doctor and get checked out now ,better safe than sorry to sort it now rather than fail a medical later on.

I would suggest you don't rush in as a Boy Soldier but give it 2-3 years get some life experience, either get a job/apprenticeship or do some more studying and work on your fitness. If your dead set on it get your fitness up and approach your local TA Unit.

Hope this helps.

TD

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Well i had A's in both my English and math GCSE so i can't be doing that bad :)

Thank you for all the advise and i do want to join but i'm worried it may not be for me as i would hate to be turned away

Thanks for the advice :D

From your GCSE results I would consider staying on in education to get your A'levels and look at going for a commission or looking at trades that you can join direct as a Sgt. This may mean a few more years in education but you will be able to join with a higher wage and arguably a better standard of life. All three services offer sponsorship schemes where you complete your education as a cadet officer so ask the careers people about Welbeck College and then being sponsored through university.
You maybe keen 'just to join up and face the world' (I was) but this route will make the most of your attributes. The forces offer a good career but you don't want to find yourself in a job that is not what you expected, really think about what you want to do and find out as much as you can about it.
I echo the other comments about getting a trade you can use in civilian life. I think i would visit all three AFCO's to see whats on offer and don't just limit yourself to the Army. Good luck!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think you should go to college with your results. (I would kill for GCSES like that)

My college do a thing called a Public Services Course which is aimed at would be police/millitary.

they do lots of outdoor stuff.

Im stuck with Physics and Chemistry.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sorry Tengu, but the uniformed services course is worthless, it does absolutely nothing to promote you in the eyes of a recruiter.

Based upon what experience Southey?? Or have you done a stint as a recruiter?
Genuine question.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Wifey was a recruiter for four years at the Plymouth ACIO for the Raf, tri service office, you remember the old trident scheme, there is a big push to bring that back as it worked, To give people a real sense of how they would be treated during training and the wider army, any one coming in having done the tri services course would get no more advantage than a school leaver who went to an after school club. your better off doing a mainstream course to bolster you academic profile, the course is to generalised to give you any specific qauls.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE