Eating Snails: Yummy-ness at negligible cost

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
It is illegal to kill "Roman" snails in the UK.

Recent evidence suggests they are native, rather than being brought here by the Romans. If you are lucky enough to live in a part of the UK where they can be found then they should be admired for their beauty, not eaten. There were loads where I grew up on the ridge of the north downs in Surrey, but I've never seen one anywhere else in the UK.

While yes they are illegal to harvest - I've never seen any big enough to be worth bothering with here.
I'm wondering about the legality of 'capturing' a few and breeding from them? then obviously releasing them.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
good source of protien them bugs!

the people (apocalyptic suvival wannabes) who sock up heavily on bottles of water and tinned food don't seem to think of fresh sources of carbs or protien.. a simple snail/woodlice farm and spuds in the garden would help anyones chances right?

would a homemade well work? how deep would it need to be?;)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Some people give the snails herbs such as Tyme & rosemary during the purging process & flour, instead of bread......also they are sometimes boiled in a sort of broth, by adding carrots, onions, leeks, bay leaves & lots of pepper to the water ( much like whelks) which gives them a flavour of their own. ( for those who don't like garlic or butter)

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Cool thread. I've been doing this for years - ever since copying my ex-girlfriend's mum's technique (they're Greek) not dissimilar to Suburbanbushwhacker's method, but without the luxury of white bread. I have patches of agapanthus in the garden that provide a snail fest during wet periods.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Samon

You needed more changes of water when I said 5 to 10 changes I ment it :)

haha, can't agree more with the changing of the water. when I first boiled one up it just went into hot water and in my gob..but I didn't know how to de-gross them then and that's why it was nasty. :)

I don't like my mushrooms soggy either, so I fry them untill they dry a bit and that adds a more intense flavour and if I were to eat snails more often I'd do the same (after the boiling and changes of water).

I do have a weak stomache though and at times find some things hard to eat so for me getting rid of soggy, sticky and gooey textures helps alot.

Balanophage

Apr 11, 2011
UK
www.bushcraft-magazine.co.uk
Isn't there a bit of the snail you're not supposed to eat? I thought there was a bit that was supposed to be 'poisonous', although I'm not sure where I've got that idea from... perhaps this is the "brown gooey bit" referred to in the other thread...?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Isn't there a bit of the snail you're not supposed to eat? I thought there was a bit that was supposed to be 'poisonous', although I'm not sure where I've got that idea from... perhaps this is the "brown gooey bit" referred to in the other thread...?

Urban myth akin to a crabs 'dead mans fingers'.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
How would you go about purging a winkle? I dont know what they eat.
Great idea with the sanil purge! I have been meaning to try it aswell. Had previously heard of feeding them carrot untill it was all just orange, but i suppose white bread is easier to pick up any kind of taint.
Ive only had snails in restaurants, they look horrendous, but taste devine.
Cheers for sharing.

I've never bothered purging winkles. Pick 'em, boil 'em in seawater, eat 'em with a pin - taste good!

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I've never bothered purging winkles. Pick 'em, boil 'em in seawater, eat 'em with a pin - taste good!

My sentiments too, my dad would go into town (5 minute walk :)) for a bevvy with his mates each Saturday and bring back duck eggs and, as we called them, Kewins, he'd bring loads back, I'd wolf most of them. Don't fancy my garden snails tho'.

Those were the days.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

I remember that so well, me and my brother would eat loads of winkles with a toothpick or pin. they are a bit gritty if I remember though and even had super hard slime covers keeping them inside their shell..like plastic lids.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
dead mans fingers are the gills of the crabs, so mnay people have incorectly said they are poisonous to eat. they look gross (like most inards of shellfish) but are infact edible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE