Breitling Or Rolex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
My Dad has a Rolex and it never tells the perfect time.I thought that was the point of watch, to tell the time. I would personally sacrifice the looks to have an accurate timepiece. I do love how they look though. :)

It's a traditional clockwork movement and 99.9% accurate. A Ferrari or Aston Martin isn't exactly fuel efficient, but it gets you from A to B in style.

put this on another thread omega rubbish mine is still in shop being serviced fifth time since it was first serviced never been right since i wont let them have my rolex incase they ruin that to by the way omega are owned by swatch nuff said regards dave

Omega are owned by the Swatch Group, not the Swatch brand. It's a name they chose after deciding to change it from SMH, and has no real connection other than an umbrella company that owned both those and other watch and jewellery brands including Longines, Tissot, Hamilton and Breguet. The Rolex service centre is a state of the art facility with the top watchmakers in the world working for them. Your watch will come back better than you sent it. Guaranteed. The Omega service centre is good, but not the same as Rolex yet. But it will get there.

When going to a jewellers and asking for a servce on your watch, you must stipulate that you want it going back to Rolex or Omega's own service centres, if not, they will use their own in house watch makers and not tell you. The difference in quality is massive. Omega and Rolex will give you a branded service warranty.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
I don't currently wear a watch but I'll be looking at an Omega WW2 pilots watch for my 'wedding ring' in a couple of years, in my eyes they are stunning in a really understated way.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have a Rolex Explorer 2 which is great. I have taken off the link strap and have a NATO-style fabric one on it instead.

I reckon that, unless you are a pilot, Breitling are lovely but have very complicated faces. If you're after something clean looking, IWC make a very handsome pilot's watch, the Mark XVI (I think...). If you're after accuracy, it's hard to beat Omega's co-axial automatic movement. From the States, Kobold offer some pretty rugged, if over chunky, timepieces which are always worth a look. The after sales service from them is exceptional.

Don't be worried about knocks and possible scratches: these watches are designed and made to take far worse than most folk are likely to chuck at them!

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
If I was to spend a lot on a watch it had better be damn accurate*, if its not going to be properly accurate than I'll buy and old soviet era watch cos at least some of them look cool.

*None of this gain or lose 30 seconds per day tosh either.

I dunno - it's really, really hard to make a mechanical timepiece 'accurate' (depending on what you mean by accurate), and it's probably not possible to make a mechanical watch with the accuracy of quartz. So to get accurate, you have to sacrifice the amazing engineering that goes into clockwork, and go digital / radio / quartz / whatever.

Personally, I like the charm of proper clockwork, and I'm never more than a few feet away from an accurate clock anyway (unless I'm in the woods, when I don't really care about the time!).

E

ED-E

If you have the money, want a Ferrari to drive from A to B in style, well yes, obviously.
That's a matter of opinion. In my opinion fuel efficiency is far more important than "stylish" status symbols. I thought that would be common sense.. here, more than elsewhere.
So to get accurate, you have to sacrifice the amazing engineering that goes into clockwork, and go digital / radio / quartz / whatever.
A watch is a watch is a watch. If it's not accurate I can clearly sacrifice romantic nonsense. :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's a matter of opinion. In my opinion fuel efficiency is far more important than "stylish" status symbols. I thought that would be common sense.. here, more than elsewhere.

A watch is a watch is a watch. If it's not accurate I can clearly sacrifice romantic nonsense. :)

You obviously failed to read any of my post where I used the words 'afford' and 'want'.

All watches are different and mean different things to different people. Same as cars, beds, TVs, toasters and houses. All are different to your requirements and to mine. Inverted snobbery can be as bad as the standard version. Understanding is key.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I dunno - it's really, really hard to make a mechanical timepiece 'accurate' (depending on what you mean by accurate), and it's probably not possible to make a mechanical watch with the accuracy of quartz. So to get accurate, you have to sacrifice the amazing engineering that goes into clockwork, and go digital / radio / quartz / whatever.

Personally, I like the charm of proper clockwork, and I'm never more than a few feet away from an accurate clock anyway (unless I'm in the woods, when I don't really care about the time!).

I also like proper clockwork, even bought THIS fascinating book on watch repair so I could understand it better, just that I'm not into the Bling names of the proper clockwork.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
to answer jonathan d, i didnt know i would have to stipulate where it went but i have had a result after six times in for repair last week they gave me a brand new omega gmt seamaster professional as a replacement with a written apology "result" regards dave

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Tag Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 300 Meter Automatic for me, with the plain face rather than the dark one. I have a real thing for mechanical watches, I've also got a full hunter Elgin pocket watch in gold plate which is 118 years old and a glass fronted open face Waltham which is 70-80 years old. Both fully mechanical working movements and an absolute joy to own. When I'm a little older I fancy the grey faced Rolex Yachmaster, and some of the IWC models aren't bad either.....I have a thing for understated automatics :D

I'm sure John D will be able to correct me on this but my father used to do a lot of work in Switzerland, the chaps over there always used to say that the watches with the best movements were Rolex, IWC, Patek and Cartier. Most of the other companies had movements made by AWS (I think?) so Tag, longines etc are all quite similar on the inside, just different outers!

EDIT: I should note I wear my Tag for everything except when I'm in the field or doing sports...For Sports I wear a Timex Marathon which I bought from Amazon for the humble price of £22 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timex-Marat...C9SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306193889&sr=8-1 and because I preferred it to the standard casio :D

Last edited:

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Out of the two, Rolex, as others have said the Breitlings are a bit too bling for my liking, a few horologists that I have known were not that keen on them either.
If I had some cash to spend I'd probably go for an IWC, but I haven't and I am very, very happy with my Panerai Daylight. I've worn it everyday since purchase, sure it's got some light scratches but that's only to be expected due to my lifestyle. Amazingly the corundum sapphire crystal hasn't got a single mark on it, tough stuff.
For me it was a once in a lifetime purchase and something to pass on to my son, I like the vintage military heritage style and it's easy to read, occasionally I have thought about selling it, but to be honest, only to get a different style Panerai!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE