Thought provoking photo gallery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
He can buy a new set of Proust books once he's safe. Okay they won't be first editions but if he values Proust's teachings so highly then that should be largely irrelevant. He could store them on his iPhone and read them after he's used it to call the emergency services. ;)

Okay I'm being a bit mean but you can't eat this stuff or use it to keep warm and dry.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Me?

Kids first, then car. Car contains our BOB's, transport, shelter, food, power, heat...
Next my backup drive and then a laptop.

That reminds me. I need to update my documents on the backup drive.

I take pics of my paperwork and store the images on the drive.

My desperately important docs are on flash drives in my kit.

Some time back, I read a link on here to a victim of some american disaster. made me prepare.

He talked of a 1 minute bob, a 10 minute bob and a day preparation for a bug out.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The interesting thing here to me is the similarities, folk are often choosing things they value rather than need.
One of the most telling series of photos I ever saw showed families from around the world in front of their homes with all their possessions spread out before them, now that showed the differences. I think it may have been National Geographic, wish I could find it online.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Thanks, noidea - I'm going to look more into the document thing. You can fit an awful lot of data on modern USB sticks

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Hi Ronnie

I wish I could find that link. It was a really worthwhile read.

As I read it, I sort of felt I was on the edge of a disaster that I could avoid if I had thought about it and prepared.

I think it was the disaster that made Bush send in the troops to stop looting.

This bloke, with wife and kids had to abandon thier home. They were told to go to the local stadium. The local militia were trying to maintain control but were as scared as everyine else. They used violence to control.

They had nothing.

He was laughing at the idea that he needed a sleeping bag and a tent and a days worth of food.

He says he was extremely lucky in that his wife had family a hundred miles or so away who put him and his family up.

Without that...

He then found a peach of a job that would have really helped sort out their woes. However, he didnt have his papers. No p45 type stuff, no references, no testimonials - all the places he had worked had just vanished or been destroyed (just watched the same thing happen to all those who actually survived in Japan). He even lost his drivers licence and passport. No docs at all. No numbers to get duplicates. Nothing on computer outside the state he was in and everything there unavailable.

Cashpoints stopped working as the banks computers died. I read between the lines thats where the looting came from.

I sort of looked at a bug out bag as a means of surviving for 24/48 hours before we return home and everythings honky dory.

After reading his report, I came to the conclusion, it must also house all the essentials needed for a complete restart somewhere else.

With his eagle eyed hindsight he made several lists according to how much time he had.

Im not sure if I remember it completely right, but something like...

Kids, Wife,
Dog
Bag - always within reach 24/7 with dongle (seriously password protected) with copies of passport licences testimonials, birth certificates marriage cert, household ins, car ins, car docs, list of contacts and ways to contact them, cash then run wih the car that always has 3/4tank minimum of fuel, serviced, with necessary bug out kit inc shovel.

If more time...
Filing cabinet with his other docs, irreplaceable photos, art, clothes, then other stuff. Cant remember order or what else he would save.

Wish I could find that link again. Would like to re read it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE