I don't understand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
but most importantly I have no children. The buck stops here.

but you have dog(s), which, if the Australian research is to believed, each one is the equivalent to running a SUV (doing 6000 miles per year. )

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
but you have dog(s), which, if the Australian research is to believed, each one is the equivalent to running a SUV (doing 6000 miles per year. )

Granted that the dogs are surplus to the planet's requirements. And apparently to their original owners', the dogs are from the local rescue. I can't speak for them before they came into my care, but they will have no more offspring now. Agreed it would have made more sense to let them be destroyed, but (a) I'm a big softie really and (b) I'd have been murdered by the wife...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dogs are an animal perfectly evoled to parisitise on humans, and i suspect even with that, they will outlive us

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Yes, all very funny. Very witty. Very true.
But.
There is a bit of snootiness to this thread - all those silly people with their silly trivial lives.

Face it, the vast majority live silly trivial lives, dominated by money, power and superficialness and who are generally uninterested in caring for one another or their surroundings, no matter how they are called and/or labelled.

Some of us may (very well) disdain 'celebrity culture'. But we still have our celebrities who we adore - Ray, Mors, Lars, Lofty...even...Bear?

No, I do not. I really liked what mr. Mears did originally, befor the whole BC-madness erupted. So do I with mr. Kochanski and many others in the past. Why? because they have something to say that makes sense, matters to me and makes me think about mine and our ways.
The rest is just a bunch of commercial tv-clowns to me....

So, some of you don't care what the celebrities in those magazines are wearing and doing. Well...Ray is wearing a very good Swandri, have you seen the style of knife that Mors uses..?

No, I have not and I don't care....

You think all the 'normal' people couldn't survive in your chosen environment? Seems to me like some of you couldn't live in theirs. Ah, but you probably don't care for their world and their lives. But I dare say they feel the same about yours.

Correction.... I do not WANT to live in their enviroment and I sure as hell hope they would perrish in mine, unless they were willing to be part of the bigger picture and do what is right, without someone telling them what to do, eat, like, wear, watch etc.

There's no difference between you and them, no matter how hard you try to con yourself otherwise.

Yes, there is, but there will always be some Johnny-be-good popping up trying to tell me otherwise. The exact reason why is not known to me, but I have a suspicion that it is, so he can tell us how bad we are and he's not...... or maybe it's just because said Johnny dislikes people who stand out of a crowd...

I take a good, hard look at my and my family's life and I see what I think is wrong and should be corrected, but unfortunately I am not able to change all of that.... yet! Why? Because, like everybody else I too am a slave of this moneycontrolled society. In this aspect you are right, but I am fighting it and I will break free from it.
No, I am not alienated from the modern world around me, but I choose to be as less part of it as possible.

Does this all make me arrogant? Don't know, don't care.....
Does this make me intolerant? Don't know, don't care......
Does this make me antisocial? Don't know, don't care.......
Did I offend anyone? Don't know, don't care. But, maybe, just maybe someone, somewhere starts thinking about it for themselves....

This is the way I feel and what I, at this moment, think is the closest I can get to the truth.

Do you want to educate me or tell me otherwise?
I'm all ears, but don't bring me any of that "you're like everybody else"-nonsense, because I KNOW that that is NOT true.....

But what threads like this do to me, is show that there are still people out there who at least think a little like me and that makes me feel like there is still hope for this egotistical, money- and powercontroled, non-brain-or-common-sense-using society, to which, in my personal belief, at least 75% of the modern man belongs....
It is people like us, who ARE different, because we think outside the box and it is people like us who DO see things differently, that we should try to make others understand that there's more in this world than celebrityrolemodels, filled up bankaccounts and a superficial social status........

Sorry.....
I got a bit carried away.....
but sometimes my blood starts boiling a bit......

Rant over.....for now....

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
It is people like us, who ARE different...

Yes, that's rather the point that I was making and you seemed to miss - you are not an individual you are part of an 'us'. A group. Not an individual.
You seemed to miss that point. But do you see it now - you're just like 'them' - you share a group of common ideals and goals with another group of people (us who use BCUK) - hence not an individual. And, like 'them', you think your way is the right way and the best way. Just like 'them'.
Clear now?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
WOW! That must have taken a fair while to compose. I really enjoy listening to Radio 4 in the car, it is my favourite radio station without seriously dumbed down news.

Mine too but dont tell anyone or they will think your old before your time ;) Iplayer is stunning if you look hard enough as is bbc extra. Cant remember the las time i watched "live" TV As for all the soaps and stuff, it keeps the missus entertained whilst i worry wood in the garage and no that is not a euphemism. :)

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Mine too but dont tell anyone or they will think your old before your time ;) Iplayer is stunning if you look hard enough as is bbc extra. Cant remember the las time i watched "live" TV As for all the soaps and stuff, it keeps the missus entertained whilst i worry wood in the garage and no that is not a euphemism. :)

Indeed, I have seriously stopped watching TV lately. Iplayer is great for all the podcasts, whenever I miss a 'Now Show' or 'Just a Minute' I just listen to it on iplayer.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
This thread makes for seriously funny reading...should be published elsewhere :)

When all is said and done, and despite the buzzkillers, I know many people that perfectly understand how Harvestman feels, and most of them have little to do with bushcrafting. His feelings are quite commonplace among my friends and family.

the Bushcraft community is kind of like a subject at school that is tucked away on a Wednesday afternoon when everyone else has gone home, most people don't know much about it and don't really care; whereas the idiocy that Harvestman alludes to is more like Maths..everybody knows what it is and gets it almost daily, it's a mainstream subject.

I can understand Southey's POV re the Army...it's easier when you don't have to interact with the rest of the world ;) That said, I'm too old for the Army, so if I treally want to bug out, I guess I'll have to try Prison...

Cheers

Sack

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Yes, that's rather the point that I was making and you seemed to miss - you are not an individual you are part of an 'us'. A group. Not an individual.
You seemed to miss that point. But do you see it now - you're just like 'them' - you share a group of common ideals and goals with another group of people (us who use BCUK) - hence not an individual. And, like 'them', you think your way is the right way and the best way. Just like 'them'.
Clear now?

Durulz, with all due respect, I have to correct your statement once more.....
I am an individual. The fact that I am on this forum, interact with others randomly and have some common interests with others does not mean I am a part of that group.
I think, act and decide on my own, based on my own findings and beliefs. And if there is nothing more that would interest me, I will leave as easy as I came.
And no, I do not think that my way is the right and best way. Far from that. I do not know what the right way is, but I do know that the way of the masses today certainly is NOT the right way. How? Simple.... look around you........ and see what is happening to mankind and the world he lives in.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
But.
There is a bit of snootiness to this thread - all those silly people with their silly trivial lives.
Some of us may (very well) disdain 'celebrity culture'. But we still have our celebrities who we adore - Ray, Mors, Lars, Lofty...even...Bear?
So, some of you don't care what the celebrities in those magazines are wearing and doing. Well...Ray is wearing a very good Swandri, have you seen the style of knife that Mors uses..?
TOWIE?
What about FAK, BOB, PSK, SAK?
You think all the 'normal' people couldn't survive in your chosen environment? Seems to me like some of you couldn't live in theirs. Ah, but you probably don't care for their world and their lives. But I dare say they feel the same about yours.

There's no difference between you and them, no matter how hard you try to con yourself otherwise.

Thats a good post. A big difference between 'us' and them is they often don't take themselves too seriously, many here do :lmao:

'They' may talk about the latest fashion, here people seriously talked about "Combat Sandals" last week, how ludicrous is that.

This is only a hobby, its nothing special, its not a way of life or religion, just a bunch of folk sleeping out from time to time (some here don't even do that). So lets not go taking the pee out of Jo Public, what the heck makes you special? Nothing.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
But.
TOWIE?
What about FAK, BOB, PSK, SAK?

And I've no problem or dispute with that. I'm not saying I'm any better than anyone else, or that they should be like me. I'm just saying that on the whole, I don't understand much of the rules/ideas/culture/whatever of the society that we live in.

Non-judgemental, but confused. :):confused:

Give me a tree any day. I find them better company.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
And I've no problem or dispute with that. I'm not saying I'm any better than anyone else, or that they should be like me. I'm just saying that on the whole, I don't understand much of the rules/ideas/culture/whatever of the society that we live in.

Non-judgemental, but confused. :):confused:

Give me a tree any day. I find them better company.

I don't subscribe to the idea that "everyone is the same." Anyone who believes that is not the same as me. :lmao:

I have long stopped putting human beans on a pedestal. The range of human behavior runs from the sublime to the most miserable beasts on the planet. The range of human behavior is astonishing. I believe in equality under the law but that's not the same as thinking everyone is the same and that all human beans are noble beasts.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thats a good post. A big difference between 'us' and them is they often don't take themselves too seriously, many here do :lmao:

'They' may talk about the latest fashion, here people seriously talked about "Combat Sandals" last week, how ludicrous is that.

This is only a hobby, its nothing special, its not a way of life or religion, just a bunch of folk sleeping out from time to time (some here don't even do that). So lets not go taking the pee out of Jo Public, what the heck makes you special? Nothing.

Ah well Rick - there you go again, generalising the whole of Bushcraft and all bushcrafters as being the same as you - for me it is not just a hobby - it IS a way of life... and a large part of my living as well!
So lets not go taking the pee out of bushcrafters who cannot understand Jo Public, what the heck makes us special? - one heck of a lot compared to that mass!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE