Really cheap tarp???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I am looking to get something real cheap, read Poundstretcher/unemployed cheap that would do for a few over weekenders.
I could use a modded ground sheet, but can't even find any these days, just the dodgy blue sheets and I don't really fancy them.
And internet shopping is out of the question...Tiso, millets etc all seem pretty crap with this sort of thing.

Any suggestions on where to get maybe a half decent solid black ground sheet with good grommets in shops round Belfast/UK

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Don't dismiss the blue tarp (also available in other colours). Also look at 4 mil polyethylene drop cloths (black) at DIY building supply stores. These make good tarps. Don't use grommetts, use the stone and string method (or marble and string). place a marble where you need a tie out, wrap the tarp around it, tie a loop around the tarp material, trapping the marble. the loose end goes out to your peg (I use aluminium gutter nails, light and really cheap). A couple of bamboo canes 4 (or better, 5) feet long, a bit of electrical tape and a reel of masons line (not as good as 550, but a lot cheaper) and you can make shelters for any weather. Look on You Tube under "tarp shelter" or "poncho shelter" for ideas.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Thanks, I will check out the Back drop version.
I know braided masons line is pretty good, but I have about 100 metres of pound stretcher para cordage stuff here which should do the job fairly well.

I have been following the BCUSA (thirty tarps in thirty days ) thread and makes me really want to get out in one of these again...And I have a we trip south planned for two weeks away so I wanna get in some practice time too...

Darkside

Forager
Nov 2, 2009
Aldershot, UK
Why not make your own? There is a really good thread on Hammock Forums about making your own sil nylon, that way you can choose whatever colour/ size combination of material and just impregnate it with a thinned down solution of clear silicone to waterproof it.

Thread here

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
This + 1.5m pole + 3m cord + 4 pegs = All the shelter you could want (& more). If you can't get get it all togethether and have change from a tenner, you're not trying.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@8thsinner - your paracord will do the job very well indeed, that is what I meant by 550 line (i.e. 550lb breaking strain). The BCUSA site has some really good ideas as you say. Good luck with whatever you use. pictures would be good.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Thanks all.
I know paracord, but I did say pound shop para cordage. It is no where near as strong, but I always carry 550 too, just in case...

And, hell, pictures are always good.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
A builders merchant will probably have polythene sheets for covering things up that need painting.
You might be able to find big, heavy duty bin bags. Slit them up the sides and then tape them together.
An old bed sheet, preferably a thicker and non-fitted one could be used. You can paint them with wood sealant products but it doesn't help the flammability.
If you buy cheap balls of string you can make thicker and better cordage by spinning it into rope - Mors Kochanski even recommends it as a cost saving measure in his video on ropes and knots :)

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Poundland has a tarp plus the cord needed to put it up for well, a pound lol. Just plastic but should lat a couple of tris at least. Got one just out of interest and it survived the weekend no problem. A wee bit small but i just used it for keeping the gear dry.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I did just find a British army DPM basha (Says it's silicone impregnated nylon) for 15, I doubt it's real silnylon probably pu2 or what ever that spec is which could tempt me. But it's on line, Like I said I can't order online right now, unless I can find a friend to help out with a credit card...

I wouldn't use the poncho, I know it's a tested product and all that but I just don't want the smaller size, I think a tarp just suits me better.

I did a little research into making one which isn't an option until I can get better online access, and a sewing machine...and from that a good supplier, there are a number of places reported to have silnylon, though I would prefer if I was buying it to buy Cuben most likely...Cheap for now work up to good stuff.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I did just find a British army DPM basha (Says it's silicone impregnated nylon) for 15, I doubt it's real silnylon probably pu2 or what ever that spec is which could tempt me. But it's on line, Like I said I can't order online right now, unless I can find a friend to help out with a credit card...

I wouldn't use the poncho, I know it's a tested product and all that but I just don't want the smaller size, I think a tarp just suits me better.

I did a little research into making one which isn't an option until I can get better online access, and a sewing machine...and from that a good supplier, there are a number of places reported to have silnylon, though I would prefer if I was buying it to buy Cuben most likely...Cheap for now work up to good stuff.

http://www.compareprepaid.co.uk/top-up-reload-prepaid-card.html Just load the card with the amount you need, its a safe way of shopping, you can't get ripped off.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Could you make a personal recommendation on any particular card?

On a preliminary glance, I don't mind paying application fees, the first one on that list looks good to me, but the reviews are saying it's an accumulative limit basis, and you have to replace the card once it has been topped up by a certain amount...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE