PLCE - Webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Forgetting the debate re webbing, and the pro's, con's right or wong's for a minute, I have a question for those that do use it.

I am looking into getting a PLCE belt kit. I already use a highlander bergan, and have the day sack yoke, two normal side pouches, and a medics side pouch which is the First aid kit when I take My explorer scouts camping It suits my scouting needs wonderfully, a nice size pack for expeditions and camping.

I want the belt kit for weekend stuff, lighterweight activities and as an alternative to a day sack. I generally prefer having kit on my belt rather than a day sack.

I have been looking around onine at options, and there seems to be som many different variations its hard to know what to go for. The brand new webtex is pricey too. I'm happy for second hand/used kit so long as it is in good nick. What would those that use PLCE kit recommend, and where is good to purchase from?

Cheers

Rob

Last edited:

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Have a look in John's Army Surplus on Horley Road just outside Redhill. They sometimes have some in stock and you can give it the once over. Failing that, plenty comes up on eBay

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Might be worth giving them a call see if they have any, as I say it's something they have from time to time but don't always seem to have it in stock, or in the shop at least.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I'd recommend avoiding Webtex. I've not used it myself but I frequent Arrse (ARmy Rumour SErvice forum) and they're less than complimentary about it.

And I would heartily recommend Endicott's in Exeter as a supplier. I'm sure Kev would be able to sort you out for a very reasonable price.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
original plce is very good, not used webtex either but mainly as i collect genuine stuff also so dont buy copies. it's very hard wearing and still available second hand in green. not that light tho, but does shed water better than 58. careful when using with rucksacks as civvy rucksacks are long on the back and will foul the webbing. i have a arktis chest rig that can be used with civvy packs but don't often.
webbing brands that are good are..
arktis
wyvern
'troopers' in colchester, bespoke stuff in black, green, dpm, multi cam and tan. very high quality.
protac

but a couple of utility pouches and a yoke and canteen on a belt is more than fine for general use.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
dragon supplies do belt kits also but i believe they are a slightly inferior to 'troopers', also, use a standard compression buckle plce belt, don't bother with a roll pin its over kill for civilian use.
i use a mixture of american alice in og and olce og on my belt kit, but to be truful, i hardly ever use it now.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
the two best pouch's for carrying stuff in, for your needs from plce webbing would probably be the water bottle pouch and the utility pouch, two of each and a belt would carry a fare amount of kit.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'd recommend avoiding Webtex. I've not used it myself but I frequent Arrse (ARmy Rumour SErvice forum) and they're less than complimentary about it.

And I would heartily recommend Endicott's in Exeter as a supplier. I'm sure Kev would be able to sort you out for a very reasonable price.

I'm not a fan of webbing but TBH webtex while not the best kit on the planet is perfectly servicable for 'bushcraft' or wearing around in the woods.

If you were off on deployment to Afghanistan ( like a reasonable amount of folk on Arrse are) then you'd want something far better then webtex. It gets a pasting as being carp from folk that actually use webbing as 'webbing' if you know what I mean.

However some 90 patt PLCE is probably a good bit cheaper than some New Webtex and it's OG not DPM..

Andybysea's advice is sound on pouch selection... I'm not sure you'll need Spanish tabs for your usage pattern.

Advance to contact...

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
yup I have to echo the dislike of Webtex! is not so great, put a PLCE next to Webtex copy and you will easily tell the difference:

PLCE = designed to be really chucked about, and has been tested. (though cheaply made and not so comfortable it is extremely tough!
Webtex = is a cheap copy, some good features, but not as strong.
as another possible choice, Arktis, I use it and don't have any problems, not as strong as PLCE though.

PLCE straps and clips are strong, and stiff.
Webtex (I'll add Arktis into the same category(my preferance)) can feel flimsy in comparrison, the fabric is thinner, softer so though it will feel comfortable when empty, when full it will move about more and is more likely to break.

the real tester is what you are doing with it?
if you are going to really test it and put it in rough mountainous/off road conditions PLCE will undoubtably last longer is the better choice but is possibly less comfortable.
if you are more likely to be walking, and gentle camping stuff, you could use anything.

I also agree Dragon supplies, top kit! you can even get it made to your own specifications, in DPM, Desert DPM, Tan (my favourite) or even Multicam (the new US/UK camo).
1252622259_MID.jpg

I like the Idea of the brown versions, the sandy brown should work in most environments and looks less aggressive than DPM/OG!

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
hunt about for OG 90 patt the earlier stuff is better but if you can get a bunch of waterbottle/utility pouches instead of ammo pouches or just use one ammo pouch for choccy bars and binos or flask cup.

20 years ago when adapting a bergan I remade a side pouch into a large butt pack and used the surplus bits to make a zip off lid and a few small pouches for field dressings, binos and head torch. nowadays I would have made a knife cover inorder to maintain political correctness.

stitch the pouches together and zip tie to the belt, plus make or add a hippo pad for comfort.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
I have loads of PLCE pouches both Green DPM and dersert that the didn't want back, all sat in a box somewhere. People like the desert ones because they come in a massive array of sizes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE