Bushcraft Magazine - Why So Expensive?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I second what Mang has said. Also, if you find the magazine is too expensive, there is a digital version as well why has everything that the main magazine has except considerably cheaper. I agree that the international costs would be higher but that is have to pay postage overseas on top of the magazine.

Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Subscription for Bushcraft & Survival skills is £29 for six editions (UK) so I'm not sure how good or bad overseas rates are. I put this thread on for people to reference articles in the said mag http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70565&highlight=

It has gone from 50 pages to 82 pages (and no, that isn't and extra 32 pages of ads) and hasn't gone up in that time and yet people have said on here before 'Oh it used to be good'...when it was more pence per page? It's £4.95 per issue but it's bi-monthly so it's £2.47ish a month...how much is a packet of fags? A pint down the pub? A bottle of wine?

There's also a lot of non-truths written about the mag on here too...it features how to use a bow and drill each issue and Bear is always in it for instance-Utter rubbish!

As for content, well the main guest articles in the latest issue feature a big 4 page article by Fergus ''Roadkill chef'' Drennan on Dandelions, Jason Ingamells (founder of Woodland Ways) doing a 3 page basket weaving tutorial, Ben & Lois Orford show how to make a elongated wooden bowl, Pablo from Woodlife describes how to spot nests and chicks, Ben McNutt (Woodsmoke founder) has done a detailed 3 page piece on fish haunts and feeding habits bowl, Dale Collett (British Bushcraft School) has a 2 page feature on drying out and using a fire by friction kit, top tracker and Shadowhawk founder Ian Maxwell has a 2 page snake article, Annette Stickler (Campfire Skills) has done a fantastic 3 page piece on Romany Gypsies and Fraser Christian (Coastal Survival) has a 2 piece article on building a beach oven.

That's 19 pages just on those articles alone, add in the regular and smaller 1 page features (eg bushcraft on a budget, Tristan Gooley, reviews, course directory etc) and I make it 13 outside company ad pages which leaves 69 pages. It's also worth pointing out that two half ads are a magazine readers offer for a frontier stove & knife bay where you can advertise knives for sale.

The mag have also got Lars Kochanski and Gransfors coming to their Outdoor Show in June and I noticed on Facebook that the editor has been chatting to Mors Kochanski over a 'watch this space' something or other. Would any of then be associated with this so called 'rubbish' mag?

Sounds like a load of good info to me. But I still cant justify paying the "international" rate which is unfortunate. I'm looking at possibly getting a subscription to either Bushcraft magazine, Backwoodsman or maybe Self Reliance Illustrated... they're much more reasonably priced.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sounds like a load of good info to me. But I still cant justify paying the "international" rate which is unfortunate. I'm looking at possibly getting a subscription to either Bushcraft magazine, Backwoodsman or maybe Self Reliance Illustrated... they're much more reasonably priced.

I've been reading Backwoodsman for eons. That's a must have. :) They just recently changed the print quality too and the photos are much more clear now.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex

As I said, they do a digital magazine that is universally cheap, subscription for a year is just £19 and that is the same everywhere, if you want to read it then you can read it online and even print it off if you wanted.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
simply put - label it bushcraft and up the price by a third!

its not very good for the price at all really considering the subject matter they can cover, they dont really do it that well either from a beginner or purist level as you know the idiots will allways vote for ray mears as bushcrafter of the year despite not having done bushcraft for the past 5 years so the vote is defunct. and while they need advertising to pay for it it does get in the way of the articles. for that many adverts they should give the magazine away. content wise its very sparse and they could have done with digging up the three years worth of Survival Weaponry and Techniques from back in the 80's which was probably a better magazine for its honesty and direction even if the paper was crap.

I'm not happy with the way they operate, I received a 'your subscription is running out soon' as I have before but this time I had decided not to renew then I received another 4 editions at least which remain unread along with the past years subscription as it had little of interest except probably the adverts. In fact I think I've never sat and read a full one after issue one as the articles are just too shallow to be properly usefull and seem more to advertise the authors bushcraft school than anything else or are just plain fake . the price seemed to be related to the goods they had to bribe you with to take a subscription out.

long may it continue as at least it is a voice however bad but the whole bushcraft thing smacks of the survival boom in the 80's except its way more expensive and I can see it going back under the surface again for a few years till the next tv inspired boom as unlike the states we dont appear to be able to maintain continuity in this sort of thing. I can see it happening now but at least the internet is keeping it going on a more general level in place of the old back room of the pub survival clubs.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
There's a few threads that seem to be running along the same lines and I commented in a different one about the need for positive criticism if we need to criticise at all, I appreciate that there's lots of things people get miffed about, but suggestions along with the comments would be good for everyone, they can then take that and improve, this thread seems to be moving into a bashing session....

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
Well I subscribed to Bushcraft magazine and received the back issues I ordered last week (within 3-4 days of me ordering), and I have to say I am really impressed, not just with the fascinating content but by the whole 'friendly feel' of the magazine and the positive helpful tone of it's contributors.

I should add I do buy and read Bushcraft & Survival and will continue to do so. If you asked me which one I prefered I would say Bushcraft Magazine. The difference I think is the depth of the content, Bushcraft & Survival is a good read (imho) but I read it on the lav or in the bath. Bushcraft Magazine had me engrossed and rushing out to sharpen my knife, or to the local wilds to try and locate some wild foods. No links or affiliations to either etc etc.

Last edited:

Mang

Settler
*its not very good for the price at all really considering the subject matter they can cover.

*while they need advertising to pay for it it does get in the way of the articles.

*they could have done with digging up the three years worth of Survival Weaponry and Techniques from back in the 80's.

*I'm not happy with the way they operate, I received a 'your subscription is running out soon' as I have before but this time I had decided not to renew then I received another 4 editions at least which remain unread along with the past years subscription as it had little of interest except probably the adverts.

*the articles are just too shallow to be properly usefull and seem more to advertise the authors bushcraft school than anything else or are just plain fake.

*the price seemed to be related to the goods they had to bribe you with to take a subscription out.

*How can you say it's not any good if you've only ever read issue one fully, especially as the first few issues were the thinnest as the mag started! Tell us what articles they should do seeing as they have done everything from fire thongs to bow making!!

*What High Stree magazines don't have adverts in??

*I certainly wouldn't buy if it turned into SWAT.

*Surely a quick call would have stopped this probablt oversight...and you said the ads get in the way and now they are the best bit!

*I'd like three examples of a feature pushing an authors bushie school. The mag has had, or does have Dave Budd, John Rhyder, Ben Orford, Dale Collett, Tristan Gooley, Jason Ingamells, Joe O'Leary, Annette Stickler, Fergus Drennan, Ian Maxwell, Perry McGee, Andrew Price, Dave watson & Marcus Harrison...name the weak links in that lot, and why not know where they are from? I am attending a woodland ways bushcraft weekend and I chose them partly beacause Jason writes for the magazine

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk

I've got a PDF subscription, cost me £20. Now I can electronically store them and edit out the bits I don't want. Didn't think it was too expensive fr what I was getting.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There's also a lot of non-truths written about the mag on here too...it features how to use a bow and drill each issue and Bear is always in it for instance-Utter rubbish!

QUOTE]

I just bought (!) the latest issue to see if had improved over time.
It has - but is still too superficial and "style over content" for me but others obviously like it.
Even though it has two full pages on Fire by friction (how to use a bow drill set if you get it wet - answer use the heat generated to by the normal method to dry it out before using the now dry set to make an ember) and SIX pages of Bear Gryls knives being praised - sorry "reviewed" :D plus a review of his latest book....
Still living up to its rep no matter what you say!
I will save my dosh in future - though the mag did make the time pass as I waited for the dentist :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've got a serious suggestion crazydave...if you have the mags lying around, I'm missing some editions so you could shift some, get some cash and they'd go to a good home! PM me if you want to...

I have some in a box somewhere too - let me know which you want... I even have the latest issue for sale if you missed it....

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i recently subscribed and to be honest i like it and the book i got with the subscription if good too, being a gear ***** i actually dont mind the ads and it points me to places i may have missed and the fact its the only mag you can get off the shelf without hunting the other one online is an added bonus of introducing new people to the subject too.

at the end of the day you have the choice to buy or not to buy so i cant see the problem but i can see the frustration with the OP in overseas costs

Geordie9

Forager
Oct 25, 2010
Hampshire
I've got a PDF subscription, cost me £20. Now I can electronically store them and edit out the bits I don't want. Didn't think it was too expensive fr what I was getting.

Did you have to wait long before you were able to view the magazine after you paid for the subscription? I purchased mine on the 29th May but still haven't been able to log in. I have also emailed the subscription team for help twice but haven't heard anything back.....thinking I should have just listen to everyone here and gone for Bushcraft magazine instead. :banghead:

Geordie9

Forager
Oct 25, 2010
Hampshire
Well, after 3 emails regarding my subscription I have had no response from the subscription team, general enquiries, editorial or even advertising team. My last email gave a dead line of today for a response but none has come so I now have to contact my card provider and get dispute the transaction.

Awful customer service from Bushcraft and Survival skills magazine, I should have listened to you all and just given this a miss and gone for Bushcraft magazine.

Rubbish..Rubbish..Rubbish

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
It always interests me who comments on this type of thread from the anonimity of their PC.
I subscribe to both, used to get the BCUK one too, as some of you know I contribute to one of them. I agrea that its a damn shame BUCK went under, I enjoyed it emensley, as I enjoy reading Bushcraft-Magazine and I enjoy Bushcraft & Survival Skills Magazine. All three were and are different.

It just makes me laugh how people slag off instructors and writers that feature in Bushcraft & Survival skills magazine and yet at shows and on courses are held in awe of them. If Mors started writing for the mag, would you then slag him off too?
Lofty Wiseman made an appearance at the show and talked for hours, is he a nobody, was he trying to sell something (ok he sold some books, but you get my point) does his association make him any less of a legend?

Also I know for a FACT that certain people who have contributed the degrading comments on this very thread have aplied to write for them on more than one occassion, demanding all sorts of fees and sweatners, is this sour grape perhaps. You know who you are!!

Tony, thank you for your comments on this thread, I do feel that if perhaps people would put pen to paper or perhaps email in articles or sugestions as the editors have asked on several occassions stating "this is your magazie, tell us what you want to see" it would help all involved, readers included.
Send in a readers letter with your own article, lets see how you want it to be done. Thats how I got started with them, so come on, put up or shut up.

No matter what happens, there will always be the "my one is better than yours" mentality. Why dont we just be thankful we have a choice rather than only one or worse still NON.

We should be pleased that we have choice in magazines, forums and web sites. just like TV, if you dont like whats on switch over or switch it off, just be pleased you have the variety.

End of my... No it wasnt a rant... "OPINION" as we are all entitled to. Just remember what you say may come back and bite you in the rear.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Ian' if I may offer my "OPINION"..whilst I admire your loyalty and Testicular Fortitude in sticking your head above the parapet to defend the publication that you contribute to I would like to highlight a couple of points...

Issue 32, May/Jun consisted of 83 pages (seeing as it counts front and rear covers as pages according to the page count)

By my reckoning ( & I stand to be corrected as I'm only human) of those 83 pages the content was as follows:

23 pages consist purely of adverts (49 adverts in total)
44 pages consist purely of features
12 pages consist of reviews (which dependant on how cynical your outlook may be could be construed as adverts)

The remaining pages were what I would describe as editorial / admin

The 6 page "Review" of the new Gerber Bear Grylls range was an out and out advert. Sorry but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that it was a sponsored ad!

Mr Grylls and his products / books etc receives so much coverage in this issue that one must assume that it is paid advertising (please correct me if I'm wrong)

As for your feeling that comments on this thread have been degrading to contributors of the magazine, I don't believe that to be the case..yes people have asked for more depth in articles but that could hardly be construed as degrading.

As for alluding to contributors to this thread applying to write for the publication and "demanding all sorts of fees and sweeteners" (your words, my spelling!) why not identify them in order that they may defend themselves in the open rather than leaving people to speculate (possibly unkindly) as to who this may be and what Diva like demands were made!

Following that, you then suggest that people should approach the publication with a view to making suggestions to improve the content or indeed have their own article published.... perhaps possible contributors might now feel less inclined to do so lest they be accused of Diva like behaviour..
or you could look at some of the recent articles.ie.
Dave Craze's Dutch Oven (Fried Chicken) feature where the photo's used were of a BCUK member's kit/food etc and yet no mention was made of that member despite Dave requesting that acknowledgement be made.
Certainly doesn't inspire me to contribute if I'm not certain I'll get recognition for my own work. (I was a regular contributor to a monthly magazine with a much larger audience for 3 years and never once had such concerns).

Although I do acknowledge that in issue 32 your own feature on "Tarp Repair" which you requested information on in this thread you personally acknowledged Wayland's assistance.

In conclusion my personal opinion is that considering the large amount of advertising fees that the magazine must be receiving the cover price is too high when you consider the actual content and I personally would be reluctant to contribute any article for the above mentioned reasons, I'm sure others may feel differently and may still be willing to contribute but as you say...just remember what you say may come back and bite you in the rear.

Nothing personal towards you in any way as I've actually read and enjoyed some of your articles, more observations on the publication in general, like you say just an opinion....

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The 6 page "Review" of the new Gerber Bear Grylls range was an out and out advert. Sorry but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that it was a sponsored ad!

Mr Grylls and his products / books etc receives so much coverage in this issue that one must assume that it is paid advertising (please correct me if I'm wrong)

You know what, I had dropped my subscription this year as I could see the mag just getting worse and worse, and that is really saying something. I was told about this edition as hailing the BG Gerber as the Holy of Holy knives of all time. Now, I know that the reviews are rather fickle in regard to endorsement (the Garland knife won best in test the same issue a free one was offered up in a competition... Hmm, conflict of interests maybe?), but I have had in my hands both versions of the BG Gerber... old faulty one and the new improved version. When I read that article!!! Hells Bells!! It had no interest in fact and was a blatant endorsement. The mag reached a low point it could not beat for me. Now I consider that the BG Gerber has it's place. But no way is it the 'Ultimate Knife' that the mag decreed it to be. Credibility has never been it's main selling point.

Geordie9

Forager
Oct 25, 2010
Hampshire
Yes there are lots of ads in the magazine but I thought that £19 for a digital edition subscription was a fair price.

My only problem is with the poor customer service that I have recieved.

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK

I have to say I was a tad shocked by the 'review' even wondering whether it wasn't just a long advert in the style of a review... which I guess it was...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE