Leather work for archery gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Hey guys, I am hoping to give away some leather or leather work in exchange for some archery gear.

I am in need of a dozen arrow 28-29""draw-25-30lbs spine, aliminium is fine. wood is cooler.
Also a dozen 55lbs- arrow, same draw.

I also need a string, Flemish only, for a sammick field bow, I have lost my old one and don't even know the size to order one, but I am hoping I can share pics and someone can help me track down a size.
I would like silencers on the string if possible.
I don't care too much about colours at this point.

I can provide,

Tabs,

basic longbow suited shooting gloves, kinda my own design (built in bracer style) lace up with leather strands.

Simple quivers with edge laced patterns. around pvc piping, or not. with straps, for side or back carry.

String keepers, etc
Basically most leather additions, I am NOT using veg tan leather at the moment as I have a surplus of chrome tanned leather built up.

And I will be honest my stitching isn't as good as some leather-workers but my edge lacing is to die for. SO it adds that nice fancy touch without being too detailed and distracting.
Besides, stitching on chrome tanned leather never looks as good as stitched veg tan.

Other things I can get rid of, is some antler fire steel handles pre drilled for a small fire steel. (I think off hand it's 6mm bars it takes)

Some raw antler with some nice flat bits, few good points etc... enough for flint knapping hammer, awl handles etc...

I also have some extra kydex, thick sheet stuff, I can get measurements if anyone is interested.

I can make up other leather goods too, if you have spare archery gear, let me know and ask what you would like made.
Or I can send leather in multiple colours, currently I have several hundred feet sq in black, Brown, burgundy, other burgundy, tan and even little bits of forest green. Weights vary from about 1mm to 2-2.5ishmm
I can cut leather into lace for your own projects to.

I hope someone can help get me and my partner back into shooting this summer as we found a local place doing archery now...

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Hiho,

I'll make you a string up if you like. If your bow doesn't have a length marked on it then run a tape along the back(face furthest from you when you're shooting) from nock to nock following the shape of the limbs. Post up the length and whether it's a recurve or longbow. That's enough info to be getting on with - won't need piccies.

If there's anything written anywhere post that too. Samick use three letter model codes a lot of the time. Don't really need it as most of their models use similar limb designs but it's nice to know.

Also I'm guessing the bow you need a string for is the 55lb one? If so then I'd be making a 15 strand string rather than a 12 for the lighter bow.

It'd be a single loop flemish(tie on at the lower nock). Gives us leeway in the length and means the string isn't automatically junk when it stretches. Once you've let it bed in you'll then know the length required for a double-loop string.

Colour-wise left to my own devices I inevitably go with 3-ply brown/black/green and a camo serving.:rolleyes:
They always make bushy types smile.:D
Also have a roll of white if you'd prefer.

Thinking about it I have a couple of dozen 50-55lb cedar shafts here doing nothing. I'll make you up a set of the arrows you're after too.

Happy to trade for leather. Stocks are running low.

:)
Josh

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Cromm, I was about to say my first priority is getting something to shoot, be it arrows for the light bow or bow string and arrows for heavy bow. I have some old old arrows here but they are dying and have been since 2002...Probably too dangerous to keep shooting them for much longer.

PM on the way to Grooveski

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I'll take it from the lack of response to my recent message and email that you've lost interest in this deal?
Given the time and materials it took to make your arrows and string I must say I'm not best pleased about being ripped off. It'd be nice to hear from you and see the trade completed.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
To save anyone else getting in touch I should clarify that the archery gear was delivered to 8thsinner many moons ago.
Thanks to the couple of folk who expressed an interest though, it's appreciated.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Time to write this one off I suppose and stop letting it annoy me. He's obviously dropped off the forum.

Ho hum.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE