army surplus...the bits I use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bagman

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2003
Oxon
I've had a couple of British forces DPM gortex jackets, IIRC one was RAF and the other one Army but they both had pockets on the front of them and a rank slide tab as well on one of them. Some years ago now so I guess they have changed them?

PEDRO

Jan 26, 2004
NORTH YORKSHIRE
Great Pebble said:
:shock: Stringtown's prices..... These folks are not cheap!

Couldn't find the Dutch Bivi on their website, was it expensive??

Nick in Belfast

ITS IN THEIR MAIL ORDER CAT PRICED AT £59-95 INC POST

PEDRO

Jan 26, 2004
NORTH YORKSHIRE
Great Pebble said:
No pockets in a British Goretex 'cos it's supposed to be worn under your smock...no, really :-?

I managed to pick up an Irish Army breathable suit just before Christmas. It's a quite pleasing plain green. The jacket has pockets, the trousers have slits to reach your ordinary trouser pockets.

It's badged as being made of "Cyclone" and seems to work fine. It has the added bonus of being extremely attractive to people who collect uniforms and such....

Nick in Belfast
I got a set of pants with slits for the pockets underneath and velcro and zipped parts in the leg so ya can get them on over your boots ...and my jacket has a wired hood and two front cargo pockets and a internal map pocket...the whole oputfit cost £75-00.... :roll:

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
Real infanteers dont wear waterproofs at all, they are for wear in barracks, out in the bondoo if you get wet you wait until you can get changed into dry kit

Or die of exposure
Wearing goretex under the 95 suit is pointless , its too big for one thing but thats my opinion

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
In case you're wondering, the reason that there are no pockets is - and I hope I'm not teaching anyone to suck eggs here - because you are supposed to wear them under your field jacket.
At least you didn't say it's to stop it rustling while on patrol....because the sound of the jacket is way louder than the rain is!! Which, IMHO, is the most ridiculous reason ever!!!!!

This saves having to move everything from your field jacket pockets and also - fundamentally - is much quieter as the goretex is on the inside. Yes, your field jacket does get wet but, hey-ho ......
...But this makes much more sense. (I remember that my smock used to weigh as much as my bergen in training - Which is why I went RLC and the Land Rovers took the strain!)

Reactions: sandbag47

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The new issue lightweight waterproofs are great, however they're not meant to be used as a full on outer layer, they lack pockets etc.. making them more of just a cover for when its lashing down.

If your wanting something to wear for the best part of a day then look into a decent waterproof from somewhere like decathalon etc..

I would stay away from wearing goretex under other (wet) layers, it wont breathe otherwise.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE