minnow trap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Right, I have a question, you know the minnow traps and similar you get that are basically just a plastic bottle with the top cut off, then reversed round and put back in so the opening is inside the bottle...how do they work? when the fish swims in...why doesn't it just swim back out through the opening again? :s

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i think its because they like to stick to the side of the bottle, that means they cant get out due to the reverse bottle neck.....

this is my understanding......;)

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Any I have ever made I have baited and put a few holes in the side to let the food scent out (even bread as a kid) I think minnows are inquisitive and will find a way to the food, the funnel helps guide them in (you know that bit). I think the reason they dont try to find a way out is that there was food and to conserve energy.

ATB,
Calurix

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
These also make amazing newt traps, an engineering firm used these to shift a newt population, i wasn't happy they were moving them mind but rather they're moved then dug over and buried under concrete.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I reckon that they don't swim back out of the funnel because a)they are bloody stupid and b)the current and food are keeping them in.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I used to use one every morning to catch bait for trout fishing before school on the river Coquet.

Minnow, baiting needle, tiny treble, swivel a foot and a half up from the bait on 4lb line and that's it.

Happy days...

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I used to get bullheads and sometimes parr in the same trap. On one occasion I was unimpressed to find gudgeon and no minnows up at Coldstream, which dampened my plans regarding the local salmon population that day...

I guess if you had a big enough bottle you could theoretically up-scale, but you might need to change the bait to chopped worms, maggots, casters or similar.

I'll let you try it since if you get caught you'll get lifted

EDIT:

Keep in mind that a minnow trap is the same overall shape and principle as woven fish traps made from willow and hazel so, having thought about it a little, I think a larger version would work for bigger fish very well, in the right spot.

Last edited:
You can open up the bottle neck a bit to allow slightly bigger fish in. Cut the whole top off, and cut the new edge into sharp spikes to discourage fish from leaving. The cord in the pic was used to secure it to the bottom because of the current.

wpa0ed5de9_05.jpg

Most fish traps for bigger fish work on the same principle, up to any size you can drag out from the water.

Theoretically, as most fish can't go in reverse, a bottle without the top on might also catch something, but then the problem is smaller fish stealing the bait before a stupid enough bigger fish comes.

-jh

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I used to use one every morning to catch bait for trout fishing before school on the river Coquet.

Minnow, baiting needle, tiny treble, swivel a foot and a half up from the bait on 4lb line and that's it.

Happy days...

Used to do the same on the Aln...before school...and if the bailiff came into view cast very quickly to lose the minnow and carry on fishing with the remaining fly...:rolleyes: Fly only above the iron footbridge in Lesbury...

As you say...Happy days...

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
When I was a kid we used to use a big ish jam jar to catch minnows.

Wrap a length of string around it, let the minnow swim in then yank it up.

Works well with or without bait.

Andy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
When I was a kid we used to use a big ish jam jar to catch minnows.

Wrap a length of string around it, let the minnow swim in then yank it up.

Works well with or without bait.

Andy

I did that too.
Used to put a piece of white broken crockery in the bottom so it was easier to see when a fish swam over.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Without wanting to **** in anyones cornflakes, as far as my understanding goes you need a license for trapping ANY fish in british rivers, not just crayfish. However my experience with crayfish trapping says these licenses aren't hard to get and doesn't cost anything so theres no reason not to apply :)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Without wanting to **** in anyones cornflakes, as far as my understanding goes you need a license for trapping ANY fish in british rivers, not just crayfish. However my experience with crayfish trapping says these licenses aren't hard to get and doesn't cost anything so theres no reason not to apply :)

Does that apply to kids with dip nets?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE