new to bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
hi ive been camping and fishing for years i am in the progress of mastering friction fire lighting i have also started useing a hammock and tarp has anyone any other suggestions or ideas on how to move on to the next level of bushcraft/survival skills thanks for your time cheers

dream as if you will live forever
live as if you will die today......

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
you could learn some trees and plants, it's a good time of year to look at plants because a lot of things are only just starting to grow so you get the chance to watch them develop through the year. i've recently moved house and seen a new plant that i had no idea about, but by the end of the year i'll be able to recognise it at every stage of it's growth (just for the curious, i asked on another forum and it's himalayan balsam).

welcome to the forum

stuart

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Himilayan Balsam is really invasive but they have exploding seedpods which are pretty cool for kids to see. They whiff a bit tho'

so i've been told, i'm fairly sure that i've seen it at some point in the past as a mature plant i've just never seen it in it's emergent state before.

stuart

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Welcome mate, 'Bushcraft' is really just a new name for old stuff and it sounds like you got a lot covered already, enjoy the forum, use the search box and read for a few hours/days :)

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
you could be here for years looking up all the things that you think you need to know! just put in a few key words, "tracking" "shelter building" or "foraging" etc and take it from there.welcome to the forum mate.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I think craft projects and customization. For example I've got into carving spoons, some of which were issued along with homemade jam at christmas, made my own hobo stove, tried my hand at cordage (all be it only short lenghts), making pouches and most recently I'm in the process of making some mini strops out of birch polypore fungus and a broken fence from the garden. Most of the ideas have come from various websites (www.ravenlore.co.uk has some good projects), inspiration from books or indeed this forum. See some examples below.

DSC_1063.jpg

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I'm working away at the moment ( not for long though, I start a new job near home at the end of this month ), but I live near Cockermouth. I'll give you a shout if I'm heading out and about if you want.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE