A Warning Re Quikclot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Hi there

I have been considering getting some Quikclot haemostat products to put in the FAK for major trauma.

I was talking to a military medic today - he has 4 tours in war zones under his belt and has instructor qualifications. He told me that the British Army don't use Quikclot granules any more. Basically, if it blows about and gets in your eyes it can cause corneal damage due it being a very powerful dehydrating agent. This has happened a number of times in the field. The Quikclot sponge dressings were developed to address this problem and should be safe in this regard.

However, British Army medics now use Celox products. This is a higher tech system which combines specifically with blood, rather than water - to gel and provide topical clotting.

It's a good enough recommendation for me. Whatever heamostat you choose, it is probably wise to avoid Quikclot granulated products.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for this Ronnie, I was looking at getting some Quikclot myself just last week from Fentons. Will check out the Celox stuff now though.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Celox is based on chitosan. The guy I spoke to said it was derived from prawns - it is claimed that it's safe for folks with shellfish allergies but can't find any concrete research on that despite a cursory check.

Celox Website - but that might not be a balanced perspective ;)

BTW - no affiliation to company, no financial interest, yadda yadda

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Superglue is useful for wound closure - but if you're bleeding like a stuck pig it's not going to bond. You need to stop the bleeding first. For minor and moderate stuff pressure will do this quite nicely. Haemostat is for proper OMG bleeding out scenarios.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I heard a simular story about an American serviceman who ripped the bag open with his teeth to administer the granules to an injured collegue. Most of them went in his mouth obstructing his airway and causing considerable burns. Not reccommended. The Celox bandages are in widespread use in the military now although their not cheap to buy.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
Superglue is useful for wound closure - but if you're bleeding like a stuck pig it's not going to bond. You need to stop the bleeding first. For minor and moderate stuff pressure will do this quite nicely. Haemostat is for proper OMG bleeding out scenarios.

Super glue is good as a stop gap but it begins to poison you straight away, not serious but still you need to seek proper medical attention.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I'm under going predeployment training and they've phased out quickclot because it's dust and blows about which can course nasty damage to your eyes and is a pain in the backside once you reach a field hospital.
Celox is now the choice as it is better and despite being made from shellfish (not just prawns) it is usable on people who have a shellfish allergy. Being in strip form, it is also easier to remove once you've reached better medical facilities. The recent course i just completed confirms this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE