Canvas Berghaus Crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I went to the gun show in Richmond today and had a look about. There were a good handful of surplus dealers hawking there wares. One dealer had a few packs of note...Swedish LK35 for $15, a Norwegian canvas framed rucksack with grey leather strapping for $15, a French Army internal frame ruck that had bold black zippers and black shoulder straps and hip belt for $25 and a large woodland camo MOLLE II rucksack with "plastic" frame for $29. Some of the dealers had some ALICE packs in wodland camo and a few MOLLE II patrol packs. I was lucky and found this from a vendor I use for lots of small surplus stuff. He hooked me up with a medium ALICE that was almost in a "never issued" condition for $20. I did not purchase an LC-1 frame, as that is the bit that makes "water boarding" seem like "fun in the park" compared to the torture / pain of an ALICE frame. Here is my lucky purchase...

This is the underside of the lid. Notice the great condition of the rubber coating.
DSCN1058.jpg

The shoulder straps. Note these are the correct ones for the LC-2 medium.
DSCN1063.jpg

The medium ruck and another vendor had the M12 universal holster which I got for $20. It fits my Smith & Wesson M&P pistols.
DSCN1067.jpg

I am well pleased with my two purchases.

Gordy

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
as soon as it comes i'll be attacking those paint marks with some white spirit, hopefully they will come off. if not then i'll claim it was previously owned by a member of the Royal Marines Mountain Arctic Warfare Cadre lol
pics will follow sharpish twodogs.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
as soon as it comes i'll be attacking those paint marks with some white spirit, hopefully they will come off. if not then i'll claim it was previously owned by a member of the Royal Marines Mountain Arctic Warfare Cadre lol
pics will follow sharpish twodogs.

Nice find.....I would'nt advise you use white spirit on cordura, you may melt it or at least damage it( & the glue sticking the showerproof inner coating)......first of all try to find out what type of paint it is, if it's emulsion or other water based paint then simply soak it in luke warm water, wait until it softens, then scrape & brush it off........, if it's oil based, turpentine essence would be gentler ( I would hesitate though )..try tapping on google, there can be some great answers on forums out there..........whatever you do.. NO PAINT STRIPPER...........keep us informed.

Last edited:

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
hi there,im a decorater by trade and thouht you could use paint cleance i use it to cleane oil paints of my mits. it soffens the paint and has a granular texture wich might be of some help.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I saw a bloke by the bus stop for the end of the Pembs costal path yesterday - he had a canvas Crusader and although we chatted for a while and he was very nice he would not sell it to me as he had nothing else to carry his gear in....:(
He got it in a surplus shop a few years ago it seems.....

There must be more out there!

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
cheers for the advice lads, i'll keep that lot in mind when and if i decide to take that paint off. i may just leave on there as its on the bottom and only visible when you turn it upside down.

P.S. postie if your reading this........HURRY UP! and if it goes missing in transit i'll let the tires down on yer pushbike lol

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Looking forward to seeing the Centurion. I've got a wee wire brush for cleaning suede, I've taken paint off fabrics before with it without chemicals, might be worth a try Gunbunny. Nice find on the medium Alice there Gordy, $20 well spent. Those frames are horrible as you said, good idea avoiding it. Great pic Cliff, I hope you didn't get beasted for wearing a hood! I really don't know what it is about this thread but I've enjoyed it no end so far...

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I went to the gun show in Richmond today and had a look about. There were a good handful of surplus dealers hawking there wares. One dealer had a few packs of note...Swedish LK35 for $15, a Norwegian canvas framed rucksack with grey leather strapping for $15, a French Army internal frame ruck that had bold black zippers and black shoulder straps and hip belt for $25 and a large woodland camo MOLLE II rucksack with "plastic" frame for $29. Some of the dealers had some ALICE packs in wodland camo and a few MOLLE II patrol packs. I was lucky and found this from a vendor I use for lots of small surplus stuff. He hooked me up with a medium ALICE that was almost in a "never issued" condition for $20. I did not purchase an LC-1 frame, as that is the bit that makes "water boarding" seem like "fun in the park" compared to the torture / pain of an ALICE frame. Here is my lucky purchase...

This is the underside of the lid. Notice the great condition of the rubber coating.
DSCN1058.jpg

The shoulder straps. Note these are the correct ones for the LC-2 medium.
DSCN1063.jpg

The medium ruck and another vendor had the M12 universal holster which I got for $20. It fits my Smith & Wesson M&P pistols.
DSCN1067.jpg

I am well pleased with my two purchases.

Gordy

Great find, I admit I'm not a fan of alice packs but your bag does make my mouth water & for 20 bucks, its a give away......................... Can't agree with the phrase about man being the top predator .......there are established laws & codes between predator & prey that man ignores, there's more to predation than just killing animals........, humanity has been very lucky to get through the evolutionary process, to be where he is today........but the rest of the bio-diversity has paid & will continue to pay a very heavy price.......man has decided to be the only species on this earth.................

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I saw a bloke by the bus stop for the end of the Pembs costal path yesterday - he had a canvas Crusader and although we chatted for a while and he was very nice he would not sell it to me as he had nothing else to carry his gear in....:(
He got it in a surplus shop a few years ago it seems.....

There must be more out there!

Definately a Crusader John... Not a Roc or Centurion 2??

Cheers

John

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Time for a up to date pack from Berghaus the new Crusader 90/20,
Picture033.jpg

All the bits added for the soldier in the field ,
Picture034.jpg

Molle straps ,removable side poochs ,
Picture031.jpg

Cyclops 111 back system
Picture032.jpg

Pooch on lid that faces the right way and a nice touch a zipped pocket in the lid ,
Picture035.jpg

Zipped base with internal divider for the sleeping system ,
Picture036.jpg

extra security on the side poochs ,
Picture037.jpg

Picture039.jpg

floating lid with a zipped pooch under the lid ,
Picture040.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Internal pooch for a hydration system with exit holes for the tube,

This is a very well thought out pack with some nice touchs .

Twodogs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE