Login to reply to thread after being timed out produced endless loop.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
This is a an easily reproducible bug in vBulletin.

My browser is Firefox running under Linux. I use tabbed browsing a great deal.

It often happens that I load a tab with a page from the BCUK site but don't immediately have time to read it all. In that case I'll leave the tab open until I can get back to it. That might be well after the forum software has timed out my login session.

No problem, I can log in again any time.

Sometimes I'll decide to reply to a post after the forum software has timed out my login. In that case the forum asks me to log in again, which I do. Then I can type my reply, but when I try to post it I get a message asking me to reload the page because I've logged in after the page was rendered. So I reload the page, and hit the 'reply' button. And I get another message asking me to reload the page, because I logged in after... :banghead:

If, instead of reloading the page in the tab that I held open, I reload the page by opening it in another browser tab, then the reply is accepted normally.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Do you always tick the remember me box when you log in?
That usually sorts out any time out issues.

Thanks for the suggestion. No, I never tick that box any more because as far as I can tell it's never actually done anything for me. It hasn't changed the fact that the timeout happens (which I don't really have any issue with) and it hasn't removed the requirement specifically to log in whenever and however I've been logged out -- even if I'm using the same machine and browser when I return to the site to log in again.

I'll give it a whirl to see if anything changes, but clearly this is a software fault and ticking the box shouldn't be necessary.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE