lamb on the bone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's a great picture.

Curious about the concept of compensation though. You stick sheep in a habitat where there are large eagles, and then claim compensation when you lose one. I would say that losing a lamb or two is to be expected, but that's just me. I don't understand people...

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
That's a great picture.

Curious about the concept of compensation though. You stick sheep in a habitat where there are large eagles, and then claim compensation when you lose one. I would say that losing a lamb or two is to be expected, but that's just me. I don't understand people...

I think the eagle were reintroduced to the island, from norway iirc.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Thanks for the info. I learn something on here yet again :D

Haha, it's still crazy though as the Eagle were there first, just been away for a trip, then someone brings them back and there's all this free food kicking about in stay warm suits. guess its like the wolves of Yellowstone though soon the farmers/crofters will groan so much that they'll have to be something done about the scurge.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Harvestman the compensation jibe about farmers, if you kill a sheep on the road or if a dog kills a sheep then a farmer always says its their prize sheep. Its their way of screwing a high compensation price out of you.

phil

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Harvestman the compensation jibe about farmers, if you kill a sheep on the road or if a dog kills a sheep then a farmer always says its their prize sheep. Its their way of screwing a high compensation price out of you.

phil

Yeah, I got that. I just don't think there should be any entitlement if the stock is killed by a wild animal. But let's not turn this thread into a compensation discussion. I'd much rather talk about what a fabulous shot that is, and how magnificent golden eagles are. I've never seen one, unfortunately, and I'd love to. I still get excited seeing red kites in south wales, but a goldie..., well, that's a whole bigger animal. The person who took that shot will treasure the memory for life.

Must convince SWMBO that going to Scotland for a holida is a good idea...

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I think the eagle were reintroduced to the island, from norway iirc.

Golden eagles are native and not re-introduced.
But Mull also has a population of white tailed Sea eagles which were re-introduced from Norway, and they make the Goldies look crow sized! And have been known to try and catch Red Deer (not sucessfully though).

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Never seen a White Tailed, but would love to, must be an incredible sight

Dave

I've been less than 10metres from one in flight. It certainly made me jump.
I felt pretty exposed out on that hilltop on my own. It circled me three times before I took the hint and cleared off!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've been less than 10metres from one in flight. It certainly made me jump.
I felt pretty exposed out on that hilltop on my own. It circled me three times before I took the hint and cleared off!

Never been that close but boy are they big.

Dwarf a Goldie when you see them in the air.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Golden eagles are native and not re-introduced.
But Mull also has a population of white tailed Sea eagles which were re-introduced from Norway, and they make the Goldies look crow sized! And have been known to try and catch Red Deer (not sucessfully though).

I've seen a sea eagle once, I couldn't believe how big it was! They're certainly something else, they must have some strength in them...

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Nice eagle.

Hill sheep farming has pathetic margins, the farmers deserve all the help thay can get.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE