My first night camping in the hills in 12 years!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yungmannfuzz

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2011
NI
New years resolution was to do some camping. Used to love it as a kid- parents had a touring caravan, and always used remote sites, so I was out in the tent, running round the forest.

Really want to get out a few times this year.. and tomorrow is my first one. Really looking forward to it. Going up the Mournes tomorrow night camping at the top then walking all Saturday.

Looking forward to it.

Any tips?!

Should I bring a dry set of clothes?

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Just googled 'the Mournes', are they big mountains? Make sure someone knows where you're going and when you'll be back. Take a map.

I'd make sure to bring waterproofs, a few changes of socks, hat, gloves, thermals, an extra jumper. A full change of clothes isn't always necessary. If I'm only out for 1 day I don't take a change of trousers, teeshirt or underwear. I do pack LOTS of warms tho, I take 2 hats and a down bodywarmer.

If you have the right clothing as protection from the elements the worst that can happen is you have an uncomfortable night.

Regardless, enjoy yourself bud!

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Lovely up there mate. Extra dry clothes? - depends what waterproof gear you have with you. By the top i guess you mean Slieve Donard? Never camped there myself but walked them a bit. Enjoy it and post some photos here when you get back :)

yungmannfuzz

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2011
NI
The reason I was asking about the trousers, was because I dont have any waterproof trousers, just a jacket..

I do have ski trousers though...

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Well my ski trousers wokrs well in a damp weather, but make sure you have a set of dry clothes in a dry-bag. Or wrap it up tightly in a garbage bag and take some of those extra with you to make sure you allways have a dry set of clothes. The rest is up to you as long as you dont forget to notice people where you going. Have plenty of water for both days... Oh I just noticed that you're off today....... :D Have a safe journey and we would love to se some photos :)

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
The Mournes are often wet regardless of the weather forecast, it's just that sort of country :) They're a great spot but always assume it will rain or that the cloud will descend. Cheap overtroos and jacket from Regatta or suchlike are an absolute must and jeans are always a bad idea - they're like a sponge - any non-cotton, non-denim hardwearing fabric will be fine. Other than that as long as you have the basic kit it's a great place. Loads of peaks and trails to explore and no shortage of wild campsites if you're willing to do a bit of walking.

There's a good base kitlist here for the hills:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=885.0

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE