Advice - Cairngorms Plateau Camping November

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Advice - Cairngorms Plateau Camping November
Anyone have experience of camping on the cairngorms plateau in early November with regards to the weather / temperatures / equipment etc ? Looking to spend a bout 2 weeks there.
Any tips or do's and don't whilst up there ?

In response to you seeking advice I would like ask one simple question;
Are you an experienced mountaineer?
If the answer to that question is no then my advice to you if you value your life is, do not go anywhere near the cairngorm plateau, especially in winter.
Regards, Mart.

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Did 2 x Winter Mountain Leader courses here in late 80's early 90's with Glenmore Lodge.

Did lots of other trips, winter and summer here as well.

The place is fearsome, particularly noteable is the very high number of days each year where over 100 MPH winds are recorded on the summit of Caingorm.

A really nice option however is to do a complete walk around the place via the Lairig Ghru from Linn of Dee to Coylumbridge from south to North, and then choosing another pass from North to south, starting off maybe through Glen/Loch Avon and back maybe by Glen Derry.

Sorry a bit rusty on the route options now, been a while since up there last, and OH! why did I sell most of my maps when I moved out here! I miss them (Cairngorm though is not a lot of help to me in Jordan, in all fairness!).

You will need OS maps 1;50 43/44/36/37.

However the better 1:25 OS (Explorer maps) covers this entire region far better and shows the options very well.

BUT, a crossing of these passes in winter is also a very serious undertaking.

Make sure you have the right equipment, Bothy where you can but always take alternative camping arrangements with you. I have stayed at Corrour before now where there were so many people we basically had to sit up all night, there were many bivying outside as well.

If the weather turns foul, which it will, a substantial number of walkers and climbers will get off the hils and seek out these very important life saving shelters.

Make sure your head torch is good enough for a retreat from high ground.

If you cannot pace count in white out conditions, dont walk on the summit, nearly walked off the edge once, stopped from doing so by Mick Hardwick (fantastic climber, great man, died 33 yrs old in Kathmandu air crash 1992).

It is a great place to be, but start small and develop the skills, and fitness before going daft.

Better still do some course at Glenmore Lodge, brilliant training, great instructors!

Alan L.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE