Which Land Rover?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoggy

Jan 30, 2010
uk
And there is the main reason for not buying a new land rover.

The best thing about land rover was the ability to fix them cheaply (they needed to be cheap to fix), unfortunately with the development of all the electronic junk this is no longer the case.
I'm a fan of older landies they are fun to go out and beat up and then fix for peanuts. For a modern multi purpose vehicle I think Jap or Yank would be preferable.

For out and out off road then eastern block vehicles win hands down.

Unfortunately it's the way all new cars are going, the Euro 5 (copied by many countries inc. Australia) emissions restrictions mean that the manufacturers have to make the engines more complicated to meet the law. The euro 6 restrictions coming in in 2013 will be the death knell for quite a few cars and their engines.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Unfortunately it's the way all new cars are going, the Euro 5 (copied by many countries inc. Australia) emissions restrictions mean that the manufacturers have to make the engines more complicated to meet the law. The euro 6 restrictions coming in in 2013 will be the death knell for quite a few cars and their engines.

The manufacturers need to build better engines/drive systems, the technology has been out there for years, yet the manufacturers persist with old and cheap to produce junk, with just enough development to keep up with the "outdated before it's released" legislation.`
|Sorry OT I shall stop bleating now.

garethw

Settler
No armchair off roading for me.. My Terrano with BFG All Terrains goes off road every day..It pull trailors, horseboxes and gets muddy all the time...
Having had a couple of PAtrols that were great off the black stuff, the Terrano has really surprised my by its agility, and capacity off road. The LCD on the rear axel is very good, ... not as good as a difflock but pretty good nonetheless.
Cheers
Gareth

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
To reply to the original question, I have had a few Landies including Defender and Disco (both 300TDi).
Defender = more practical (hose out inside, carries its scars well etc)
Disco = comfort, but still good off road.
Avoid the auto on a Disco 300Tdi, it just robs too much power and leaves you frustrated.
On either model, check the service history rigorously and go over the vehicle carefully or get a professional inspection - the cost could save you lots!
Be prepared for bigger service bills than a 'normal' car and seriously ask yourself if you can stomach 30mpg (at best) when diesel is predicted to reach £1.50 a litre by summer.
I love my Defender 110 hardtop (300Tdi) to bits, but I don't know how much longer I can cope with the fuel cost. Just topped up tonight from quarter tank, nearly £80!!!

Nick

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Bojit,

You beat me to it, except my armchair was a Discovery 3. Now it's a 1994 200TDi Defender 90, (talk about a step change!), not as comfy as the disco, but it sort of suits me better evin if I do miss the heated seats and the CD player!

Dave

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Would you mind telling that to my wife please!:lmao:

Sounds like you need to do what I do when I need to convice madame manacles that one of my lunatic ideas has validity - "I've carried out extensive internet research dear and everyone says (enter required item: land rover, ka-bar, paramo clothing etc) is the thing to have and now is a particulalry good time to buy" ;-)

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
Speaking of armchair off-roading: Range Rover Sport out of its usual habitat. Best of both worlds?

dp_range_rover_sport_hse_11_3bf7.jpg

or this:

38581lr.jpg

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I guess you guys don't have the "pleasure" of salted roads in the winter over there in Aus. I've known more than a few toyota's suffer from salt induced corrosion (and many other makes too!)
Your Hi-lux looks fun. Is that loadbed a standard option over there or is it "homegrown"?

Dave - Very fond of Landrovers, but never to proud to steal a good idea!

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
I guess you guys don't have the "pleasure" of salted roads in the winter over there in Aus. I've known more than a few toyota's suffer from salt induced corrosion (and many other makes too!)
Your Hi-lux looks fun. Is that loadbed a standard option over there or is it "homegrown"?

Dave - Very fond of Landrovers, but never to proud to steal a good idea!

nah here it doesnt get that cold that the road need to salted, but befor i bought it the last owner rolled it on it side so there small top rust but never to bag yet ^^

i had 3 toyotas, now a 84, 87 toyota 4runner but my 95 is good but need new front and back leafs, it one of hilux fails the leafs bend down atfer years and years

well this toyota im not gonna custom like my last coz it goes good off road and run great how it is but soon gonna need new leafs maby a clutch, but i did custom the tray ^^

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I know this may have been done to death but...

...later this year I am planning on buying an off road vehicle. Despite all the negative stuff out there I'm still hankering after a Land Rover.
Either a Defender or a Disco new or used.

I would be interested to hear anyone's comments on these two vehicles, positive and negative, and any general 4X4 comments which would be relevant.

I shall now don my tin hat and retire to my bunker!!

If you are buying with your heart, go for a Defender. It will put a smile on your face. If you are buying with your head, go for a disco. Comfier, almost as good offroad and a lot more vehicle for your money.

There are a lot of more intelligent options than a Defender, especially as a daily driver, but I use mine every day and I wouldn't part with it for the world. Our other car is a BMW Mini Cooper S, which I almost never drive. I would far rather be in my Defender, it doesnt do 0-60 in 7 seconds and it doesnt corner like it's on rails, it doesnt have built-in sat nav, aircon or heated seats, but none of that seems to matter.

my90.jpg

IMG_6550.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

IMG_6369.jpg

bombcrater003.jpg

defender003.jpg

defender002.jpg

defender001.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE