Edible flowers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
On countryfile tonight they were showing flowers which you can eat. Does anyone have a list of edible flowers or is there a book.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Off the top of my head: marigold (I use the petals in buns - gives the finished article a saffron colour and a subtle flavour), wood sorrel (small quantities), dandelions (with well known side-effects), violets (sweet violet for preference), rose petals, elder (as stated above). Lots of others in the famous "Food for Free" book by Richard Mabey.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Nasturtium, rocket flowers, dandilion, marigold, rose (all the rose family including aplle etc), violets, elder, basil, borage, coriander, chamomile, all the usual alliums including chives and wild garlic, hibiscus, fennel, mustard, geranium, runner bean, broad bean, pea etc etc.

I'd say in most cases if you can eat the leave, pod or fruit - you can eat the flower. But don't quote me on that....

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Nasturtium, rocket flowers, dandilion, marigold, rose (all the rose family including aplle etc), violets, elder, basil, borage, coriander, chamomile, all the usual alliums including chives and wild garlic, hibiscus, fennel, mustard, geranium, runner bean, broad bean, pea etc etc.

I'd say in most cases if you can eat the leave, pod or fruit - you can eat the flower. But don't quote me on that....

Chives are good before they flower when just in bud... peppery.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I remember when we were out, Wayland saying gorse tested of yellow... ;-)

I'd agree with Wayland on that one yeah, nice bit of yellow.
and a hint of a mix od Pea pods or coconut depending on the time of year.
looking forward to spring and some gorse bud tea!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE