Any ideas? After a tough rucksack in a bright colour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Has anyone got any recommendations for a classic shape rucksack (main bag, lid pocket, two side pockets and preferably a zipped access to the bottom of the main sack).

I'm after something tough rather than light, with a good back system.

I like the Highlander 55l. It's a bit big, and the back system is a bit too rudimentary. Also it's olive green. I'd rather have something less like I'm trying to pretend I'm in the army.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Deuter make some good bags. Not the lightest, but excellent back system. I've used a 28 for ten years now almost every day and still looks brand new - I'm not kidding. Some of them are quite lurid too :p

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
When I'm out and about I always wear shades of olive. This is because I like to be unobtrusive, both in terms of other people but more importantly for wildlife I am trying to photograph. I actually think olives are as good for being unobtrusiveas as DPM (which I loathe for the reasons you give).

I have no inclination whatsoever to appear to be a wannabe squaddie. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for the military but I am am not a military type and do not wish to be mistaken for them, and DPM is always associated them. Olive is a good compromise. I have almost as much of an adverse reaction to bright colours as I do for DPM I'm afraid.

My only concessions are my Karrimor SF rucksacs which I rate very highly but which are also in olive not DPM. I am a bit of a bag freak and I have 3 of these, not to mention a whole load of other sacs I have collected over the years and which no longer get used.
I'll stop now before I dig myself even further into this hole I have started, and merge quietly into the background.

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Has anyone got any recommendations for a classic shape rucksack (main bag, lid pocket, two side pockets and preferably a zipped access to the bottom of the main sack).

I'm after something tough rather than light, with a good back system.

I like the Highlander 55l. It's a bit big, and the back system is a bit too rudimentary. Also it's olive green. I'd rather have something less like I'm trying to pretend I'm in the army.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Have alook on Ebay for an old Karrimor Jaguar or Panther or Condor...

Such as....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Karrimor-Jaguar-S63-KS-100e-Rucksack-Backpack-Bag-60-65-/180614430157?pt=UK_SportingGoods_BackpacksRucksacks_Bags_EH&hash=item2a0d757dcd

or....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Karrimor-Condor-60-80-Rucksack-/320649055924?pt=UK_SportingGoods_BackpacksRucksacks_Bags_EH&hash=item4aa82c4eb4

Cheap strong well made and by the time you have worn it out you'll be nursing your grandkids...

HTH

John

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When I'm out and about I always wear shades of olive. This is because I like to be unobtrusive, both in terms of other people but more importantly for wildlife I am trying to photograph. I actually think olives are as good for being unobtrusiveas as DPM (which I loathe for the reasons you give).

Technically you could wear bright orange or yellow and you'd still have the same affect on most creatures, it's the disruptive pattern/shape and lack of movement which is the key to not spooking them. I dress head to toe in olive so I know where you're coming from, and despite what I've just said if I'm out shooting bunnies or woodies then I always grab my camo smock :)

I just can't see me wearing something like this in Yorkshire :) ...
orange.jpg

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Thanks a lot guys, I just checking out the recoomendations now.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for the military
Like Grayfox, I have every respect for the military, and I feel (rightly or wrongly) a bit of a fraud, wearing anything in camo...

I like the old Karrimors. I still have a travel rucksack by them with a SA9000 back system which I think is the best I've worn - really adjustable, and a sort of airtex finish to cut down sweating. It's only problem is its form - a big uncovered zip across the top and no side pockets. The back's so comfortable I even considered cutting it up to make into a simple load carrying harness...

More suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Thanks a lot Sandbender. I had heard Crux mentioned before but it's hard to tell what sort of bag each manufacturer makes without some expert advice. They look just the sort of ethos I was after - might have to look for some bolt-on side pockets.

I know it's more "technical" not to have side pockets, but they're damn handy.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Like Grayfox, I have every respect for the military, and I feel (rightly or wrongly) a bit of a fraud, wearing anything in camo...
Similar attitude, I tend to avoid DPM and OG as my bro would have a field day taking the pee and calling me ******* civvy and a walt :D

I'm with you on the love for old Karrimor packs too, my alpiniste s is my all time favourite :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thanks a lot Sandbender. I had heard Crux mentioned before but it's hard to tell what sort of bag each manufacturer makes without some expert advice. They look just the sort of ethos I was after - might have to look for some bolt-on side pockets.

I know it's more "technical" not to have side pockets, but they're damn handy.

When I need extra carrying capacity I secure a set of Ortlieb bags to the sides, this earlier thread shows how.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
I've heard of Aiguille and like that they're made in the UK.

Slightly off topic - but why the hell do nearly every rucksack manufacturer never have pictures of their rucksack back systems? It's absolutely bizarre. Go on ebay and every kid, grandad and all in between selling a rucksack will have taken a picture of the back system - even if it is completely out of focus. But go to any professional rucksack seller and nada. Really odd.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Osprey packs are said to be very good, and come in lime green if you like that sort of thing! Never had one myself though.

Fjallraven do the style you want, but cheap they are not.

My mother bought me a Fjallraven pack when I was 15, which I used for about 10 years - it didn't wear well, and to be honest wasn't that comfortable either despite looking the part. I was very fond of it anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE