Parking for Dartmoor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
Can anyone suggest a safe (and free) place to leave a car for a couple on nights in April while rambling around on south dartmoor?

I want to wild camp on the south moor somewhere (avoiding the military zones to the north) but need to leave the motor somewhere.

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Not sure anywhere can be regarded as 100% safe. I have parked at various moor gates and left the car overnight and never experienced any trouble. I tend to head for the more remote ones at the end of small lanes. Wouldn't risk Burrator reservior too many scrotes passing by. The parking is bad at Lud gate unless you are prepared to walk the extra half mile but have always felt safe there. Have parked at New waste near Torr a few times but camping is becoming very popular at Piles Copse and so this location is being used a lot now. You could leave your car in a village. Hope this helps.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
intertidal has a good point i would leave my car there aswell but ive left my car all over not realy had any problems as long as you dont leave it where kids hang out like the ressies and such just find a lane layby or near a house which is what i do most times most pepole round these parts just park in the nearest layby to there house as do there visiters without any bother so if you leave it there everyone will just think it is someone visiting

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Can anyone suggest a safe (and free) place to leave a car for a couple on nights in April while rambling around on south dartmoor?

I want to wild camp on the south moor somewhere (avoiding the military zones to the north) but need to leave the motor somewhere.

In the layby opposite the East Dart Hotel at Postbridge
Park in Holne Village
Park in Belstone Village
Park at YHA Bellever

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE