Walking the Staffordshire way(93miles) self sufficiently. Kit advice please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Hi all, I've been thinking of a bit of a trek for a while now. The Staffordshire way starts about a 2 miles from me, so think I'm going to do it this spring. I'm pretty site I can find somewhere to pitch for the night. But any advice un the way if kit lists etc. Water could be a problem, so any advice there. It's 93 miles. I'm thinking it will take approx 4 days. Thanks alot all.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Best bet is get the maps out and look for places for resupplie at the same place you will get water so you carry less ,
As for kit keep it simples , i.e. if your not carrying a tent use a poncho as it can be used as shelter and waterproofs .
plan loads of brews maybe a powered soup during lunch .
keep you plan flexable its more fun that way
rememeber your there to enjoy it so dont make it a mile counting tab!!

Twodogs

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
That's it. That's what I'm thinking, nice and steady and enjoy it. I've not used a poncho before. Are they any good/expensive? I was thinking maybe tarp hammock combo. Again that will be a new investment aswell, I'm familiar with alot if villages etc en route. I'm thinking, bum a lift the the southend. And walk home.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Have a look at the Highlander hawk bivi.I use it and for the price it's brilliant,highly breathable and waterproof not too heavy and plenty of room,it has a mossie net that zips in if you need it too.
As for the trip ,go for it.
I would try to get the lightest pack you can carry as a pack that's too heavy can spoil a trip,Plan your route to allow for extra or less mileage,you may find a spot you want to spend some time in.There's nothing worse than having to rush and miss things because you are running behind time to the next stop.Make sure you carry enough water, and make sure you drink it.
Above all enjoy it.

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Cheers Sapper and everyone else. Been able to take my time and enjoy it is my main reason I'm starting at the south end and working my way back home so there is no rendevouz etc to get a lift home to rush me. I have permission to fish in one is two places for brown trout to. So hoping on some fresh dinner!

Ryecroft

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 26, 2007
North Shropshire
If you are planning on taking your time, with setting up camp, getting a brew on and fishing etc., I would probably allow for 5 days. I did the sandstone trail two years ago, and while 'relatively' fit, the three days were quite tough, some days will be shorter and some longer depending on proposed camp site locations etc.

Enjoy it though, and good on ya!

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
I did a similar thing in May last year, did the south downs way from Winchester. We did it dressed as Romans to raise cash for help for Heroes. We tried to keep it authentic and carried our kit in hessian packs we made our selves, with hessian and rope. This meant our kit had to be extremely light. We wild camped the whole route and did it over five days, approx 20 miles a day. Because of our kit it was fairly tough going, comfort wise, ropes digging into your shoulders and a bloody great roman helmet on your head.

But one thing I did learn from it when we set up camp each day regarding kit, was I found it more enjoyable, because of the fact kit was kept to an absolute minimum.

I dont know how hardened you are to this distance over four days,but from my experience dont for get some GOOD blister plasters and foot powder. As for water we were fine as there was water points and they were marked on the map. If you dont have this advantage I would fill up at every opportunity, Farms being a good bet.

You say your doing it self sufficient, does this mean your carrying four days food. We cheated on this one, The Army supplied us both with ration packs and we went out and buried them along route the week before. Luckily no wild life nicked it which was our biggest concern.

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Hi everyone again, I've decided to do the walk on the 20th of June this year, and do it in 3 days. I'm going to do it in aid of cancer research uk. My main worry now is water really. Any advice or help on collecting on the way would be appreciated. Also anyone willing to donate and sponsor is welcome @ www.justgiving.com/raybennett2705 . That would be great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE