Supplier of plastic Net Making needles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Ar the moot last year I did a course in net making & some of the guys were using a plastic net making needle that had a pointy V shaped front with a slit in it. I want to have another go at net making & am looking for a supplier of net making kit.

Does anyone know where I can get such a plastic net making needle from? Thanks

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Thanks for the replies. I have a wooden one that I made at the moot & know how to carve them now, but fancied one of the newer plastic ones. Not very trad but that was what I wanted. I will gist off the wooden one & start off again with that I suppose.

I had seen the JBS Nets site before I posted this thread, after having a good look on here & a Google as well. I shall goofle on. as there must be a supplier out there; just need to find the right search string.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Yes, net making is somthing I tried at the Moot & really liked but have not had the time/inclination to take up again. I was in a poundland/cheap supermarket type shop the other day and they had a large spool of nylon thread for a few quid, so I snapped it up & thought I would have a go making some nets again. I am looking round for the needle I made & may well make another one, now that I know how. I will then give all the tutorials I have found another go.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Sorry didn't see this earlier I was the leader on said workshop. The name you have for the needles looks correct I know them as Norwegian needle however a bough them in France!!!

they can be made from a green ash stick ab out 1inch in diameter and ten inches long. Cut in the channels and open up both ends so you have a very long h shape, one end will need its legs longer this will be the point. the tips can then be bound together and the stick left to dry. the point is the carved to shape. Its a bit of a basic description (must do a tutorial some time) but hope it helps

this is the lomis home page http://loomissales.com/marine-products/norwegian-net-needles that shows there full range I prefer a longer needle more to hold on to.

this might also help Ive never used any of the links i found it a while back and saved it for reference http://www.nettingnook.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/Needles-Shuttles-handout.pdf

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
jdlenton, thanks for your help & links above. Loomis seem to be the manufacturer & I have ordered a larger 8" x 1" one to be getting on with. In the mean time I have loaded up the old school wood one I carved at the moot & have made a 4'x2' frame that I plan to use to make a few small nets to get back into it again. I figured I would make a 'cargo hammock' (or whatever they are called) to put stuff in to keep it off the ground when I am hammocking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE