Beer,Lager,and Ale, oh my...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Hah! but I make Windfall Cider and then I ice refine it on bitter cold Winter nights to mellow it out :D
Now that stuff makes strong men gasp, but it's smooooooth going down and it fair heats everything up, and it smells like apple jelly but is almost as clear as water.......and technically I suppose it's scrumpy........

Now that reminds me of an old comedy film with betty davis where she goes to some wintery rural small town to do a 1930's style "makeover show" and the man of the house does some weird thing with his cider in in a tub or something in the ice outside to make it more "pokey" It was a hilarious film actually. What's the sectret of ice refining, I heard of still refining like with calvados?

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Guiness is in a class of its own and, whilst an aquired taste, makes a good quaffable drink, it doesn't travel well though, so the further you are from Ireland, the lower the quality.

Agreed Guinness is a fantastic drink. But is it not true that it's brewed in many tens of locations, not just Ireland?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For some lighter beers, try the Wye Valley Brewery, or Otter Brewery. I'm a fan of Dorothy Goodbody (who isn't? :p). Also if you cross the border into Wales, try some Rhymney Bitter. Reverend James is another good pint.

Cider is the British equivalent of wine. Masses of local varieties, depending on the apples used. Some of the very locally produced ciders (and perry, made from pears) are stunning, if often very potent. Welsh cider is different (darker, almost smoky) again.

the really good thing is, you can't possibly cover it all in one trip, so you'll have to come back several more times!

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
For some lighter beers, try the Wye Valley Brewery, or Otter Brewery. I'm a fan of Dorothy Goodbody (who isn't? :p). Also if you cross the border into Wales, try some Rhymney Bitter. Reverend James is another good pint.

Cider is the British equivalent of wine. Masses of local varieties, depending on the apples used. Some of the very locally produced ciders (and perry, made from pears) are stunning, if often very potent. Welsh cider is different (darker, almost smoky) again.

the really good thing is, you can't possibly cover it all in one trip, so you'll have to come back several more times!

Cider only goes up to 8.5% volume ;). Above that it's apple wine and there is a higher tax to pay on that:nono:

I spent a lot of time serving behind the cider bar at CAMRA beers fests and found a LOT of ciders marked 8.4%. Some that we weren't allowed to serve in more that an nip(1/3 pint). My wife found a lovely one(to her tastes) that caused a minor falling over and nose breakage after she had a couple of pints after the bar closed and we got home we reckoned that that one was somewhere in the 13% region.

Cheers

Grebby

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
My advice:

Start of in Cornwall - some lovely quaint pubs, full of character and good ale, better Perry & scrumpy cider - look out for local micro-breweries

Go up the west coast, on the border with Wales, for the same reasons as above.

Nip over into Yorkshire - you'll find some of the best ale in the land here. Come to the Haworth beer festival (Fri 21 − Sun 23 October 2011) over 100 locally brewed ales on offer - it's tough living 5 minutes away from that :)

Stop over in the lakes, the pub in Conniston brews it's own & the scenery is breathtaking :)

Go further up into Scotland, travel on the Settle to Carlisle railway, IMHO the beer is cr@p, but the whiskey... :) Do the the distillery tours & a spot of island hopping.

Come back down the East coast - back into Yorkshire - just because you can :)

Call in to Norfolk/Suffork - Look around the pubs on the Norfolk Broads - the Woodfords Brewery has a pub attached with more ale than you can shake a stick at. You might need said stick to help you walk home though :)

Avoid London completely

Just don't forget to book your place at the Betty Ford clinic before you set off :)

Last edited:

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
If you've found a pub that does decent beers/ales don't be afraid to ask the bar staff for advice.
Tell them your trying various British ales/beers/ciders, don't want stuff you can drink anywhere the world over and intend to have, say 6 half pints, so what would they recommend.

Generally I'd advice starting at the lighter ones and working to the darker ones.

Hoggy

Jan 30, 2010
uk
Mate lives in Hesket Newmarket in north lake district, the Old Crown pub there brews its own beer all named after montains in the lakes. Also it's run as a co-operative so the villagers own the pub and brewery makes it a really friendly place with great beer.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Well, quite frankly, I'm saddened.
Yes, saddened.
The place you should go for ale is Kent - we're home to the country's oldest brewery - Shepheard Neame! And Kent is also the spiritual home of hops.
A pint of Bishop's Finger will put a big smile on your face (try it straight from the keg, if you find it. But falling that, from the pump will do. No ale tastes as good from a bottle or a c*n - that's for lager boys who only want tasteless fizzy!)

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Nip over into Yorkshire - you'll find some of the best ale in the land here. Come to the Haworth beer festival (Fri 21 − Sun 23 October 2011) over 100 locally brewed ales on offer - it's tough living 5 minutes away from that :)
Cropton Brewery certainly gets my vote! Nice pub, nice food, nice countryside, and a brewery out back. Been going to their beer festival since about 1995 :)

QUOTE=durulz;820232]that's for lager boys who only want tasteless fizzy!)[/QUOTE] :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE