Made my first knife [ handle ]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Its abit rougher than some of the crackers shown on here but im quite happy with the shape etc , I used mahogany that was extra from window sills !!!!

I found it abit dodgy to work with tbh and small bits kept getting exposed when filing and drilling and the wood was "hairy" . Its useable i think !! :lmao:

Iv treated it with oil but it needs tidied and cleaned up.

whats your opinions on this first time effort ?

DSCF5564.jpg

DSC05367.jpg

DSC05372.jpg

DSC05373.jpg

DSCF5570.jpg

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Looks fine to me, if it feels comfortable during use you're onto a winner...if you don't like them oneday you can always take them off and have another go so it's all good.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
We all have to start somewhere and my guess is that one day you will look back at these pics and smile. I will shortly be attempting my first knife so who I am to judge? As long as you learn along the way and enjoy the outcome that's what it's all about. I long to reach the stage of a master knifemaker but there are no shortcuts; it's one long learning curve!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
looks good.

it is no worse than some of my efforts - indeed many others.

I would suggest spending a bit more time sanding it though - start rough then work up through the grades and you will have a very nice handle.

Andy

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi at least your having a go i hope my first handle turns out that good regards dave

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
The wood is meranti,i suppose?
You need to sand it a little more.
It looks that it will work,keep on practising!
The second one will be nicer.

Theo

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Better than my first attempt as I recall.

The acid test is simple - if it feels comfy in use and you get no obvious hot spots on your hand when carving or doing other work that involves a controlled force then you did a good job.

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Not a blade I like but you have done well especially as you chose an open grained wood prone to splntering but thats another lesson learned I hope.

ahh I did not know this ! Im not really up to scratch on the woods used but I just went on the looks of it , thanks for that :)

thanks for the comments guys I was getting worried haha , im jooking forward to trying agin and learning form this one :)

milius2, I am going to make my first sheath for this knife aswell :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE