Sophies first fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, i took out my youngest for a wander in the snowy woods on Saturday,and i got her to make her first fire.

I did'nt take any tinder with me so she had to gather some as we went along,being everything had a covering of snow and damp,she had to get under hedges to find dry-ish tinder.

Once we got into the woods she gathered some shedding Birch bark,and collected sticks that were suspended in branches for her fire.
At the spot we chose to have the fire,she broke the sticks into 3 different bundles,matchstck,pencil and thumb thick.

So she wanted to try flint and steel,i gave her a piece of char-cloth,and after a few practice strikes she had a go with the char-cloth.Well she ended up with a few small nicks on her finger from the flint chip,now was the time she began to realize its harder than it looks,so as time was kicking on and i was in need of a brew,i gave her my ferro rod to shower sparks onto the cloth,once she had an ember on the cloth.
sophiesfire3.jpg

I got here to transfer the ember from the cloth onto a piece of Fommes,explaining that the Fommes would burn for a longer time and it would give her a better chance to ignite her damp tinder.
So the Fommes went into the bundle and she started to blow it to life.
sophiesfire.jpg

sophiesfire5.jpg

Well she managed to get flames,so she popped it into the bundle of match thick twigs with some Birch bark.
Then she maintained it all the way until she had a good bed of embers,so now it was time to get the billie on for a brew.
sophiesfire2.jpg

Well she did great for her first time and she said it was the best tasting cuppa shes had.;)

So once finished she cleared the site and we headed home.
I will make a shrafter out of her yet :D

Anyway thanks for looking.
Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Brilliant!!!

this is so great to see Stuart,..looks like a grand drop of fire she got going there,...

thanks for sharing,..

Cheers

Stu

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Its looks like shes getting the knack of it :)

Cheers Russ

Ahh is that still my wee billy your using ?

Last edited:

Karl2353

Jan 8, 2011
Cumbria
Great stuff Stuart, well done Sophie. Its always that bit more satisfying to succeed in the snow.
Fommes? Is that the fungus found on dead birch?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,Sophie says many thanks for the comments and words of encouragement.
She'll be a pyro-maniac in no time :rolleyes:

Its looks like shes getting the knack of it :)

Cheers Russ

Ahh is that still my wee billy your using ?

Hi Russ,aye its the very same,grand it is to for a wee brew up.
Mind you its a wee bit blackier than when you gave me it.;)

What's Fomes if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Chris,heres a link on Fomes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomes_fomentarius

Hope this helps.
Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE