A day in the bush , what do you take ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Paul Kirtley has a great article on the basics. I pretty much carry the same for a days bimbling, but in a small shoulder bag. Apart from food, I also carry a whitebox style stove, a small bottle of meths, a collapsable snake hook and a monocular. For anything more than a bimble, I carry a ruck with two nato bottles, swiss army mess kit, laplander saw, bigger FAK, my ti mug which fits in the mess kit and three swiss army kuksas stored inside each other just in case I meet some like minded people and can then offer them a brew. If it looks like rain, I'll add a light goretex jacket and a tarp. Sometimes I'll swap the swiss mess kit for a bush buddy and ti pot if it is dry.

Here's PKs article.... http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2010/essential-wilderness-equipment/

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
as mentioned, depends on time of year, how long do you expect to be out, but as I live 10 mins from Cannock chase I always take my dog there with me, water , brew kit, tarp, knife, laplander, and simple fak, spare warm top , binos, phone and compass with map( the latter for helping people getting back to thier cars, its a massive place and they just wander out with sweet fa with them) nuts, imo. good boots , head torch is a given must,

nenook

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
The only thing missing from the various comprehensive lists of kits that I'd add is a few paper bags. The sort with handles from your favourite burger vendor. I always carry a few for collecting berries etc.

Al

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
one day?

Bag contains:

FAK.
Lunch
1-2ltrs of water
Coat

Pockets:
Wallet
Phone
Keys
Pen knife

If it is just a walk I'm going on then it may be just pockets.

All the best
Andy

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
First aid kit. Knife. Camo bag (to sit on), firestarting kit, sausage + mustard, brew kit.

The rest depends on what im going there for. so could add an axe, bags for collecting stuff like shrooms, birch bark etc..

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
This has turned into a grat thread and gives newbies like me a real insight to other peoples experiences .

What I was concerned about was carry unessesary items and basically weighing myself down with equipment "i might" no ned or then again "might need!"

reading this thread has opened my eyes to being prepaired !

great article jonathan =http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2010/essential-wilderness-equipment/

thanks guys

k

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not sure what "the bush" is in Scotland. I thought it was Australian. Are you going for a walk in the woods?

I sometimes wonder about that, I have no doubt there are plenty hostile places in the UK but I still can't call it "Bush" with a straight face.

Not when its often reasonably hard to find somewhere where that's more than 10 miles away from a house or road.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Wab-camp.jpg
[/IMG]
:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:
only joking :joke: best wishes to all for 2011 Danny

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
On an autumn or spring day walk and I'd take a Thermos of tea, fruit, cake and sandwiches for lunch, radio and headphones so I can listen to radio 4. No point in burning perfectly good wood for a cuppa.

Summer would be half bottle of wine, cheese, good quality cooked meat/salami, crackers, pate, fruit (radio of course), tub of diced celary/toms/cucumber and small bottle of salad dressing.

Winter is different, I would take a stove to heat something like a home made stew or curry or perhaps take the food hot in a .75 liter Thermax and make a fresh brew to the rewarding purr of a paraffin stove.

I always carry some sort of knife and FAK although my phone now acts as radio/camera/MP3/video gizmo. Gortex jacket and trousers keep me dry and the lot is carried in something like this

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0743886/Trail/searchtext>RUCKSACK.htm which also provides a stool.

PS, worth taking a newspaper, something to read, light fires if needed and wipe your botty.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
If you're worried about taking too much, limit the amount of stuff you can take by restricting the size of your bag. Or decide to stick to pockets/waist pouch only.

That's what I have to do. If I carried a 35L daysack, I'd be tempted to fill it - just in case!
:rolleyes:

Jun 12, 2010
australia
lot of talk about 'the bush' or 'bushcraft', the british countryside i suspect is a much friendlier place!

oh it is trust me. we have about 9 of the worlds most poisonous snakes, god knows how many poisonous spiders and scorpions and that's just to star off. but in all my time in cubs, scouts and hiking, having a nosy around i have seen 2 sleeping snakes and had a brown snake (poisonous) slither just 2 cm from the front of my boot and my friend scream hysterically and jump up and down whilst i stood dead still like you are meant to. loads of red backs (poisonous) and hunsmens (non poisonous), and a goanna. that's all the 'bad' things Ive see from years in the bush. oh and i was one bitten by a hunsmen. but all said its still a nice place

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE