A day in the bush , what do you take ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Hi guys since joining the forum I have read loads of great posts on equipment and skills which I have noted for going on trips and overnighters .

But what does your kit/items consist of for a day in the bush ?

I could take loads but im not sure if thats just excess

binoculars , hobo , camera , knife , folding saw are things I have taken in the past .

any additions ?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

But what does your kit/items consist of for a day in the bush ?

binoculars , hobo , camera , knife , folding saw are things I have taken in the past .

any additions ?

I would suggest if you take your Knife you need your F-A-K aswell, not major trauma sized kit , just 'enough'

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
first aid kit ( always) compass , map, and Gps if I have never been there or If it could blizzard ( very tough to find your way out if you cannot see ! ) food ( lots )

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
What you take depends entirely on what you intend on doing.
If I'm just going for a walk, all I'll take is a brew kit. And maybe a pair of binoculars and some spotting guides if I'm feeling that way inclined.
If I fancy just finding somewhere to sit and while away a couple of hours then the brew kit comes along (always), plus whatever is appropriate to what I'm doing.
If the weather looks ropey then I'll add some kind of shelter - a poncho or tarp.
And so on.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
When I go out I have a standard kit with me, which I consider essential;
A knife,
food and water for 24 hrs,
a poncho or tarp to keep me dry and out of the wind,
first aid kit,
cell phone,
kit to prepare hot food or drink (lighter, SAT or hex-burner)

What else I bring depends on where I am going, what I am planning to do and what I feel like bringing.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I take a small satchel (actually a Maxpedition jumbo fatboy) with a few odds and ends.
Firesteel,
Tinder tub (cotton wool/vasaline)
pocket stove
Ti Mug
FAK
secateurs
folding saw
brew kit
paracord
poncho
etc

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Similar to others. Depends on the time of year as well. As well as the common items (brew kit, knife, fak, etc) I pack my hammock (;)), a notepad and pencil, a pocket book on trees and a pocket book on clouds.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I think the key to having the right is linked to the the reason you are going out plus the prevailing conditions. A cell phone can be a lifesaver as well as a handy 'luxury' plus it is one of those always on my person things. A knife & FAK go together. I might not take a bushcraft-knife but always carry a swiss army knife. I almost always have a few meters of paracord in my pocket as I enjoy practicing knot tying and it is a handy thing to have. Add some water in a strong bottle. I may add brewkit (for me that includes SS crusader-mug + Honeystove + fireflash in woodland or a Titanium MSR 'kettle', 100cl gas cart & Optimus Crux stove if I'm in the hills) if I expect to be out for more than a few hours and if the weather is cold. My daybag contains some extras like a few snacks and a blisterkit (nothing like a blister to spoil a day out) but I may not have my daybag every time I'm out. I take navigation aids if I don't know exactly where I am (map & compass). I often take binoculars & field guides and a camera, but not always. I dress to suit the season and terrain. I take a survival bag if I'm in wild country and make sure I also have a whistle. My FAK includes an LED torch. These basics make time outdoors safe & plesant which I think is the main point. I add other kit depending on my mood or depending on why I'm going out.

Woz888

Aug 17, 2010
Downunder
An interesting thread, and a concept that has been niggling at the back of my mind for some time. I spent a little time today aggregating everyone's thoughts, plus a few of my own, and came up with the following.

SHELTER
emergency blanket/s AND/OR
emergency bivi AND/OR
poncho/tarp
paracord

FIRE
firesteel/Waterproof-matches or similar
tinder (cotton-wool-vasaline, shredded-whatever, ...)
pocket stove (?)

TOOLS
knife/s (folder and fixed?)
folding saw or Leuko/large-kinfe (?)
torch
secateurs (?)

SUSTENCANCE
food (24 hours?)
water (24 hours?)
water purification items (?)
mug/cooking utensil
fork/spoon (?)

map
GPS (?)
binoculars (?)

RECORD KEEPING/MESSAGING
camera
notepad and pencil

HEALTH
first aid kit

COMMUNICATION
mobile (cell) phone
signal mirror
whistle

CLOTHING
appropriate clothing
extra layer incase caught out overnight.

ADDITIONAL
fishing kit
sewing kit

Of course, what one takes out of the above would depend on location/terrain/weather and so on, but one could make up some pretty good basics for various situations.

I am also liking the idea, can't remember where I picked it up, of spreading the kit over a number of locations rather than having it all in one bag so you don't lose the whole lot if you lose that bag.

A neck pouch with the ultra basics sounds like a good idea.

Woz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE