Mears new series.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Womble said:
It looked like a strong magnetic clip to me - a keyring type thing?

The keyreings look like a spark plug. You press the top, and it releases a plunger inside, causung 2 ball bearings to release from a groove allowing the 2 halfs to come apart. I havent seen them in ages though.

I was looking at the rescue knife Ray had on his BA, I'm not sure it was a mora though.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Last nights was a great show, far more akin to the type of stuff he used to do on Tracks. I wish they’d release all those snippets on a DVD.

Has any one else noticed, but Ray seems to of given up using a neck sheath in his recent programmes, and carries his knife belt mounted. I always thought he was against wearing a knife on your belt as you are far more aware were the knife is if it is around your neck/shoulder.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
one thing: when Ray was doing the friction firelighting sequence, was there a bit of a clumsy edit? He seemed to be in the middle of a sentence as he started talking about putting the ball of kindling into the birchbark.

Gail

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2005
Surrey
I was gripped !

But, felt my heart go out to the other guy with his friction shananigans - that's me that is !!!!

Liked the comment about the s club 7 re-mix Womble ?! :D

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Gail said:
I was gripped !

Liked the comment about the s club 7 re-mix Womble ?! :D

you just wait until his next series:

Ray Mears' World of Extreme Sports - where Ray demonstrates how to make cordage, bush shelters and bannocks whilst performing really def moves on a skatebaord - to the sound of some huge choons...

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Stuart said:
missed it :(

Hope you've learnt your lesson ;) :D ;)

Celtic Dragon said:
I was looking at the rescue knife Ray had on his BA, I'm not sure it was a mora though.

Just had a look ... again ... :D (got it on tape :p ) Looks very much like a Mora / Frost thingie, but have to admit it's bearly visible - and that safety knife is, in our (this) case ... , not an issue of life and death.

Looking forward to next week :D :cool:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Celtic Dragon said:
The keyreings look like a spark plug. You press the top, and it releases a plunger inside, causung 2 ball bearings to release from a groove allowing the 2 halfs to come apart. I havent seen them in ages though.

I think it was one of these.

Key-mate

Good and simple idea really.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Only just caught up with this week's episode (my lad video'd it for me) and was well impressed......I don't suppose I'm ever likely to experience a canoe trip like that and from an armchair perspective it was fantastic. The programme also got right to the heart of skills to which we all aspire. Whatever criticism some earlier episodes received, this one was right up there (IMO) with Belaraus, The Rockies and one or two more. Hope it continues in this vein.

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
This episode for me was a pure pleasure to watch - perfect location, topics, skills, company and to top it all based around a canoeing theme. Some of the philosophical points/asides were exactly spot on with elements of my thinking - a truly inspirational episode.

Elliott

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
One of the best programmes he's done - I felt every moment of the bow drilling, the frustrations and the joy of finally succeeding.

Brilliant to see the skills of the white water paddlers in use - how cool was the surfing of the wave :D

We've been talking for some while about what the missus and I are going to do for our Silver wedding bash in a couple of years - The Canoe Museum in Ontario plus some paddling is now starting to look favourite - If only they could get rid of the mozzies (they just love my exposed bits, but at least it means they eat me and not SWMBO ;)

Now, where was that bit of cedar and my axe.......

Graham

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Just a quick reminder for all those people north of the border ........ Mr Mears new series starts tonight on Scottish TV ....... 8pm BBC 2. :)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Hmmm, bannock (again) bowdrill (again) Baker tent (again).
The canoe bloke was very impressive and I did enjoy the paddle making.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Snufkin said:
Hmmm, bannock (again) bowdrill (again) Baker tent (again).
The canoe bloke was very impressive and I did enjoy the paddle making.

or to put it another way...

"Hmmm, bannock (which I know about, but 99.9% of the audiance probably don't) bowdrill (which I know about and use, but 99.9% of the audiance probably don't) Baker tent (which I've seen before, but, but 99.9% of the audiance probably haven't)"! :D

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Womble said:
or to put it another way...

"Hmmm, bannock (which I know about, but 99.9% of the audiance probably don't) bowdrill (which I know about and use, but 99.9% of the audiance probably don't) Baker tent (which I've seen before, but, but 99.9% of the audiance probably haven't)"! :D
They'd know about it if they'd watched any of his other series.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
How much can he do that hasn't already been seen? If it was all new stuff, he'd maybe only get half the programmes in the series, and probably not do another. I don't mind a bit of revision, in fact, I just wouldn't mind seeing the new series.

Come on postie, bring me my DVD, I'm dying to see the first programmes from Bushcraft!! (Now I have to wait till the next DVD comes out to see the birchbark canoe, then I'll understand some of the threads here!!)

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
spamel said:
How much can he do that hasn't already been seen? If it was all new stuff, he'd maybe only get half the programmes in the series, and probably not do another. I don't mind a bit of revision, in fact, I just wouldn't mind seeing the new series.

Come on postie, bring me my DVD, I'm dying to see the first programmes from Bushcraft!! (Now I have to wait till the next DVD comes out to see the birchbark canoe, then I'll understand some of the threads here!!)
Revision is fine, I agree but perhaps if he'd approached it from a different angle maybe if he showed the guy how to make a bowdrill kit, with natural cordage? He could have cooked the bread spiralled on a green stick? OK maybe it's just being different for different's sake but for non bushcrafters or those just getting interested it's good to see varied techniques.

hootchi

Settler
This is what is on next week. Looks good. :cool:
Ray Mears' Bushcraft
Thu 12 May, 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm 60mins

Sweden

Sweden is the land where the ancient skills of bushcraft are alive and well and in daily use. They refer to nature as 'The Nature' and a good knowledge of the outdoors is commonplace.

Ray creates a meal of berries and fish for good friend Lars Falt, and sees how pine tar is produced and uses it for the traditional skis that are made for him.

In the north Ray spends time with the Sami in sub zero temperatures, learning about their folklore and undertaking a journey by dog sled through this magical landscape where every fall of snow seems to bring the chance of a new start.
BBC 2 listings

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE