fiddling with my honey... stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Dr.Gonzo

I've been using one of these recently and i'm curious on other peoples experience with them...

397_E.jpg

I'll start with the good points..
It packs down flat, It's fairly light, once put together it's design allows for good air flow to feed the flames..

Now, the major bad point I've found with it is...
Putting the bas**rd together!! It's so fiddly and frustrating as hell when you've got cold hands and it's getting dark, i really can't be arsed to make sure all 20+ slots are alligned until 'crap!' it's come undone!...:togo:

I bought the Hive expansion with it and if you're happy lugging around twice the weight, that's fine, but all those sheets of steel certainly add up..

So £30+ later and i'm re-thinking my options..

Ok, i'm done ranting.. phew!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
The price is not bad when you think of the design and original work that went in to it. But a stove should be able to be put together while your wearing mittens, and should work in different configurements if pieces go missing. i Designed one that does just that, at the moment its a little bit heavier than i would like, but due to domestic issues i've not been able to give it the time needed to improve it.

Rob

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I've literally just bought one of these off Beachlover and i'm quite looking forward to using it. also with the hive expansion which i reckon for slightly shorter trips it'll make a nice bbq setup for cooking some of the heavier and tastier food you pack on days out :D
i like that its multi fuel, i've come from primarily using Military Trangs (borrowed my sisters civ one a while back and that was good too) so pure meths cooking. but i like using fire to cook and recently i built a hobo stove.
its fun but i can't get one big enough for a 12cm billy and the 10cm is just damned small...

either way the standard honey & 12cm zeb is WAY lighter then my mil trang even with the meths burner included! so that can't be bad.
Pete

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've not really had any problems with mine, I tend to assemble three sides with the two plates slotted in, hold that in one hand and then just slide on the last three side pieces.

I like the Honey though, it's not the most efficient wood burner out there but the packability a versatility make it worth carrying for me. Add and Trangia or tatonka burner and you've got a rig for all eventualities.

DV...

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2010
East of England
It gets easier with practise :) Also add a kiwi boot polish lid, it fits the trangia hole and if used in the middle slot is great for hexi and if used in the upper slot works with greensnot. Truly a multi fuel stove...

D

Dr.Gonzo

All good points, especially the Kiwi boot polish tin! Nice one DV.
I'll agree on it being a good multi fuel burner, which is one of the main reasons i narrowed my choices to buying it, but there's a part of me that clings to simple designs as being the best designs at the end of the day.. having to devise techniques of putting kit together can get frustrating. On my camp with Wolfcrafter last week, halfway through putting it together, my exact words were 'i'll be selling this!'.... (and i wasn't even wearing mittens lol)

I'll give shewie's idea a try..
Does anyone know of similar designs out there??

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i once made the mistake of pouring water over the embers inside to put out my small fire not realising the plates would instantly bend out of shape and warp! after half an hour bending plates back roughly it still works perfectly :D lesson learned...

got my eyes on that expansion kit. looks fab.

D

Dr.Gonzo

Mine warped after cooling down even without water.. really thinking about selling it at this point.... but gotta find an alternative...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mine warped after cooling down even without water.. really thinking about selling it at this point.... but gotta find an alternative...

Have you seen the Vargo titanium stove ....

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product497.asp?PageID=118

Chris Randall makes some lovely ones too ..

http://www.canoepaddler.me.uk/Products.php

Have you thought about having a go at one yourself ? Google nimblewell stoves and you should get plenty of ideas. Stainless is fairly cheap to pick up too, I got a 500x500mm sheet of 0.9mm for just under £18 from metalsupermarket not so long ago.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Until now the only negative comment I'd heard was that the Honey stove tends to burn wood a bit too fast. Yesterday I put in an offer for a Honey (stove:)) which, as it turned out, had already been sold. Now I'm starting to wonder if I've had better luck there than I'd thought...

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Not had any problems fitting mine together, I love it! I remember someone on here did a test where they wore big mitts to try and simulate cold/numb hands and they managed to put it together without much difficulty.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I've had no problems assembling it (although haven't had to do so wearing mittens!). I like its versitility and its small pack size. I'll probably add a burner as an extra option although I prefer wood burning if I get the chance. I also had a bit of warping after a long burn but the plates knock back into shape OK.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Until now the only negative comment I'd heard was that the Honey stove tends to burn wood a bit too fast.

It does get through fuel quick Ged but half the problem is the fact that you can only get so much in to start with, after that's away it requires constant tending to keep it going. Not a bad thing though as we're all happy to do that anyway :) The fact that it's a small light package is also it's downfall, a bit like those nasty folding pocket stoves that did the rounds a few years ago. I've not tried the Hive extension yet but maybe that helps to get more fuel in for a longer burn ? Like I said though I do like mine and it gets plenty of use, but now I've got a Bushcooker I think it's days are numbered :)

D

Dr.Gonzo

The Ti burners are a lovely item, waiting to hear from Wolfcrafter how his one works out.
Looks like i better get the tin snips out, Nimblewill design looks a winner.. might modify it more like the canoepaddler one
yukonanddutchoven.jpg

Thanks for the links Shewie! much appreciated!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This is my Ti Yukon on it's first ever outing to Loch Sheil...

LSHIEL_JUN_16.jpg

The loose poles on the top can very a bit annoying sometimes but I've got an idea or two to improve them at some point.

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
I love ma honey stove , but i have to agree it's a fiddley cu-- to set up ... i would like to get a hold of a bushbuddy ...

D

Dr.Gonzo

By the time i've usually assembled the thing, i turn around and find everyone else lying in their hammocks wondering what the hell i've been doing for the past 15 minutes...
I love ma honey stove , but i have to agree it's a fiddley cu-- to set up ... i would like to get a hold of a bushbuddy ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE