tarping at campsites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
I camp at campsites alot and must confess i have never seen anyone using a tarp / bivi at a campsite is it allowed or is it that people who tarp only really wild camp. The reason i ask is that one day (when the pesky kids and wife allow me) i would like to do some long distance walks such as the anglesey coastal path and others and whilst most nights i plan to wild camp there will be the odd night i want a shower and some amenities. I would like to do this with a tarp bivi set up i guess camp security may be an issue but has anyone done this or would it be best to resort to my wee tent?

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Personally I wouldn't be tarping or bivvying at a campsite. It's simply too easy for people to wander of with your stuff unseen, and it provides very little privacy.

Besides that, I like my tent(s).

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I have only used a tarp at a campsite as a cooking shelter, mainly for the privacy/security reasons stated above. However I don't think any organised site would stop you tarping unless you were, er, flashing too much :)

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
aye thats what i thought guess it will have to be the banshee then just would have been nice for clifftop / beach camps to have the tarp but too much gear to take both options

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
I've used my bivi and tarp a lot abroad on summer motorbike trips. My mate takes a tent so there is somewhere to put things away from prying eyes, not that would have a been a problem to be honest. I've set up bewteen the bikes, against fences etc and it does get odd looks from people, especially if it's a regular holiday type site with camper vans. They think you're mad and also there's no privacy when you're getting up on a morning and want to get dressed. On smaller, basic sites (usually the best ones anyway) they are usually frequented by walkers who wouldn't blink an eye at a tarp and bivi. I've even camped at a huge campsite at Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe full of huge overland trucks with just by bivi bag.

Since you are planning to wild camp mostly, take your tarp set up and if you have to go on an organised site just keep anything valuable on you when you go to the shop/shower etc.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've used my tarp at a number of campsites, and in the top of the season when they've been crowded at times too. Never had any probs with stuff disappearing. If you're using a biggish tarp, say 3m x 3m or bigger, you can rig it so it is effectively a tent with the privacy that a tent offers.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I have had the same dilemma
When I reflect though when doing longer walks on established paths I always take a tent but even a Gelert Solo attracts attention and comments on a big campsite.As if I dint know it was small lol
I like your idea of a B&B stop or try camping barns I have never used one but have seen plenty in various locations and they look good and are cheap with very good facilities
I have camped on Fernhill farm in the Mendips and they let me use the camping barn facilities as i usually go in winter The facilities are to say the least luxurious

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I've tarped it at a camp site, i was out of the way right at the back (they picked a good spot for me) and i never got bothered. they looked at me odd tho when i said i didn't have a tent :D
some of the staff came over to see what i'd done and i think they were reasonably impressed, i only threw up a one sided A frame mind.

bonus of camp sites? brick and mortar toilets, showers and when i stayed over a fish and chip van!!!
Pete

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
i suppose another choice could be a B&B every third or fourth night ill have to mull it over

Yes, that's what I did a couple of years back. I spent a couple of weeks in Dorset/Somerset area and mostly wild camped in local woods. But, as you say, every third or fourth night I stayed in a B&B (or on a campsite) so I could wash laundry in the handbasin (classy) and have a good shower and clean.

It may be worth checking on UK Campsites website for some of the 'wilder' campsites that allow fires and have a bit of woodland for camping in - best of both worlds, rather than 'Camping and Caravanning Club' sites which, though clean and having good facilities, are a little...sterile.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
A good alternative might be to take just the outer part of a two man tent?

I've done this on lots of long distance walks, using my walking poles as the tent uprights and sleeping in my bivvi bag underneath. Gives you good protection and privacy yet very lightweight.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
did the west highland way and straight on to the great glen way this year, had to use a commercial camp site a couple of times.

i had my true north little tarp with me, first occassion i got in camp site late and basically created a lean too off a existing ranch style fence in the camp site with no problems, second time i used my walking poles and created a pyrimid type tent with the open front facing a field for privacy. no problems either time.

If you are covering a lot of miles in a day anyway, chances are you might be getting into the campsite late anyway and most people just want to go about their own business and leave you well alone anyway - could be to do with that unique smell us walkers generate, au do stinky parfume!!!

So just go for it, it forces you to use different set ups with the tarp, rather than a simple a frame from 2 trees.

Colin

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Actually that does seem to work, pitch the open face if any toward a field or wood at least on a boundary fence, it not only gives you something to tie on to but gives you more privacy.

incidentally i found out that the area i pitched in was in fact their thistle growing plot, as it was early spring it was down in the grass and not yet sprouting above but still damn prickly!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
some good responses cheers peops i may well take the banshee as it packs light (2kg) and small pack size although i have had people set up right next to me and coming close to standing on it as its low to the ground lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE