Who's waiting for a Pipedream ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I received my pipedream a little while ago. First night out, and I melted a hole in it. It is now resewn with some black ripstop from one of their stuff bags, lol.
Before I could get out and melt a hole in it, I had to remove labels, cut open the seams where the pull strings were and replace them with leather string. As Alpkit said, it was pretty straight-forward given the way it was sewn.
I'm happy as happy can be. On one hand, I'm amazed that it takes up so little space, and at the same time I'm equally amazed that it fluffs up so much that one actually has to compress it a little bit to get it in into that cotton storage bag. It's a really, really nice bag, and the blokes behind it are so nice :)

Last edited:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
whats that white stuff all around you looks like sugar................lol......

You have me there Sir! No snow around here, just 10+ inches of sugar... cost a fortune to set up that shot.. :D

I received my pipedream a little while ago. First night out, and I melted a hole in it. It is now resewn with some black ripstop from one of their stuff bags, lol.
Before I could get out and melt a hole in it, I had to remove labels, cut open the seams where the pull strings were and replace them with leather string. As Alpkit said, it was pretty straight-forward given the way it was sewn.
I'm happy as happy can be. On one hand, I'm amazed that it takes up so little space, and at the same time I'm equally amazed that it fluffs up so much that one actually has to compress it a little bit to get it in into that cotton storage bag. It's a really, really nice bag, and the blokes behind it are so nice :)

I too am quite chuffed at the weight to size thingy. Although I do have one question.. anyone know what the really small bag is for? You get the compression sack and the storage bag and a really small black sack... no idea what it's for..

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I to am quite chuffed at the weight to size thingy. Although I do have one question.. anyone know what the really small bag is for? You get the compression sack and the storage bag and a really small back sack... no idea what it's for..

I was told I could actually fit my 600 into that little bag, I took one look at it and just laughed. Apparently it is a lightweight stuff sack for the bag but I've never tried to cram mine in.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I was told I could actually fit my 600 into that little bag, I took one look at it and just laughed. Apparently it is a lightweight stuff sack for the bag but I've never tried to cram mine in.

Cheers Rich, That's what I thought it might be, SWMBI and I had a brief attempt at trying to get a 800 into it... :lmao: gave up very quickly. Will maybe ask Alpkit to demonstrate it being used on the site.. :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers Rich, That's what I thought it might be, SWMBI and I had a brief attempt at trying to get a 800 into it... :lmao: gave up very quickly. Will maybe ask Alpkit to demonstrate it being used on the site.. :D

Let me know what they say mate, I'm gonna try with the 400 when that turns up :)

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Yeah, I also took one look at that small bag and figured it was for the lightweighters but that I would struggle to put the bag into it.

I don't even use the compression bag but chose to buy a 13L lightweight drybag from them instead. It rolls down to make a smaller volume than that, but because it's not compressed too much it's not a hard packagage and I think it's a bit better for the bag as such. It also "fluffs" faster when pulled out.
With the drybag I can get a slightly different shape to it, and that helps me when packing as my downmat 9 DLX is a big and hard package to fit.

Last edited:

Linden

Dec 1, 2009
Hampshire
My 400 fits in the tiny bag, I've only used the compression bag a couple of times. its easier than trying to get a cheap bag back in its own bag, but can imagine getting the 600 or 800 in would be near impossible!

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I decided to go for the Pipedream 600 in the end (rather than Skyehigh 800). It's a very nice bag, my first experience of a down sleeping bag, it's much nicer than synthetic ones! Technically it's a Christmas present, so I won't be using it until January time. I really look forward to it though :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I decided to go for the Pipedream 600 in the end (rather than Skyehigh 800). It's a very nice bag, my first experience of a down sleeping bag, it's much nicer than synthetic ones! Technically it's a Christmas present, so I won't be using it until January time. I really look forward to it though :)

You won't regret it, the 600 is a cracking bag

My 400 still ain't turned up yet though :( Apparently UKMail carded our house twice but they just plain lied. Spoke to Nick at Alpkit a few times last week and another is on the way, hopefully.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll

My 400 still ain't turned up yet though :( Apparently UKMail carded our house twice but they just plain lied. Spoke to Nick at Alpkit a few times last week and another is on the way, hopefully.

That sucks, Rich. Thankfully the Alpteam folks have Customer Service on the brain. I'm just waiting on the operchancity to play with the PD800 in interesting conditions.. :) Luckily there are a few locations that are remote enough, but not too remote.. :D

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire

That's pretty annoying. Not too sure how good UKMail are to be honest, the delivery guy rang me up to ask me where my house was... Bearing in mind I live on a highstreet with numbered houses, can't be that difficult. Still, he sounded like a nice bloke.

SBreen

Nov 23, 2009
Prague - CZ
I've got a PD400 and a PD800 with the 400 I can fit my Under quilt and bivvy bag in the compression sack at the same time. Not tried with the 800 yet but I'm thinking it'll work. Going to give the 800 a really good test soon we're off for a couple of days hammocking in Jan should be about -10 during the day...

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I use a silk liner from backpackinglight.co.uk, and I also have a thin wool blanket I often use as a bed spread on top of my 9cm downmat. I guess I could use it inside the sleeping bag in a pinch.
What's nice about the wool is that if I move about, it's still warm were I place my feet and knees, if that makes sense. Other than that I use the blanket as a throw and to protect the bag and downmat from wayward sparks.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Just thought you guys might be interested to see that it is perfectly possible to stuff a PD600 into the small stuff sack they give you. It really wasn't hard to do, but it is packed in as tight as you you stuff it, definitely doesn't seem like it would do the sleeping bag much good for extended periods:

5297732605_355fc79710.jpg

heres the larger stuff sack for comparison:

5298327968_05e167aab1.jpg

Doesn't really save a huge amount of space to be honest, but I suppose it's worth doing if you are only taking a 35 litre bag or are a super lightweighter

law4dkr

Jan 2, 2011
Herts/Notts
I've got a SH600 for spring to autumn usage but lately I've been tempted by either a SH800 or a PD600. Can anyone tell me which is best (obviously the SH is cheaper, which is a bonus).

I agree with what was said on here, Alpkit's customer service is excellent, and I love the fact that I save money just for being short lol.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
I've got a SH600 for spring to autumn usage but lately I've been tempted by either a SH800 or a PD600. Can anyone tell me which is best (obviously the SH is cheaper, which is a bonus).

I agree with what was said on here, Alpkit's customer service is excellent, and I love the fact that I save money just for being short lol.

Well, PD600 is 950g , when compressed is 23 x 21cm (size depending) and is good down to -10. SH800 is 1415g, when compressed is 25 x 27cm (size depending) and is also good to -10. I guess which one suits your needs most? If you're backpacking the PD600 is probably worth the extra £

law4dkr

Jan 2, 2011
Herts/Notts
It would be for backpacking yep. This should be interesting then as I'd obviously prefer the lighter bag, but it was hard enough justifying 85 quid for a sleeping bag to my OH, nevermind 150!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE