Personal Statement

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
can't get the teacher to check this till friday and I wanted to get it sent off fairly soon so what do people think to this? any changes you'd suggest?

thanks

Personal Statement:

Everything you look at in your life, every structure, every product, every town, has been designed by somebody. Design is something that is part of every day life; every aspect has come from someone’s imagination. I believe that you have to be both imaginative and creative when it comes to studying within this industry.

From a young age I have always been captivated by creative subjects. I find it very exciting and feel a great sense of pride when my ideas come together to form a finished design, be that on paper or a 3D prototype.

In high school I enjoyed art and design but I lacked confidence in it; however that all changed when I began studying Design at GCSE and attained the highest grade in my class for our first project. This greatly boosted my confidence and made me enjoy the subject even further. I feel confidence is vital within design especially when it comes to trying new things and presenting your ideas to others. Because I really enjoy Design, I find I am more enthusiastic and eager to learn. I believe that this allows me to excel within the subject. As a result of my new found confidence, I was successful in achieving the highest grade for Product Design in our year at the end of GCSE.

I have really enjoyed studying A-level Product Design, particularly the different design styles and movements and then trying to take influence from these when designing my final product. I have also enjoyed developing my drawing skills as I find this relaxing and therapeutic. Gaining a further insight into the Industrial aspects of design such as sustainability, aesthetics, and symbolic value has helped broaden my mind on the world of Design. Having only briefly looked at CAD design I have found it both challenging and enjoyable, I really like the possibilities that the software provides. Meaning we can produce more detailed work, to a higher standard than if we were to make it all by hand. Also in a world where technology is becoming much more prominent I feel gaining greater experience in a field like this will have many advantages.

As my interest for design grew, I began to see the world in a different light, I started to question how and why things were made in a certain way, suddenly everyday objects seemed to project meaning and provide a greater understanding in how the world is shaped. I began to notice the differences between products that were designed purely for aesthetical purposes and products that were designed to be functional. I believe finding a suitable balance between the two is crucial especially in today’s consumer world.

I am very excited at the idea of learning new techniques at university, I am aware that the techniques touched upon in my GCSE and A-level studies were only basic and I look forward to exploring these in much greater detail.

When I was 11 I moved from Scotland with my family to live in the Midlands. The shift from different schools at such a crucial stage in my adolescence was initially difficult however I am glad that it happened. I feel that consequently I am better prepared for University life; I learnt to mature both academically and personally, to be self disciplined and to study independently. I also learnt to integrate, and to form a new circle of friends quickly. I feel that these skills are easily transferable to University and because of this I would adjust easily. University relies heavily upon independent study and motivation, things I have exhibited since starting my GCSE and A-Level studies.

When I’m not studying, I occupy myself by experimenting with both video, 3D design and photo editing programmes; these can be very useful not only in design but my other subjects as well. I am also a self taught guitarist playing at a very competent level showing that I am committed and can easily work independently.

I am an active member of the college, I am vice chairman of our schools student council; I feel this demonstrates reliability and good organisational skills. I have also helped in a number of open evenings, be that as an ambassador, showing parents and students around the school, representing the design department and showing off my work or just simply being there to help and answer questions.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Reads well to me. The only change I'd make is slight - change the paragraph that starts: "As my interest for design grew", into the present tense. It reads better that way IMHO.

Good luck.

Phil

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Everything < MANMADE > you look at in your life, every structure, every product, every town, has been designed by somebody.

Am I being pedantic?

But apart from that its good , you could draw upon the natural design in nature I guess.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
What if you changed the opening para around a bit?

Design is something that is part of every day life; every aspect has come from someone&#8217;s imagination. Every structure, product and town has been designed by somebody; in the future I want that somebody to be me. I believe that I have both the imagination and creativity when it comes to studying within this industry and relish the chance of expanding my knowledge of Product Design with you.

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Hey, I did one of these last year and spent weeks on it, absolute nightmare!
One thing I'd say - I had this drilled into me at school - and it might seem a bit harsh, is scrap the entire paragraph about you moving schools when you were 11: universities don't care whether or not you'll be able to make friends, they care about whether or not you're a good candidate for the subject. Better to fill it with something about the subject, like elements of your A Levels that you've found particularly interesting, or elements of the uni course you particularly want to study. Or maybe some work experience that might apply..
Just a thought :) As for my credibility, I got 5 offers..

Edit - also just a nitpicky thing: you say 'from a young age I have always been captivated by..' - you should take out the 'always' here. You've either 'always' been captivated by something or you've be capitivated 'from a young age' - you can't be both. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE