*sigh* Which axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
No, no, I think very highly of saws. I like saws and they are really safe compared to axes. My frame saw is pretty good, actually and I like it.

This is the one I have:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/quick_buck_saw.html

My apologies ...and thanks for the link. I have looked at folding bow saws, but always dismissed them as they dont tend to use standard blades, but that one does. I like it. I might have to invest. :D

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Good question Martyn. Truth is very little we do is "by choice" we just do what our parents generation did and try to improve it a bit if we can. Major turn arounds like changing from axes to saws are rare. Having said that it is easy in our disposable society to praise the saw. If I get 5 years occasional use out of a silky I would be happy. The folk woodworking in Novgorod were cutting serious volume and forging and maintaining their own. Not many folk these days can sharpen a saw I expect there are only a few dozen smiths in Japan that forge them. I don't think it is about quantity of steel. It takes more carbon steel to make a good axe than to make a good saw.

Possibly, but tools like axes tend to have a very long life, heirloom items in fact. As you say, saws, not so much. I guess I'm just questioning whether their use of axes was because they felt they were the best tool, or whether there were cultural or technological pressures? I dont doubt what can be achieved with an axe, but in the context of wild camping, where the choice of tools is limited by what you can carry, a saw is a much faster and far more energy efficient way of making logs fall in half. Chopping logs, especially with "little" tools, is extremely hard work. The thought of chopping 20 foot of 8" or even 6" dia deadfall into 12" logs with and SFA or similar, gives me arrhythmias thinking about it, but with a bow-saw or big silky zubat, not a problem.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
My apologies ...and thanks for the link. I have looked at folding bow saws, but always dismissed them as they dont tend to use standard blades, but that one does. I like it. I might have to invest. :D

No problem :)

The standard blades was very high on my "want" list because I llive in Denmark, and purchasing saw blades from another country seems over the top.
Another reason I decided on that one is that it has the same clearance the entire length of the blade. It's not triangular like,say, the Sven saw. So the entire blade can be used, even on thick logs.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Possibly, but tools like axes tend to have a very long life, heirloom items in fact. As you say, saws, not so much.

Appropos of absolutely nothing, I've just ordered a Thomas Flinn hand sharpenable 3' one man crosscut saw. Whe it turns up, it'll be interesting to see how a hand saw that costs in the same price range as an SFA performs. Be fun to try a craftsman made saw since we all have experience of craftsman made axes

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do you rate their saws then Robin? I must say I like the idea of being able to maintain a saw in the way I maintain my axes and chainsaws.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Be fun to try a craftsman made saw since we all have experience of craftsman made axes

My current new best friend is £30 quids worth of Taiwan made, Cold Steel tomahawk. Cheap, mass produced (drop forged) and comes with a horrible black paint job and the roughest flat ground edge I've ever seen on a cutting tool. But, a little tlc and it it turns into a cracking little tool. I stripped the paint off, re-profiled it to a polished, convex edge, treated it with Birchwood Casey's Plum Brown Barrel Finish, made a leather mask for it (it doesnt come with a sheath) and oiled the shaft.

hawkplum07.jpg

hawksheath05.jpg

I'm liking this more than any of the GB's I own. The 2 1/4 inch blade is too narrow for serious cross cutting, and it's too light, with a total weight of 600g including handle. But paired to a decent saw like a Silky, it's liberated from that task and becomes a very useful little tool.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a riflemans hawk...and a throwing hawk (which serves mainly as a fun toy with rounds of wood as the target) :)

I tend to agree on a light axe - the one I had Cegga make up weighs much the same - 650g IIRC - much lighter than an SFA anyway cost was about a tenner more but I did get a mask ;)

I like either more, or less, than an SFA. The length of helve on the Scandinavian is more to my taste for something I can lug about when serious work is required (torque and all that), or something lighter (like the Cegga Hunter) when I just want to process some smaller stuff for cooking.

Still, the saw should be fun - it'll be very interesting to evaluate how well it works - and keeping it in shape will teach me a new skill :)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE